RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for best methods for making Point Form Dies accurately every time

Boolit Buddy

In my opinion, a lot of us with the interest and drive to make dies and presses and with at least some shop exp. could do a nice job making the projects we discuss IF we had the proper machines and tools to begin.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjake View Post
    In my opinion, a lot of us with the interest and drive to make dies and presses and with at least some shop exp. could do a nice job making the projects we discuss IF we had the proper machines and tools to begin.
    I agree completely, but unless you are in the business, few have the means much less the space to create a machine shop. I own a small drill/mill and a mini-lathe, but getting the accuracy needed out of my toys is more luck than skill.

Since I powder coat a bore rider reforming die as BT sniper described I believe is a doable project with minimal equipment but equipment capable of accuracy. Close is not good enough, a cast bullet that comes out of the mold is close. Basically, for a 30 caliber, the nose of the cast bullet would be reformed to fit the lands, (.300" would work on most) and the band (no lube grooves needed for PC) to .309". A mold or custom mold that dropped an undersized bullet to begin with would be an asset. With reforming dies I think even an accurate spire point design may be possible.

Of course it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a ready made die, especially if enough had an interest to justify a company tooling up to make them. If reforming produced a concentric bullet and PC the jacket, Full Power Long Range Accuracy could be achieved with homemade bullets.

Of course some will say why go to the trouble and expense when you can buy commercial jacketed bullets. My answer is that is true, but just a little while back, 2012 to be exact, the shelves went bare and that is what brought me back into casting and powder coating to begin with.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I agree completely, but unless you are in the business, few have the means much less the space to create a machine shop. I own a small drill/mill and a mini-lathe, but getting the accuracy needed out of my toys is more luck than skill.

Since I powder coat a bore rider reforming die as BT sniper described I believe is a doable project with minimal equipment but equipment capable of accuracy. Close is not good enough, a cast bullet that comes out of the mold is close. Basically, for a 30 caliber, the nose of the cast bullet would be reformed to fit the lands, (.300" would work on most) and the band (no lube grooves needed for PC) to .309". A mold or custom mold that dropped an undersized bullet to begin with would be an asset. With reforming dies I think even an accurate spire point design may be possible.

Of course it might be cheaper in the long run to just buy a ready made die, especially if enough had an interest to justify a company tooling up to make them. If reforming produced a concentric bullet and PC the jacket, Full Power Long Range Accuracy could be achieved with homemade bullets.

Of course some will say why go to the trouble and expense when you can buy commercial jacketed bullets. My answer is that is true, but just a little while back, 2012 to be exact, the shelves went bare and that is what brought me back into casting and powder coating to begin with.
    I am waiting for the tooling to try and make some of these. I can send you some of the finished bullets to test and tell me how utterly horrible they are and how inadequate my skill are for this type of endeavor...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I am waiting for the tooling to try and make some of these. I can send you some of the finished bullets to test and tell me how utterly horrible they are and how inadequate my skill are for this type of endeavor...
    I will be happy to test your bullets and tell you the results, which could not be any worse that what I have done so far. There is a lot to be learned with failure because I learn what doesn't work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123