RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyADvertise hereGraf & Sons
StainLess Steel MediaInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee Precision

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for best methods for making Point Form Dies accurately every time

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I am not familiar with that attachment. What does it attach to? Is is infinitely variable in order to set it up for bullet point tips?
    It is an old tool designed to sharpen drill bits. It holds the bit at an adjustable length has an adjustable angle. The bit held in place swings across a grinding wheel in a sweeping action grinding off enough to renew the cutting edge. It is what you are doing by hand and by eye. My thought was just increase the angle going to a point. I will check mine put and see if there any any problems doing this. This old tool is the best cheap way I know of to sharpen drill bits short of a very expensive commercial sharpening system. Since the bit length is held in place by the tool both the flutes are cut equal.
    Here is one in operation:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-bamSFY3mc

Boolit Master
    This tool will not grind a curve or ogive. If you were very good with it I imagine you might be able to grind a truncated cone. It would need to have a step with a face like an end mill after the conical tip then another angle for the bottom of the bullet.
    As far as grinding regular drill bits, Once you get the hang of doing them by hand it is faster than using a machine or jig to hold the drill. I have been doing very small work all of my life. I am to the point that I can sharpen a .05 MM drill bit by hand. I use eight power glasses or a 10 power loupe for those little guys.
    Grinding tools is a very fun challenge for me. I recently ground a drill bit from a piece of drill rod ...by hand without a jig.
    I have also ground end mills. Not good enough to grind reamers. I can however stone them.
    It saves a lot of money. Especially when a person can buy dull end mills for next to nothing....I look on eBay for used carbide end mills that need sharpening.
    I can't do as good of a job as new but I get them to work well for me.
    Last edited by Traffer; 07-10-2018 at 03:37 PM.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Boolit Master
    GONRA's Eccentric Spindle Indexer Tooling is "just that". RADIAL RELIEF!!!

You would to have to ADD ogive FORM tooling.
    "You never get something for nothing"..
    Last edited by GONRA; 07-16-2018 at 06:42 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA's Eccentric Spindle Indexer Tooling is "just that". RADIAL RELIEF!!!

You would to have to ADD ogive FORM tooling. "You never get something for nothing"..
    The tool I was referring to in post #22 is the drill bit sharpener mentioned by Dragonheart. My post was to emphasize the fact that it was the ogive that was the difficult part to grind. And indeed it is. As Gonra knows, grinding curves requires more sophisticated jiggery than comes with a typical drill bit sharpener.
    AKA hans.pcguy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12