Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: CH powder bushings

Boolit Buddy

CH powder bushings

Anyone know where I can get any CH powder bushings or if another brand will fit.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    contact CH4 I got some from them then copied and made up a set

I agree with Preacher -- their cost is way too expensive for what they are ---

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, I was afraid of that.

Boolit Master

All they are is 5/8" round stock .010" less than 1/2" long. Get someone to cut 5/8 round stock .490" long for you and use different size drills to make your bushings. I have about 23 bushings made that way and can load from 2.3/Bullseye to 13 grs of Blue dot. and practically anything in between. I bet if you took a piece of 5/8 to a machine shop they would cut off a bunch at .490 pretty reasonably than all you have to do is drill them. The hole does not have to be exactly centered.

PS. If you decide to do that I can give you a chart with my hole sizes and the powder amounts they throw.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3747.jpg  
    Last edited by fecmech; 04-28-2018 at 11:11 PM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Now, I for one would love for you to post that chart --

Boolit Master

Now, I for one would love for you to post that chart --
    I will measure the bushing holes over the next day or so and post them along with the chart I've compiled. These are not CH bushings but bushings I drilled some 40 years ago. I have a set of -pin gauges to measure them with as I no longer remember what drills I used. I just labeled them alphabetically with the amounts of various powders they throw.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    they were based on number drills. I did the conversions on several powders in the 70's and still have the chart I made somewhere. Will look for it

"based on number drills" -- that never occurred to me -- I have a couple so will check --

Boolit Master

I finally got around to measuring bushings. I was unable to measure the smallest bushings because my pin gauge set starts at .251 and up through the "D" bushing they are all smaller, sorry about that. #3&4 are stock CH bushings so their chart may be used, #6 was drilled so the CH chart does not apply. Sorry for the charts being sideways. I wanted to get as close as possible with the camera because of my lousy handwriting and photoviewer for some reason would not let me save them repositioned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3748.jpg   DSCN3751.jpg   DSCN3752.jpg  

thanks --

Banned
    fecmech, you could scan them on your printer and save as a PDF. that way you can post them in a clear and easily readable size.

Ken

Yes 5/8 cold rolled rod (or better yet 12L14) cut and faced to .490 OAL. The number on the bushing is the hole size in Thou. You can use brass or aluminum rod too.

The reason to make your own is that sometimes you need a size that is in between what C&H sells. You can also single point bore the hole to a size in between drill sizes to get exactly what you need.

With Ball powder these PM's drop +/-.1 all day long so if you tweak your bushings a little you can get nearly exact powder drops.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

[QUOTE]With Ball powder these PM's drop +/-.1 all day long [/QUOTE)
    Same same with Bullseye. Another little interesting factoid, whatever velocity you get from a given bushing in BE you will get the same velocity with 231 from that bushing. The weight will be different but the velocity in .38/.357 will be the same.I've scanned the chart in PDF, hope this helps. My abbreviations: LS= longshot, LG=little gun, BD=Blue dot, PP=power pistol
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fecmech; 05-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Banned
    The PDF helps a lot, thank you.

Ken

' deed so -- saves a lot of squintin' -- thanks fecmech