Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap muffin tins

Cheap muffin tins

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180426_190738-1328x747.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	219340
    Bought a cheap muffin tin at the dollar store. Didn't turn out well. I won't do that again, I had to rip them apart! The quality muffin tin works fine. Pain in the butt. I guess I will be investing in some molds or cast iron muffin tins.

Boolit Buddy

Have you tried talking the ingots out of the tin a bit earlier, I've had several refuse to release if they were allowed to cool to long in the tin.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    If you let the dollar store muffin and loaf pans rust they work really well. I made the same mistake. Alloy acted like solder.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

They were really soldered in! They were also brand new and the coating must have cause the lead to stick. If I use these again I will burn the coating off first and then let it rust a little as suggested. They were pretty hot when I tried to get them out the first time.

If you spray them with penetrating oil first and lightly wipe leaving a film of oil the lead will drop right out . If you can use kroil on a mold and it works then this will work for you as it has for me .Marvin

i sprayed mine with frankford mold release , i can pour the last of my furnace into my dollar store muffin tin and dump the ingots out days later when i need the lead or mold. about the only use ive found for the stuff

Boolit Master

If you check the flea markets it is common to find cast iron cornbread muffin pans on the cheap. I picked up 3 for under $20.00. They work great.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

I really didn't expect them to stick like that seeing as i didn't have a problem with the other tin I've been using. I shall remember to spray them if I ever use this type again but I am going to get some cast iron molds to pour my ingots. The flea market is probably my best shot. I've seen them when I wasn't looking for them. Will the cast iron molds release easily or should I spray them? I could rub some kroil on them just to be sure.

Boolit Master

I second letting the dollar store molds rust a bit first. That's what i did. Scouring them and putting some salt water in them helps speed it. The first ones i used from Walmart soldered themselves into the cups and broke out from the weight. Dollar store ones worked better. I also enjoy going the Second Hand stores. Found some little bread pans that make perfect 10lb ingots.
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I was at a flea market and picked up a chrome plated voltage regulator cover for 25 cents that makes a nice little loaf of lead. That was a little sticky too but I got it out ok. I will lube that up before I use it again that's for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    These might work better than flimsy tinplate muffin pans. Just spit balling from the sidelines.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/lod...s/530L5P3.html

Wow! Cast iron, made in the USA and less than $15. What's not to like about that. Thanks for the link.

Boolit Buddy
    These have a handle to pickup with and a loop on the other end you can grab with a pair of pliers. Ingots weigh about 2 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8CB3-C.../dp/B00063RXK6

Boolit Master

My mistake w cheap muffin tins is better! I was melting aluminum scrap to use later, wanting nice uniform pucks for the same reason we like our lead that way. I neglected to notice the thrift store muffin tray was awfully light to be steel...
    Yep, I poured molten aluminum into an aluminum tray... good thing I was outside on the driveway.

I second the suggestion to let the steel rust. You can rust it quick by heating and spraying it w vinegar. I rusted my lead molds and they release fine.

BDGR

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
    These have a handle to pickup with and a loop on the other end you can grab with a pair of pliers. Ingots weigh about 2 pounds.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-L8CB3-C.../dp/B00063RXK6
    That is exactly what I use to supplement my lee ingot mold. It worked pretty well, I should have let it rust over a bit for easier mold releasing, but I didn't have too much issue.

I use stainless condiment cops I got at Walmart. I bought about 20 @ less than a buck a piece. I use a big pair of channel lock pliers and dip them in like a ladle. Each ingot weighs a pound or so. Although I've never weighed one.
    Ky State Director IHMSA
    Hunter Ed Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    Did the same thing with some tins from Walmart for 88 cents a piece. Had to peel them out of the tins.

Had some graphite spray from Lowes, label on can said it was good to 800 degrees. Sprayed the next tin with the graphite and they have dropped like rain ever since.

Have moved on to a wilt on 8 cavity mini loaf pan that casts 3 to 3.5 lb ingots , and they drop fine from the first cast.

All very helpful posts with lots of ingot mold suggestions and low cost options at that. I must have read a thousand posts which said that you won't save money by casting and handloading and brother let me tell you it's the truth and not an exaggeration! I believe it has become an addiction. I will eventually save money right?

I had the same thing happen with a tin/steel muffin pan. It worked fine once, then everything stuck. Had to cut the ingot out.

I later found done aluminum pans. I haven't tried them yet, but have confidence they will be better.

Since i got a cheap welder, i have been wanting to try and make some from angle iron and flat stock. Mainly just to have something to tinker with.

Sent from an unnamed device running an undisclosed OS via a third party application.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjdd23 View Post
    All very helpful posts with lots of ingot mold suggestions and low cost options at that. I must have read a thousand posts which said that you won't save money by casting and handloading and brother let me tell you it's the truth and not an exaggeration! I believe it has become an addiction. I will eventually save money right?
    Maybe not. But you will be able to shoot more for the same money if you can get your lead and tin cheap enough. Plus you learn how to tailor your ammo to your gun(s) for increased accuracy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast