Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Red Dot behind 300 AAC - Not cast

Boolit Buddy

Red Dot behind 300 AAC - Not cast

I tried this in another area, but no response. Possibly the wrong place to ask...
    My 300 AAC is proving that it hates 150 grain bullets. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that I've got about 1000 bullets, a dozen different kinds, that I bought from an estate, and I'd love to at least try to get accuracy out of them.
    My typical powder for 300 AAC is IMR4227, but no reasonably safe powder charge is giving me even 2 inch groups consistently. Since the barrel is a 1:7 twist, I'm wondering if I can't launch 150 grain projectiles subsonic, using Red Dot. I assume it will be single shot, since it's pretty much a guarantee the action won't cycle fully on a semiauto.
    I've looked through the forums, but of course while discussions often get started, it's hard to find an answer as far as anyone getting consistency.
    "Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts.." - C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

Boolit Master

Can’t help with red dot but h110 /w296 is a winner with 140-155 both cast and jacketed .

Boolit Master

2nd H110, I've used it w/150s and they performed quite well. But, they shine in supers with 110 in the Barnes Blacktip, or the Nosler 110 Varmageddon. For subs, 220 is where it's at.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

+1 for H110.

Boolit Master
    Ramshot Enforcer, H110, IMR4227, AA1680 are recommended, all are magnum pistol/very fast rifle powders.
    IMO I would not use red dot.

Check out page 81 of the Lyman AR reloading handbook they list accuracy loads for the 300 there. I have not tried them but their accuracy load for the 325g 458 SOCOM from that book is a definite winner.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Master

Can't say about the 110 , the only powder I've tried so far is Win 296 and saw 2" group @50yds (with most rounds in an 1.25") first try so I'm going to try some fine tuning and see what happens.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    I am getting sub 1 inch groups, with 125 gr supersonic loads and with 230 gr cast slugs using lil gun!

I use the 150 sp with h110/296, very accurate in 1:10 or 1:7.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I use Lil Gun with 150 gr and 168 gr jacketed bullets and get great groups. Sometimes groups are better at 200 yds than 100 yds. Dont understand why, but............

Boolit Buddy

I have had excellent results from Lil-gun, H110 and 296. I did just recently try some CFE black with 125gr sierra's and those worked well also.
    "Yes or no will almost always suffice as the answer"

Boolit Master

I was using mp300 and it ran flawlessly but that was not subsonic , and they were 150 grains fmj , have switched to shooters world blackout , seems like the subsonics listed are usually the heavier bullets . shooters world blackout was cheaper then other powders , also got some socom powder all list loads for the 300aac and doing a little research in that speed range there is not much difference in a few of the ball powders. Not going to waste time on the subsonics till they change the laws regarding silencers or suppressors whatever one wants to call them.

Boolit Master

Lilgun or H110 here for the 150s. Very good groups.

Boolit Master
    Hodgdons newer powder CFE-BLK seems to work well from supers down to subs , worth a try it is a very fine ball powder.
    I have only done much with supers but it is working very well for that.
    Whatever you be , Be a good one