RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pulling the trigger before racking a round.

Boolit Grand Master

Pulling the trigger before racking a round.

Over 45 years ago, I was taught to depress the trigger before racking the slide on a semi-auto. We shot 1911's, S&W M52's, High Standards, S&W M41's, etc.

Is this a safe, or recommended, practice with guns like the Glock, Springfield XD etc? How about on the Beretta 92?

Thanks
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy

I can't imagine doing that as a common practice. It doesn't sound safe.
    Jeff

Boolit Master
    Why would you do something like that?

I am 65 years old and been shooting handguns since around 17 years of age and have never heard anything like that.
    Who taught you to do that?
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 04-26-2018 at 03:31 PM.

Boolit Master
    That sounds like a recipe for an unintended bang.

Boolit Master

On the 1911 that is exactly what happens every time you shoot it, the slide chambers a round with you holding the trigger back from the previous shot. The disconnector prevents the pistol from firing.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I can only speak to 1911's, but in order not to batter your sear and to maintain your good and expensive trigger job, you have two choices. Hold the hammer back when you let the slide go forward or hold the trigger back. Both methods accomplish the same task. As someone else said, holding the trigger back is the same as what happens every shot you take.
    Phil

Having witnessed first hand a 1911 and a S&W Model 59 go full auto, I wouldn't recommend it. The 1911 was in one of our Handgun Safety Classes about 6 years ago, and the Model 59 was when I was the rangemaster for our dept. back in the late 1970's. Mechanical devices sometimes fail..........

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

I must not be understanding the drill. Before racking the slide, you are pulling the trigger? Or just putting tension on it?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Accidents happen when I pull the trigger I want my pistol aimed where the bullet can't hit anything I do not intend to shoot.
    Fine tuned autos can jump a sear 45 acp 1911 can fire a primer if hammer sitting on half cock notch not in it as I said accidents do happen.

Banned
    Sounds to me like bad instruction. Whenever an instructor says "Do this." it should always be followed by a "Why you do this."

Boolit Bub
    When I began shooting handguns 35 years ago, A lot of Bullseye shooters, using target grade 1911 45s, would hold the trigger back before releasing the slide on a loaded magazine. The slide slamming closed on the lighter than usual trigger pull weights could sometimes cause the trigger to bounce and possibly firing the gun. I have ever seen this done on any other guns. Done on a range in the formalized and structured setting of Bullseye shooting, where range and safety rules are strictly enforced, this was not a dangerous practice.

Never heard of that, never done that, never seen anybody else do that.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    I used to hold the trigger down when racking the slide on a pump action 22 rifle...it would go bang when I did that. Then I would continue to rack them as quickly as I could with the trigger down to see if I could make it go bang very fast. I know that has nothing to do with a semi-auto but I thought I would share it anyway.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Over 45 years ago, I was taught to depress the trigger before racking the slide on a semi-auto. We shot 1911's, S&W M52's, High Standards, S&W M41's, etc.

Is this a safe, or recommended, practice with guns like the Glock, Springfield XD etc? How about on the Beretta 92?

Thanks
    no this is NOT A SAFE thing to do with a Glock, Springfield XD or a Beretta 92.

this firearms have a far different system than the 1911

Boolit Master

I've never seen or heard of this a a common practice also I've been specifically told on a 41 Smith not to ever dryfire. It might crazy but after shooting my model 41 and prior putting away I place a spent case and pull the trigger as so not to leave tension on the trigger spring.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Master
    it was the drill on 1911's when they had a very lite triger. it kept the hammer from fallowing the slide forward.

Boolit Man
    I have a little experience with bullseye 1911s. Every Smith doing my triggers would advise me to pull the trigger back before releasing the slide. What I was told was this practice prevents the sear from being damaged by the hammer hooks. I've been doing this with 1911s for 30 yrs.

We still need to refrain from covering anything with the muzzle, no matter what method we use to close the slide.

I don't suggest doing this with any other design firearm.

I've heard of it for target 1911s.

Boolit Grand Master
    Some of you have learned something. Good job to those who knew it! It is the best way to run a tuned 1911.

I was also told, that with the trigger depressed, the disconnector will not allow the gun to go into full auto if the first round goes off as the slide rams the first round into the chamber.

The man who told me this was an accomplished Bullseye shooter who shot Clark’s. I was a kid and listened to him. But I wanted to hear what others thought of the practice.

Now....why would Glocks etc be any different? My other SD pistols are Glocks and Kahrs. I will contact the manufactures and report back.

BTW, I stopped the practice when I started using Berettas, Glocks etc as I did not know if it was a good idea. I was worried that my muscle memory would fail me when switching guns. My gut tells me it should work but I am not sure.
    Don Verna

But~But~But I thought the gun was unloaded...

ETA the number one cause of negligent discharge is the booger hook on the bang switch when it should not be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast