Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First 310

Boolit Master

First 310

Well, I won my first 310 on gubroker and received it today. Listing said 310 handles and 270 die kit. Well, we are missing the muzzle resizer die and the expander ball is way too big. I am on the hunt for either the 278 or 280 neck expander ball and the muzzle resizer die. Have another bid in on gun broker on a complete boxed set of 270 dies! Please don't bid me up, house management would not approve further action. I told her this is for when I get bored on vacation with her parents. Theres only so much reading on the beach I can take. Gonna need some lee dippers too! Its funny how you start on a tangent of a hobby and then go full throttle down the rabbit hole. Anybody else experience it like this?

Boolit Master
    If you don't find what you're looking for, I probably have the spare parts for what you need. Check out the 310 swap thread.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master

The pull through expander die is for the TrueLine, Jr. The 310 die is just a sizing/decapping die with a separate muzzle expander as you know. If the die has an expander ball inside the die don't try to use it in the 310 - you don't have enough leverage.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    Cant even get brass to go in it with that expander ball in the way!

Remove the decapping stem and use it as a neck sizing die only. I'll dig around and see if I have a extra 310 button in the parts box I can just send you. Shoot me a pm.

Boolit Master
    This forum is such a great community, thank you to all who are helping me get this set together for use.

Boolit Master
    I removed the decapping stem, and the brass falls through, no sizing. I think this die might be for 30 06...Yup, decaps 30 06 by does nothing for sizing that case.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    Well, I won my first 310 on gubroker and received it today. Listing said 310 handles and 270 die kit. Well, we are missing the muzzle resizer die and the expander ball is way too big. I am on the hunt for either the 278 or 280 neck expander ball and the muzzle resizer die. Have another bid in on gun broker on a complete boxed set of 270 dies! Please don't bid me up, house management would not approve further action. I told her this is for when I get bored on vacation with her parents. Theres only so much reading on the beach I can take. Gonna need some lee dippers too! Its funny how you start on a tangent of a hobby and then go full throttle down the rabbit hole. Anybody else experience it like this?
    Can’t help with the expander die for a 270, but can really relate to disappearing down rabbit holes! Let me repeat the warning about an expander ball on the muzzle sizing die (or combination MR and decapper.). If it has an expander ball on the decapping stem, it’s meant to be used with a press and no good will come of using it with a tong tool! You just won’t have the needed leverage to get it back out after you size the neck down. You want a separate expander die with the properly sized stem to do mouth belling as a single operation. You see the same principle with Lyman’s modern “M” dies. Also, lots of people just loaded jacketed bullets in their 270s back then so there was no need to bell the case mouths.

In the 50+ years since Lyman quit making a lot of those sets there has been a lot of mixing and matching as people tried to put “sets” together. It can be a real minefield for the uninitiated, so don’t hesitate to come here for help and advice... we’ve all been through it if we’ve been at this very long.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

What's the number on the outside of the die?

Boolit Master
    Looked all over this die and can't find a number anywhere on it or the decapping stem.

Boolit Grand Master
    The expander dies came in three lengths (for various case lengths) that were unmarked, but they usually had the diameter of the expander stamped on the top of the screw-in stem. You are probably looking for a medium or long die with a stem marked two seventy something.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I didn't see anything marked on the top of the stem, but there is on spot of rust I missed scrubbing it. Will scrub it down when I get home from work.

Boolit Master

I didn't see anything marked on the top of the stem, but there is on spot of rust I missed scrubbing it. Will scrub it down when I get home from work.
    I do believe it is time to call telephone technical support.

Check your PMs for the telephone number.

Boolit Master
    Looking at cynauctions.com, there are two diagrams for the 310 with dies that have a shell expansion chamber with expanding plug. Is this for pistols or rifles? Or both?

Boolit Grand Master
    Looking at cynauctions.com, there are two diagrams for the 310 with dies that have a shell expansion chamber with expanding plug. Is this for pistols or rifles? Or both?
    It seems to have been assumed that rifle loaders would be using jacketed bullets, so the belling die would have been superfluous. OTOH, all of the pistol sets I’ve ever seen came from Lyman with the expander die. Of course rules like this seem to have been pretty flexible back then @ Lyman!

Froggie

From you description it sounds like your trying to size with a universal decapping chamber that someone put a 270 bell on to hold the decapping pin on the rod. Post some pictures if the dies and handles you have and we can help you sort this out.

270 is # 153 in both sizing and seat dies --
    To start from go you need:
    Handles, large -- handle adapter - DeCap die -- MR #153 -- expander die with plug (280) -- prime die -- da seater #153
    OR
    Handles -- handle adaprer - CMR die #153 - expander w/plug - primer -- da seater --
    --
    I can probably help you with what you need -- when you find out what you actually need --- Even a full length hand sizer --

I agree with previous poster, you have a deCap die with a sizing ball on the decap stem --
    Last edited by Pavogrande; 04-27-2018 at 01:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Ill try to post pics as soon as I get home.

Boolit Master
    For some reason the pictures will not upload. Is someone willing to post them for me?

Boolit Master

For some reason the pictures will not upload. Is someone willing to post them for me?
    How to post pictures is not clear. There is a telephone technical support number for that, too!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast