Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schrade knives

Boolit Master

Schrade knives

Anybody know when Schrade knife production began to be done off-shore??
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    In July 2004, the year the company celebrated its 100th anniversary, the factory in Ellenville was closed. The Schrade name was purchased by Taylor Brands LLC, who continue to manufacture products under the Schrade brand as well as Old Timer, Uncle Henry, Imperial & Smith & Wesson knives.

In July 2016, Smith and Wesson Holding Corporation announced that its Battenfeld Technologies division was to purchase Taylor Brands.[11]
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Grand Master

I carried Old Timer or Uncle Henery knives most of my life and did lots of wood carving with them. I suddenly couldn't get them sharpened well enough to use. It was a new knife of my favorite brand so I tried for a replacement or refund.No dice but, I found they were being made across the chinese river. Since then I have luckily found some NOS, and have several in my nightstand. Good luck finding good ones anymore.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

I had some of the large stockman , great blades for everything , when they went away I switched to camillus , and funny thing is my father gave me a larger stockman with a red handle made in china , leaks stain still after years of owning but it holds a edge and sharpens to a nice edge . On another note used to be able to buy leather wallets at the local western store , they went out of business and have to have them custom made to get the same style , as no one carries that heavy duty style .

I carry an old timer 34 OT or 340T as its commonly known. You can get a vintage old timer off ebay for less than 20 bucks and its well worth looking if you need a good pocket knife.

Boolit Buddy
    I lived near the Schrade factory as a kid, one of my friends used to raid their dumpster for rejects and sell them for 1$. Most just had a scratch or something minor wrong with them.

They ran into trouble with heat treatment at some point and their knives failed to hold an edge. Didn't know they were chinese now. I probably still have a few laying in the back of a drawer somewhere.

Boolit Master
    Similar story to laventti, we didn't live close enough to raid the dumpster but once we got our wheels we were over there in a regular basis going through the outlet store. I lost most of them over the years but still have my bone handled folder on my reloading bench. Still holds a good edge despite my abuse in the military. The "big" knife was eventually pushed off my belt by a more practical Leatherman.

When I last passed by a year or two ago the factory was still standing but looked mostly abandoned.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    When I last passed by a year or two ago the factory was still standing but looked mostly abandoned.
    Sad story repeated all over the country during the last administrations. Locally there are cement slabs and cracked parking lots left from world famous furniture factories. The plant I worked for has had two more tenants and also sits empty with weeds and trash. It's a sad commentary on the once proud community where unemployment was none existant.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Boolit Master

When they sold I read they closed the doors and generations of workers who worked there their whole lives were jobless. I read that at times there were 3 generations of families all working there at the same time.

Battenfield is Midway USA.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    A few months ago when I was on a business call, a knife collector at the store saw me open a box with my old Shrade folding pocket knife and told me how valuable it was even after decades of use. I was stunned but I still carry it. A knife, like a much loved old rifle, is meant to be used.

a 70's vintage Oldtimer 130T skinned a lot of deer for me, still have it.
    loading 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 223 Rem, 22-250, 220 Swift, 6MM Rem, 6.5X55, 7X57, 7-30 Waters, 30-06 , 32-20 Win, 303 British, 38/357 , 12 and 20 gauge

Boolit Master

I bought an old Schrade in the 80's from my dad's gun shop. Carried it and skinned a deer with it, if I recall correctly. Still have the original box and everything. Beautiful knife. Probably worth well over the $30 or so I paid for it back then...

I have the Golden Spike...

Attachment 219355

I guess like many others here I've had a knife in my pocket of one brand or another for 50 years. Case, Camillus, Boker and Old Timer's. Once Cold Steel began producing Carbon IV pocket knives in the stock man style (my preferred), that was all I carried. I put several back (a Trapper style as well) and figured I was good to go. In short, I'm knife poor.

I have 3 Schrade Waldens as well, one a smaller dress knife style and two stock man sized. I had an uncle who was a barber and a butcher who once told me "Son, if you ever get your hands on one that says Shcrade Walden, then you have a knife". I got on the auction sites and scored all three still new in the tubes over the next several months. Man did I ever get lucky on those! What I paid for the three of them was a pittance to what one of them new in the wrap (all pre 1970's knives) will cost you now when you find one.

Yep, hard to beat a Schrade.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

my mother gave me a Schrade for my 18 birth day I carried that knife till I was 62 when the first time the blade lock failed on it I retired it and called Schrade they wanted me to send it in for a replacement knife I told the lady on the phone thank you but my mother had given it to me and I would just as soon not get a replacement on it and loose that knife she asked my address and about a week later I got a new knife in the mail a Chinese made one and it still in the box on a shelf above the computer D Crockett

In Remembrance

Back in the 80`s and working in a grey iron foundry as a pipefitter I sold Shrade knives as a side line. I would bring in a box of 25 LB-7 folders and would sell them all by days end. I sold them for 3/4 of what they normally sold for which was near $50 as I recall. I did this once a month, I sold other of their knives from a catalog I always had handy.Robert

Boolit Master

Reason to buy Case. Buy every old Schrade.
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

I bought a, med. sized, plastic folder in WM in 2000 or so for $20. Its still good and opened a few clams. Its a half serrated and says USA on blade.

In Remembrance

I recently went to an auction to buy reloading supplies, which I did. They also had some knives, two older Old timers, two Buck hunting knives with scabbards, a WWII M1 bayonet with scabbard, a Leatherman Super tool. I won choice at $8 and took them all. ��

Boolit Master
    i was never fond of buck knives i have about four of differiant models have a hard time getting an edgeon them. i have a new 340t that is shaving sharp. best huntingknife is my boy scout knife made by western.
    Last edited by bob208; 05-04-2018 at 09:53 PM.

I still have the Scrade Walden Bowie that Dad bought for me at the Western Auto on my 12th birthday. The red plastic trim cracked and the leather handles were worn so I restocked it with walnut. When I took it apart I was amazed that the blade and end cap were welded as if one piece. Lots of animals have been field dressed and skinned with it. Another favorite is an Old Timer drop point "sharp finger". I wasn't a fan of Buck or Case but I could name all their models, too back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast