PBcastcoWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: CLOSED - 41 MP Mold 413-265-WNFP

Boolit Master
    Count me in for a 2-cav GC w/ ALL pins (NOTE: Miha - PLEASE do PENTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!)

Ya' know... Miha does GB's on his website now... so I'm curious why we are still doing these 1-2 YEAR wait times (AKA: 6.5 Swedish CRUISE MISSILE - which NEVER HAPPENED.) What's the deal here? (Texas hold'em - Is Miha "ALL IN" like WE are?)

I'm not a kid... 64 in October. Every day is a 'day of grace'. (Ask 'Junior42' - gone TOO SOON).

Boolit Master
    PS (for 'newbies'): JUNIOR was THE SKS HOG RIFLE King.... (www.frugaloutdoorsman.com). I do miss his company on this forum.

(Search for LeveRevolution by Larry Gibson and it will give you MEGA-load data - with pressure test graphs).

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by NYBushBro View Post
    Count me in for a 2-cav GC w/ ALL pins (NOTE: Miha - PLEASE do PENTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!)

Ya' know... Miha does GB's on his website now... so I'm curious why we are still doing these 1-2 YEAR wait times (AKA: 6.5 Swedish CRUISE MISSILE - which NEVER HAPPENED.) What's the deal here? (Texas hold'em - Is Miha "ALL IN" like WE are?)

I'm not a kid... 64 in October. Every day is a 'day of grace'. (Ask 'Junior42' - gone TOO SOON).
    NYBushBro, I can put you down for a 2 cav GC with all the pins and a note with a request for the penta point, but what shall I use for your disguised email address please?

Boolit Master
    mopedmedic AT hotmail DOT com

I'm A Honcho!
    Updated with 8 molds.

Boolit Master
    bttt...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    This morning I measured the cylinder length of the Ruger .41 Mag Bisley. It measured 1.672". Something had to be off. Ruger cylinders are not shorter than S&W. I re-measured the S&W 657 and got 1.670.
    I am assuming you measured just cylinders' length, without case rim.

OAL of the loaded round; 1.285+.430=1.715

If so, this boolit will be OK for Redhawk, but I am afraid too long for Blackhawk and S&W, almost flash with front face of the cylinder.

Am I missing something?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Onty View Post
    I am assuming you measured just cylinders' length, without case rim.

OAL of the loaded round; 1.285+.430=1.715

If so, this boolit will be OK for Redhawk, but I am afraid too long for Blackhawk and S&W, almost flash with front face of the cylinder.

Am I missing something?
    OK! Lets start over. I went back and measured both the S&W 657 and the Ruger Stainless Blackhawk. I will just call each of them 1.672"(the Smith varied .002 when rotated). I then measured a new Starline .41 Mag case. OAL=1.280" Rim=.050"

1.280-.050=1.230"
    1.230 +.430=1.660"
    Using MAX of 1.285-.050(rim) +.430=1.665"

Even if brass is max length, this boolit should still work although very close. Trimming brass to 1.280, if necessary, would give a little more clearance.

Again, someone should check my thinking on this.

The Lyman Cast Bullet Manual shows 1.280" as the "trim to" length, same as my actual measurement. Starline website has a range of 1.275-1.285.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I would feel more comfortable if someone would either point out an error in my last post or confirm its' accuracy. I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Granted there is very little room at the end of the cylinder. Close to max loads must be well crimped or what little clearance there is will disappear and possibly tie up the gun. I'm going to watch it very closely when I get the mold.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I would feel more comfortable if someone would either point out an error in my last post or confirm its' accuracy. I sometimes can't see the forest for the trees.

Granted there is very little room at the end of the cylinder. Close to max loads must be well crimped or what little clearance there is will disappear and possibly tie up the gun. I'm going to watch it very closely when I get the mold.
    That is the reason why I even obtained 357 Maximum BH cylinder, hoping to make full length withing frame, and line bored it. Couldn't find smith in Canada to do the job, so I gave up. On top of that, stainless revolvers are the one I prefer for shooting; much less chance for corrosion, and in case I made scratch, couple strokes with adequate abrasive, and it looks like new.

Do not get me wrong, I just love look of blued guns, but the only one I will have (hopefully) is one of those Webley Wilkinson revolvers.
    Last edited by Onty; 07-14-2018 at 07:30 PM.

Just checked my BH 4-5/8" 41mag.

Componets

MP 413265 Hps & solids
    starline 41mag brass
    Case trim length 1.283"

Loaded
    crimp at grove (heavy)
    Col 1.710"
    Clearance from boolit to front of cylinder when loaded 0.020
    19.5gr H110

Measured using RCBS metal calipers.

No problems with boolit jumping crimp in the BH or my Henry Big Boy.

Hope this helps.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

I would like a 2 cavity PB with all pins.

bradleyk4860 AT gmail DOT com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Just checked my BH 4-5/8" 41mag.

Componets

MP 413265 Hps & solids
    starline 41mag brass
    Case trim length 1.283"

Loaded
    crimp at grove (heavy)
    Col 1.710"
    Clearance from boolit to front of cylinder when loaded 0.020
    19.5gr H110

Measured using RCBS metal calipers.

No problems with boolit jumping crimp in the BH or my Henry Big Boy.

Hope this helps.
    My apology for "Johnny come lately", but I would appreciate if you could tell us what is OAL of boolit itself, with GC.

Thanks

Boolit Master

My apology for "Johnny come lately", but I would appreciate if you could tell us what is OAL of boolit itself, with GC.

Thanks
    Site is up to old tricks. Quoted my post in notifying email but quotes Minerat in the post above.

I only used the crimp groove to nose measurement per the OP. I assume that you would have to get OAL from 2 dogs.
    John
    W.TN

Thanks
    It will depend on what gas check thickness you use.

Mine measures 0.828" with copper gator check installed (416 Hornaday from Blammer) cast with #2 alloy

FYI, as cast no GC length is 0.812"
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

I'm A Honcho!
    I'm not real clear on how or what you guys are trying to figure out with all that math up there. Let's try this:

We know ahead of the crimp groove on this bullet (NTC) we have .430" and a 41 Mag case is supposed to measure 1.290" so if we add that up we get an overall loaded cartridge length of 1.724"

You have to measure your own brass because while .41 Mag brass is supposed to 1.290" it will vary.

Now, slip an empty case in your cylinder. Measure from the back of your case head to the front of the cylinder. If it is longer than our hypothetical 1.724" this bullet will fit when seated and crimped in the crimp groove.

We also know there are 41 Specials and GNR wildcats and Lever action Carbines and revolvers of different makes. So be sure this one suits your needs. I hope this answers your questions.

Boolit Master
    bttt....

Is there any way I could sign on for a 4 cav PB Hitek version of this bullet?

A 6 cav solid Hitek would also be fine.

I'm not sure whether to go with hollow point or solid on this one.
    Last edited by Dr-Greg; 08-03-2018 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added more detail

I'm A Honcho!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr-Greg View Post
    Is there any way I could sign on for a 4 cav PB Hitek version of this bullet?

A 6 cav solid Hitek would also be fine.

I'm not sure whether to go with hollow point or solid on this one.
    Well Sir, how about you decide and I will list it! I am pretty sure I would get that 4 cavity hollow point because you can still cast the solids if you like.

Ok please put me down for a 4 cav PB Hitek version with all pins

greg ((att)) watch mans tower ((dott)) comm

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast