WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sharps 74 vs 75

Boolit Master

sharps 74 vs 75

Been thinking about a rifle in 38-55. How would a 75 sharps do ? I've got a couple of Shiloh Sharps 74's but they are both 45-70. I was thinking about something a little different but I don't know a lot about 75's.

Boolit Grand Master

I consider the C Sharps 1875model when I got my 38-55 actually priced one out on the web site. I decided on the High Wall model in 38-55. I liked the center mounted hammer faster lock time and looks of it a little more. Barrel quality is more the determining factor on these single shot rifles. I opted for a 30" long 1-12 twist barrel. C Sharps was using McGowen barrels then ( about 3 years ago) Mine shoots great with 360 grn bullets out to 500 yds.

What uses are you planning on for this rifle? That will determine a lot on what to get. Shiloh Sharps has several options in1874s and1877s. C Sharps offers 1874s, 1875s, High walls, low walls, Hepburns, and 1877s. Pedersoli also has several options for rifles. Hunting, plinking, formal competitions, Ect will determine what is wanted. You can go to Shilohs or C Sharps web sites and price out the rifle you want, just the way you want it. I'm not sure if the 75 has a double set trigger option but think it does offer a single set upgrade. desired rifle weight will determine the barrel contour you want. Sights are again determined by use. Hunting the buck horn and front blade or drilled and tapped for a scope. For most competitions and plinking the tang mounted Vernier and spirit level front globe or a wind gage front globe. Triggers wood upgrades and most of the rest are personal choices.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    As the action of the 75 is somewhat slimmer than the 74, it's actually a better fit for the 38-55 than a 74.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    The dirty little secret is that the original Sharps factory only built two of the 1875 models, a target version and a military model. It was displayed at the Philadelphia Exposition in 1876, and the target model sold to Col. John Bodine for $300, according to Sellers. Bodine shot it, but the 1875 was a two rifle wonder and was never manufactured. The C. Sharps version is a poor copy of the original, brought out as an effort by C. Sharps to have a less expensive "Sharps" for sale when they were trying to get their 1874 production up and running and capitalize on the silhouette craze which was in full bloom at the time. The NRA rules mandated an exposed hammer which disqualified the Borchardt, and the 1875 provided that. Compare the photos of the C. Sharps 1875 to the photos of the only surviving original in Sellers' book, and you will readily see the difference. Be all that as it may, C. Sharps version has a good reputation for accuracy.

I personally think the 1875 Sharps offering looks weird. Just never cared for the design and I too would go for the C Sharps 1885 High Wall if I wanted a smaller action, and lighter/quicker hammer.

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed.

Boolit Master
    I had a C.Sharps 85 in 45-70 it was a well built rifle with awesome wood but it just didn't shoot any better than 3 to 4 inches regardless of the load used and iv'e had the same results with a Browning & Uberti's as well. I was thinking about a rolling block but a buddy of mine offered me a nice 75 with expensive sights and 500 rds of ammo. So its got me thinking.

I like my 75 well enough but I have other rifles I shoot more. If that rifle feels good in your hands then by all means go for it.

Banned

1hawkeye - something to think about, and in keeping with a cartridge a bit smaller than the .45-70, you may find interest in the pedersoli .40-65 silhouette sharps. i have one and was considering opening to a .45-70, but after loading and shooting it, she'll stay as is. DGW has it for $1200, while they're selling that same exact gun in .45-70 for $1650. the .40-65 is a steal, IMHO.

https://www.dixiegunworks.com/index/...ifle%2C+.40-65

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03788.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	219298

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC03790.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	219299

Boolit Master
    I used to have a Montana rough rider in .40-65 and I see Dixie has a pedersoli rolling block in .40-65 that has the wheels turning a little. All though I could get the rough rider back and I might if the deal for the 75 doesn't go through.It's just I've never had a .38-55 before and kinda have a hankering for one.

Banned

can't go wrong with a roller. but the DGW pedi .40-65 roller has been on back order since last summer. think about that pedi sharps .40-65!

Boolit Master

I have a 75 in 38-55 and really like it. I got it for a hunting rifle so it has a 26" Badger barrel but shoots good enough for competition and I have taken several matches with it as well as a couple whitetails. It shoots the Lee 250gr boolit fine for hunting and the Lyman 335gr Postel copy for everything out to 600yd. Mine doesn't have the single set trigger but I have one on my C-Sharps 85 and it makes competition much nicer.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I used to have a Montana rough rider in .40-65 and I see Dixie has a pedersoli rolling block in .40-65 that has the wheels turning a little. All though I could get the rough rider back and I might if the deal for the 75 doesn't go through.It's just I've never had a .38-55 before and kinda have a hankering for one.
    The 38-55 is a fun little cartridge for midrange and hunting. I've seen some used in the long range gong matches, and have used one for the gong matches, but your spotter needs to be on top of his/her game if the wind picks up and you start drifting off target, those bullets don't leave much of a dust cloud when the hit the berm. They lack just a bit of umph to do silhoutte as some times the rams have a tendency to stand there and laugh at you when you hit one below the horizontal center line, but I've had the same thing happen shooting 40-65.
    Keep in mind also if the deals on your local guns fall thru a brand new from the factory 75 with the set trigger will run about 1675 or so. Good luck with your rifle purchasing venture.

The .38-55 is indeed one of my favorite calibers, and a caliber you can shoot all day long and never experience any fatigue or soreness. If the twist rate is quick enough it can also be loaded with heavier 300 gr. bullets and do very well at longer distances. It may not do as well in the wind as a big .40-.45 caliber cartridge, but it is a viable choice. I've used mine out to 650 yds. with no problem, but when winds get over 10 mph sideways it does take some extra effort to stay on a dinger.

Banned

yep, lots depends on the wind. if i were fortunate to live and shoot out on the plains to mountains, then nothing less than a larger .44 or .45 caliber that's backed and packed with plenty of black powder would do. this is perhaps where the .40's can be a good compromise, if recoil was an issue.

there was a croft barker article in a past BPCR News where the .38-55 roller built for his late son had some issues with knocking over the rams, and he got around that with much compressed swiss 3f bp.

Boolit Master
    I'm mainly going to use it for punching paper and gongs at 200 meters and 500 yards.

Banned

imho - perfect for the .40-65, less perfect for the .38-55, overkill for the .45-70 - i'd choose the mama bear cartridge.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    I personally think the 1875 Sharps offering looks weird. Just never cared for the design and I too would go for the C Sharps 1885 High Wall if I wanted a smaller action, and lighter/quicker hammer.
    or perhaps a CPA stevens 44-1/2.

I'm mainly going to use it for punching paper and gongs at 200 meters and 500 yards.
    38-55 will fill that purpose just fine. In fact that's the common distances in Schuetzen matches where the 38-55 really has a grand following. The lyman postel bullet at 300 gr. will shoot quite well out of most rifles stoked with either black or smokeless.

I'd definitely go with the .38-55 for the purpose stated! You'll shoot it a lot more than bigger calibers, just because it's such a pussycat. I sure like the caliber!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast