Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: sharps 74 vs 75

Boolit Master
    My first view of BPCR shooting was when a guy named Al Challenor put his C. Sharps 75 in his Outer’s Rest on a bench and fired 7 shots into the 600 yard target, forming a group I could cover with the palm of my hand. I’m still impressed.

Nothing wrong with them, except lack of traditionality, and they’re generally available off the shelf. I saw a guy at the Quigley who had fitted his with double set triggers; they fit neatly in the lever/trigger guard and made the gun look even cooler. He said he’d sent the design to C. Sharps; I wonder why they don’t offer them as an option.

Boolit Master
    I got a little more info on the 75 my friend has for sale.
    28" octagon barrel,Deluxe mid range tang sight with Hadley eyepiece,globe front sight with spirit level,windgauge,spare inserts,pistol grip stock & 500 rounds of 260gr lead ammo. I think the 1300.00 he's asking is ok and I'm scared to think what that front sight cost him cause I know he's kinda got a taste for only the best.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    One heck of deal at that price.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

If the sights are MVA you can price them out on their web site. If the "deluxe" rear sight is a soule style then its around $350.-$400.00 the Hadley eye cup is around $80.00 and the windgage front is $300.-$350.00 from memory. Is it a standard trigger or a single set trigger? With the sights, eye cup, pistol grip upgrade. Was the wood also upgraded to a fancier grade? This probably isn't a bad price I don't believe you could have C Sharps build one with these options for this amount.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I got a little more info on the 75 my friend has for sale.
    28" octagon barrel,Deluxe mid range tang sight with Hadley eyepiece,globe front sight with spirit level,windgauge,spare inserts,pistol grip stock & 500 rounds of 260gr lead ammo. I think the 1300.00 he's asking is ok and I'm scared to think what that front sight cost him cause I know he's kinda got a taste for only the best.
    holy moly - just buy the dang thing! it's a steal! heck, I'LL buy it!!!

I think you better buy it before he tells someone else about it and it sells!

Boolit Master
    Its a done deal. Not only did he have all the goodies and ammo I mentioned before he also had a spare parts kit and a case with it. When I was test firing the rifle it did very well I almost shot the match with it today. Looks like I'll be ordering another arsenal mold to go with it and a set of rcbs dies.

Banned

awesome! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	180 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	219474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbsup.gif 
Views:	180 
Size:	139 Bytes 
ID:	219474

Boolit Master
    O did I make a GOOD decision that 75 is a honey now I'm trying do decide on a mold for her. I like the Arsenal #379499 a 284 gr gas check but I want a flat base bullet also Iv'e been looking at the Lee 249 gr flat base but I'm a little shy of Lee equipment. The ammo that came with the rifle was loaded with store bought cast bullets so there is some weight variation issues as well as the fact I think my buddy loaded the ammo with thrown charges rather than weighing each one but thats ok I can blow them off getting use to the rifle then lovingly hand craft my own ammo for it.When it comes to loading your own ammo who says ocd is a bad thing.

Banned

once you determine the bore and groove of the barrel, get a good mould that will cast alloy to a proper diameter, and make bullet of proper design. really good moulds are not cheap. i would avoid all lee moulds other than their ball moulds. accurate molds makes a good aluminum mould for under $80.
    Last edited by rfd; 05-05-2018 at 04:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    rfd we are on the same page. The 75's bore mikes out at .376" so I got a .377" sizer but couldn't decide on the mold the one I'm looking at from Arsenal #379499 is a 280gr gc 4 cavity copy of the lyman 375449 that will cost me 85.00 delivered. I'm also looking at the lyman #375248 which is a 249gr fb which will cost about 80.00 for a 2 cavity mold. I did my home work a little bit either bullet uses the same top punch. I'm leaning toward the Arsenal even though its a gas check and sent them an email to see if they will make a flat base version.

Banned

1hawkeye - bore is .376 then what's the groove? if you want to extract the most consistent "long range" accuracy, you want a 1 cavity mould, no more. why gas check? what is the prime purpose of yer '75?

Boolit Master
    There is a fellow who goes by the name of SShooter on the Black Powder Cartridge forum here. I believe that he has had good luck with a few of the Buffalo Arms money bullet molds in .38-55 C. Sharps rifles. Might be worth sending him a P.M. to get the details.

I have a C. Sharps highwall in .38-55 that I shoot breech seated paper patched bullets in. It works quite well.

Chris.

Banned

i mostly use BACO moulds, slick and grooved, they're excellent. steve brooks is real good, too. there are a number of top notch mould makers available to help you. lots depends on what kinda primary shooting will be done with that gun.

Aren't BACO molds made by Brooks?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    Aren't BACO molds made by Brooks?
    Naw, BACO stands for Buffalo Arms COmpany. Their molds are really nice, although I know of a few schuetzen shooters who don't like the big Saeco blocks that they use.

Chris.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    O did I make a GOOD decision that 75 is a honey now I'm trying do decide on a mold for her. I like the Arsenal #379499 a 284 gr gas check but I want a flat base bullet also Iv'e been looking at the Lee 249 gr flat base but I'm a little shy of Lee equipment. The ammo that came with the rifle was loaded with store bought cast bullets so there is some weight variation issues as well as the fact I think my buddy loaded the ammo with thrown charges rather than weighing each one but thats ok I can blow them off getting use to the rifle then lovingly hand craft my own ammo for it.When it comes to loading your own ammo who says ocd is a bad thing.
    I have a C-Sharps 75 in 38-55. I got it for hunting but have shot it in mid-range competition as well and it shoots the Lyman 335gr scaled down Postel very well. For hunting I use the Lee 250gr boolit but it is around .379 or .380 so is sized down quite a bit for the .375 groove on my rifle.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Banned

the one exception i have with cheap bullet moulds are the aluminum block moulds offered by tom @ www.accuratemolds.com, though he does also offer steel and brass moulds at higher costs. i have three of his custom alum slick bullet moulds and for about $80 shipped each they are truly excellent. i've used one of them (405 grains) to win local short distance matches (200yds). aluminum blocks may be easier for a newbie to casting as they come up to operating temps faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunlaker View Post
    Naw, BACO stands for Buffalo Arms COmpany. Their molds are really nice, although I know of a few schuetzen shooters who don't like the big Saeco blocks that they use.

Chris.
    I know what BACO stands for. But I thought Steve Brooks had been supplying their molds. Does BACO cut their own molds in house?

1Hawkeye,
    I'd slug that bore. Can't determine groove diameter by checking bore diameter. Don't overlook Lyman molds either. They are great quality at good prices. I have a lot of custom molds, and Ideal and Lyman molds. The Lyman cast as good as any and their designs date back 100 years on some bullet molds.
    The 375449 or 380681 are both good designs depending on what your groove ends up being.

Boolit Master
    Update, the bore is .376 with a grove of.368. I took it to the range yesterday and it about drove me crazy with the ammo that came with it. I couldn't hit the side of a barn from inside it was that bad. Out of 100 rounds I had about 30 on target at 100 yards and heard a couple of them buzzing as they went down range. Nothing is loose except for the front sight insert and I was using my normal sandbags. I'm really hoping it is a ammo problem. I pulled down one of the cartridges and the bullet was.3765 diameter but the powder charge was 26.4grs of ? and it's supposed to be 21.0 grs of imr 4198. WTH???

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast