Load DataWidenersRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Who still makes THIS 12 gauge 2.75-inch #1 buckshot?

Boolit Master

Who still makes THIS 12 gauge 2.75-inch #1 buckshot?

Moderator: This query doesn't seem to fit within any more specific subforum, so I put it here, the most general subforum. If you feel it should be in a different one, please move it to where it belongs.
    Guys, I've placed this query in several other gun forums, hoping for a worthwhile reply. So if you see it elsewhere, just smile a little and shake your head.

A decade ago, at least Winchester, Remington, and Federal manufactured a superb defense ammunition. Without getting into nuances of each version, the basic information is this.

12 gauge, 2.75-inch, 4-dram equivalent, #1 buckshot, 20 pellets.

I have searched with three Internet search engines, and Ammoseek. But I cannot identify any manufacturer of this load. And no search included powder charge level - that is, I do not care what is its power level. I care about 20 #1 buckshot pellets.

If you know of a source of 12 gauge 2.75-inch shot shells having a payload of 20 #1 buckshot pellets, please let me know.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Boolit Master

I will give this one more go......It's not the number of pellets in a hull, it's the number of pellets on target. I have loaded wild to mild buckshot loads by the score, comparing them to factory patterns. The comment I have about the 20 pellet load is that the more pellets the less energy per pellet. Here's the best I have been able to do and what is close to perfect, at least for my needs. Every detail is important for specific reasons.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hot-PERFECTION!
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The Winchester Supreme Double-X (X12C1B) is a 20 pellet 2 3/4 inch magnum shell with 20 #1B (.30 diameter) buckshot. This is a nearly 2 ounce payload (20 x 40 grains = 800 grain payload) of copper plated buckshot. Even with the reduced 1075 fps velocity it has stiff recoil. This load does not have a shot cup surrounding the buckshot charge.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    The Winchester Supreme Double-X (X12C1B) is a 20 pellet 2 3/4 inch magnum shell with 20 #1B (.30 diameter) buckshot. This is a nearly 2 ounce payload (20 x 40 grains = 800 grain payload) of copper plated buckshot. Even with the reduced 1075 fps velocity it has stiff recoil. This load does not have a shot cup surrounding the buckshot charge.
    You quoted me from a 2004 Shotgunworld post:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=20715

So to clarify:

No 20 pellet "#1B" 2.75" load is currently in production. Winchester still has a 2.75" 16 pellet and a 24 pellet 3" load in the SuperX line.

My 2004 post was, even then, in error on the pellet size and weight. Number 1B factory loads have long been loaded with sub .30" pellets, usually less than .290" in diameter, for about a 1.5 ounce total pellet payload.

The Winchester "short magnum" 20 pellet "#1B" load was discontinued at least a dozen or so years ago.
    Last edited by RMc; 04-25-2018 at 04:18 PM.

Boolit Master

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...SAAEgJmYPD_BwE

Only 16 pellets and buffered
    The old ammo was over one ounce and not buffered
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Bub
    It is why we're all here, so why not roll yer own! Unless you're in Canada like I am, in which case its almost impossible to get components.

Boolit Grand Master

If you load your own, realize #1 buck isn't exactly ideal. .310" (0-1/2) or 0 is a much better fit, but my choice is #2 buck. With #2 I get 5 to a layer with no shot cup, 4 to a layer with most lead shot cups, and 3 to a layer with most thicker steel shot cups. I never got good results with 3 to a layer for some reason. 4 to a layer in a 12S4 wad fits fantastic, yet doesn't pattern all that tight. My best load so far is a 20 pellet buffered load with fiber wads. Go figure. I get that in a 2 3/4" gold medal hull. That load will put 18-20 (out of 20) pellets in a 30" circle at 30 yards with a cylinder choke.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...SAAEgJmYPD_BwE

Only 16 pellets and buffered
    The old ammo was over one ounce and not buffered
    Mike

Winchester's 1963 introduction of the Mark V shot collar and granulated buffer to to the Super-X buckshot line effectively reduced the inside diameter of the hull. This in turn required a reduction in buckshot pellet diameter.

This was noted by Jack O'Connor in The Shotgun Book, (1970 printing, page 303).

00B was reduced from .330 to .323
    #1B was reduced from .298 to .289
    #4B was reduced from .240 to .233

Recently the size of current Federal brand 00B and #1B were noted at .323"/50 grains and .286"/33grains, respectively. See:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot56.htm

I had really great success loading #1 nickel plated buckshot in 2.75" loads. I have a vid that i need to edit. got really good patterns at 50 yards.