Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: 30 Caliber Jacket Lengths?

Banned

30 Caliber Jacket Lengths?

How long are the finished jackets for a premium die set? The tubing is cut to 1.25, 1.50, and 1.75, but I wanted to know the overall lengths of those jackets, and the bullets they are formed in to. If anyone knows, thanks.

Boolit Master

Not sure what you are seeking, but I make 175 Grain .308 bullets from 5/16" copper tubing. I cut the tubing to 1.30". I then round one end, and then form a base. The jacket is then run through a reducing die to get it at the .3065/.307 diameter range.

This results in a jacket that is 1.185 (+ or -). Then seat a core, and form a Rebated Boat Tail, followed by an 8s nose swage die.

I then have a 175grain Rebated Boat Tail bullet that has a length measurement of 1.285 (+ or -).

The jackets are formed in a set of dies from BT Sniper; and the bullets are made in a set of Corbin .308 RBT swage dies.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I believe the information you seek can be found on Dave Corbins website. He has a chart in one of his downloadable books.

Banned
    as a rule of thumb, i keep my jackets as short as possible. i allow just enough jacket to fully enclose the lead, and this keeps the bullet the shortest it can be. shorter bullets will stabilize in slower twist barrels and will stay stable longer as linear and rotational velocity drops with increasing range.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blltsmth View Post
    I believe the information you seek can be found on Dave Corbins website. He has a chart in one of his downloadable books.
    I sm using BT Snipers stuff.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mauser 98K View Post
    as a rule of thumb, i keep my jackets as short as possible. i allow just enough jacket to fully enclose the lead, and this keeps the bullet the shortest it can be. shorter bullets will stabilize in slower twist barrels and will stay stable longer as linear and rotational velocity drops with increasing range.
    golden nugget. Thanks. Ill never forget

Boolit Bub
    Score a win for me today! Made a die to expand 5.7 brass for jackets for my Blackmon press! I’m excited! Can’t complain for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got to ask, why would you make jackets from Tubing, when you have a wide variety of Jackets available in the USA? Tubing here is expensive, I can import Jackets cheaper.

Banned
    to avoid having to draw them id think.. with tube all one must do is close the bottom and then run through a sizer and make a bullet. with drawing jackets it takes around 5 drawing dies depending on the jacket you make and this can get expensive. im not sure what already made jackets here in the states go for Vs copper tube, but im sure making them from tube is probably cheaper. i make mine from sheet copper because i made my dies and i can make any jacket thickness i want. im also using salvaged copper flashing for construction/ roofing. i can get hundreds of jackets worth of material for around 1.50$-2.00$ a pound.

Boolit Master

I use 5/16 copper tubing for making bullets because it's cheaper. A 100 foot roll of copper tubing costs about $85.00 shipped to the house and will make about 1000 jackets - or a cost of $0.085 each. Buying factory made jackets runs about $355.00 for 1500; or about $0.223 each jacket (plus shipping charges). So I can make 3 copper tubing jackets for the price of a single factory made jacket. And besides; it's a hobby as I am twice retired.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Banned
    I just like being able to do things myself. Figured it would give me more options.