Snyders JerkyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mihec Mold Article In Handloader

Banned

Mihec Mold Article In Handloader

There's a giant article on Mihec molds in the June issue No. 314 Handloader. He mentioned that most his mold bullet designs are designed by Bobby Kell Jr a former member here.

Boolit Master
    They must have paid a bunch to get that in there, magazines are not really interested in giving good info, they are only interested in the money paid to get articles written.

Boolit Buddy
    MT Whats up with that post? You don't like MIHEC, you don't like the magazine or what?

Banned

John Haviland is a half way decent writer. Sounds like he was tired of using the slow 2-cavity moulds and wanted to give the MP moulds a try. Appears he liked them, I do too! That lubricating oil he mentioned, well it's main purpose was to wipe a little of it on the bottom of the sprue plate and top of the mould block, then wipe it off with a dry clean rag. This keeps lead smears, should they happen, from sticking. If you knew how he made those moulds you would agree he is one fantastic precision machinist.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    They must have paid a bunch to get that in there, magazines are not really interested in giving good info, they are only interested in the money paid to get articles written.
    This makes no sense

Boolit Master

Sometimes they actually find something fun to write about and do that. Sometimes they get a free item and write about it and all are happy. I don't care. Good for MIHEC hope he is as busy as a bee making a good living.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Sometimes they actually find something fun to write about and do that. Sometimes they get a free item and write about it and all are happy. I don't care. Good for MIHEC hope he is as busy as a bee making a good living.
    What he said!!
    Hope he stays busy .

Boolit Master
    Mihec does make among the best molds but I have a hate on for most mags., they promote the most expensive bullets for calibers that work best with cast, they show loads with all the newest powders, and pure copper bullets without mention of cast bullets. That's just one example of money calling the shots.

Banned

Mihec does make among the best molds but I have a hate on for most mags., they promote the most expensive bullets for calibers that work best with cast, they show loads with all the newest powders, and pure copper bullets without mention of cast bullets. That's just one example of money calling the shots.
    Well none of that has to do with MP molds, but I can understand your hate for gun magazines. One can't say MP molds are the most expensive either, they are reasonably priced.

Boolit Master
    Handloader isn't most magazines. It’s the only gun magazine I subscribe to.

Regarding the loads with newest powders: we already have plenty of loads with the old powders. It’s the newest ones we need info on.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Handloader is a great magazine. Brian Pearce’s articles and data are second to none.

Boolit Master
    What do you expect? Those bullet manufacturers are trying to compete with us. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I haven’t seen the article, but it’s easy enough to check. Proceed past the two to four splash pages that start it off to those where it dwindles down to a single column for text and pictures. Look among the ads adjacent to these columns and especially at the page opposite the section of column that finishes the article. If there is a sizable advertisement for Mihec Moulds, there is obviously a quid-pro-quo symbiotic relationship. If not, the author is simply writing about something he found by himself. I think in neither case would the article itself be dictated by the advertiser to the writer and paid for that way.

I miss the good old days of amateur writing in Rifle and Handloader. But, as longtime editor the late, great Ken Howell pointed out many times, the magazines were supported for many years as a loss-leader by RCBS, Speer, Sierra and other loading tool and component companies. They paid their professional staff peanuts and lost money even so, in the good cause of popularizing handloading and precision rifle shooting to a mass audience.

Now the Angels are long gone and they have to compete on the newsstands with every other gun magazine and show a profit at the end. That means the latest and greatest, the newest and woo-hooest, and only an occasional bone on the historical, mechanical or classical theme thrown to old fuds like me. But it must have worked, and is still working. Lots more people reload and shoot exotic rifles than they used to, and the magazines are still going. They have all my sympathy, even though I only buy a very occasional issue off the newsstand any more.

Boolit Master

I have every Issue of Handloader and yes it's changed over the years but so have we. I hear old guys complain all the time about Handloader, I just don't see any of them starting a magazine. So its the best thing we have now and the article was a good way to let people know about the molds. They have bills to pay too and Handloader's are cheap by nature

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyd View Post
    I have every Issue of Handloader and yes it's changed over the years but so have we. I hear old guys complain all the time about Handloader, I just don't see any of them starting a magazine. So its the best thing we have now and the article was a good way to let people know about the molds. They have bills to pay too and Handloader's are cheap by nature
    Respectfully I would disagree with the magazine being the best we have. Provided you can filter some of the opinions on this site I think we have a much more robust knowledge base on CastBoolits and it isn’t filtered by lamestream media. We just have to make sure we keep perpetuating it and sharing what we learn.

I first learned about MP Molds on YouTube which led me to this site and have learned so much here I don’t see any reason to look elsewhere for info. Consider this post a big thanks to all of you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by StuBach View Post
    Respectfully I would disagree with the magazine being the best we have. Provided you can filter some of the opinions on this site I think we have a much more robust knowledge base on CastBoolits and it isn’t filtered by lamestream media. We just have to make sure we keep perpetuating it and sharing what we learn.

I first learned about MP Molds on YouTube which led me to this site and have learned so much here I don’t see any reason to look elsewhere for info. Consider this post a big thanks to all of you.
    I respectably disagree with you too! This forum has perpetrated some of the biggest myths around just as a whole bunch of other gun forums have done. It's just one's opinion of this forum is the best around. With all forum, on any subject, I them as believe nothing that you hear, nothing that you read, and only half of what you see! Gun magazine only got knocked when the internet and forums come into existence.

Super Moderator

.............I don't know what the numbers are, but I would not be surprised at all if only say, 30% of shooters reload? Possibly more accurately would be 50% of ACTIVE shooters are reloaders? Maybe more, but not from what I see people banging away at the range. Not bad mouthing them as the more shooters we have the better off we all are. So whatever the percentage of shooters are reloaders, a much smaller proportion of those reloaders are casters.

In addition to those reloaders NOT casting, I have a buddy who likes to shoot cast lead, but he BUYS all his cast from commercial sources. Says he doesn't have time to cast. I suppose for him that may be true because casting would cut into his TV time and social media presence So anytime I see a reference to shooting cast lead, and ESPECIALLY the HOME CASTING of lead surely gladdens my heart.

I have a subscription to both 'Handloader' and 'Rifle' magazine. Not what they used to be, but much more then the vast majority of the others. In fact Wolfe publishing was honest enough to admit years ago that to be competitive with the other news stand rags they HAD to "Dumb it Down". Sign of the times I suppose?

Not like it was when I was growing up. How many folks still change their own oil anymore? Admittedly there isn't a whole lot you can do mechanically on cars these days, but it appears to me that folks are drifting away from "Doing & Creating" with their hands. They have people mow their lawns, go to a drive through car wash, and etc & etc. My son in law is a Deputy Sheriff. Great dad & husband. However he couldn't nail a couple 2x4's together without bending the nail over 3-4 times before he got it done

On the other hand if I needed instruction on setting up a computer game, or needed to know how to do something on my cell phone (wife bought it for me, but it pretty much stays on the kitchen counter) he'd be the one to ask. I guess it just boils down to the fact that a whole lotta folks are just not into doing/building/creating stuff with their hands anymore?

...........Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    I feel your pain Buckshot, I see it all the time in many venues, it truly is a sign of the times and technology, not a lot can be done to stop the march of new ideas and the modern way of thinking. All one can do is keep on doing to preserve the old skills, teach the children and grand children some of the old trade craft when the opportunity arises, and do your part is all we can do.

Handloader is a great magazine most of the time!! Occasionally an article rubs us the wrong way ( powder coating article a few issues back is a good example ) which IF the subject had been researched here would have been more accurate !! On the article about MP Molds I thought the writer gave Mihec a fair evaluation - I purchased my first MP mold this year and it is a work of art & comes with its own goody bag - top punch, hex wrenches & multiple pins ! Also if you look on the left margin of the article there's a 15% discount code !!! Now that's supporting each other in a good way!!
    Before you break into my house stand outside and get right with Jesus tell him you're on your way!!

Boolit Grand Master

Mihec Mold Article In Handloader

Quote Originally Posted by Buckshot View Post
    .............I don't know what the numbers are, but I would not be surprised at all if only say, 30% of shooters reload? Possibly more accurately would be 50% of ACTIVE shooters are reloaders?
    The percentage is in the single digits. The vast, and I mean vast, majority of shooters don’t reload. What you have is a bunch of people that try it out and quit quickly. So they aren’t reloaders. The percentage of reloaders that cast is an even smaller percentage of those reloaders. Again single digits and I’d say it’s one percent at best. I’m saying this because of the number of gun clubs I belong to. This a cross section of close to ten thousand shooters. Reloading and especially casting are niche aspects of the shooting sports.

Handloader is an okay magazine. But the writing is very subpar. I’m comparing it to the automotive magazines that I read. They’ve changed as much as the shooting magazines but they still have a lot of professional journalists that know how to write an article. This isn’t the case w/ Handloader. I will pick up this issue to read the article. I do buy it from time to time when there is something interesting in it.

What was the member’s forum name who designs the molds for him? I have a feeling I know who it is but wanted confirmation from someone that knows for a fact. And I really wish Mina provided dimensional drawings for his designs. I haven’t bought quite a few because of this. The dimensions make it a lot easier for people to determine if it will work for their applications.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast