Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: A new to me 45 case

Boolit Grand Master

A new to me 45 case

I picked up some brass today and included in the batch were 2 cases that at first looked old and black. On closer inspection they are new blackened brass cases. These are 45 ACP cases and appear to have the Browning Buckmark Logo on the headstamp. Has anyone seen any of these?
    Last edited by lightman; 04-24-2018 at 10:38 PM.

Saw them in an ad about a year ago. yes, they look cool. I don't know more than that, probably the brass has been treated to look black. Good keepsake.
    VOTE, VOTE, VOTE often. In dealing with potential dishonesty or corruption, Something you might keep in mind is a revealing quote by S.W. Erdnase in his book The Expert at the Card Table "Almost every ruse in the game is more or less dependent upon another one."
    Politicians are like babies diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. Mark Twain

Boolit Bub
    My brother shoots 45 acp and got some a while back. Browning BPT. I have a handful of them, never tried to reload them as I wasn't sure what the coating actually was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    At first I thought this thread was going to be about something I saw recently for the first time - brass plated steel cases. This concept is new to me (and probably old to other people here) and I wondered how long this processing or has been going on. An indoor range in my area excludes steel and aluminum cased ammo from their range, as they sell the brass cases for reloading. They use large magnets to locate and remove steel cases from their floor sweepings, then try to locate aluminum cases by sight (they know certain customers do not honor their requirements on case materials). Think I'll let them know about the brass plated steel sometime soon. They probably would appreciate the info.

Boolit Grand Master

When I first saw these laying on the ground I thought they were older cases that were weathered. I pick those up too but they go straight to the recycle bucket. These are just blue looking and are not magnetic and weigh too much to be aluminum. I live in a small town and it takes a little time for new stuff to trickle down us, so stuff can be on the market a while before I see it.

Boolit Buddy

We sold them in the gun store I used to work in. Browning was making their own ammo line. We also had some in .30-06 but I do not know anyone that shot them before so I could see how they did.

My reading says the brass is manufactured by Winchester.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    These are just blue looking and are not magnetic and weigh too much to be aluminum.
    I just ran into a bunch of those blue looking cases as well, in 223 Rem, headstamped "WIN", and 40 S&W, headstamped "WMA". I originally dumped them in the trash but then sectioned a few and they are brass cases under what I now take to be some silver colored plating. The plating may be some manner of satin nickel or possibly zinc but with tones of a second coating of something blue, similar to "blue pill" proof loads. Since the base metal is brass they are now in the scrap brass bucket since the salvage place accepts nickel cases as brass.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Master
    In the past Hornady loaded some kind of tactical .308 win. ammo in "black nickel" cases, I believe it was called. I suppose when they're ejected from a weapon they don't glint in the sun like shiny brass or nickel would?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by higgins View Post
    In the past Hornady loaded some kind of tactical .308 win. ammo in "black nickel" cases, I believe it was called. I suppose when they're ejected from a weapon they don't glint in the sun like shiny brass or nickel would?
    Yes, low visibility from start to finish.

Boolit Grand Master

Sounds like a solution to a none existent problem.
    Information not shared. is wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Sounds like a solution to a none existent problem.
    It is the Marketing Department's job to create a solution to problems that are not real. Probably half of more of the gun stuff out there falls into this category. "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.