WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Browning Hi-Power is discontinued

Moderator Emeritus

Browning Hi-Power is discontinued

Saw in one of the NRA publications that the Hi-Power is discontinued....no reason but I suspect cost.

I have had mine since 1975 and I would not trade for it.....It is a Belgium model with XS Big Dot sitting on top. If my memory serves me right it was $150.00 and I had to place it on lay-away....mrs buckwheatpaul bailed it out and gave it to me on Christmas 1975!

If you ever wanted one then ya better get a jump on it....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

It sucks to see it go, but for what they cost vs. other offerings I can see sales slumping on them. Never could afford an original but I bought a Hungarian clone back in the ‘90’s, did a lot of work to it, but just never “fell in love” with it, probably would still have an original if I’d bought one.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Bub
    Bought mine in 1967. $105.50 + Tax.

Got mine...
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master
    i got a fully dressed one with high polish blue and adjustable sights, and a few belgian mil surp comebacks.
    I love the HiPowers.

Boolit Master

Had one for years! My fave auto pistol, followed very closely by my Kimber .45.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I believe the BHP is the most beautiful handgun of all time. I literally saved pocket change for two years to buy mine NIB. Gloss blue, target sights, wood grips made in November 2016 so probably form the last run they made. My understanding is that Browning was only selling like 2-3000 a year in the USA, no military orders were coming in, and a major re-tooling was going to be necessary to continue production so FN decided to pull the plug.

The biggest problem I see with selling the BHP in the USA, at least as far as current tastes go, is the price and lack of options. Most people who are going to spend a grand on a handgun are looking for a 1911 or magnum revolver. Everybody respects the Grand Puissance but there just aren't that many people out there willing to spend that kind of change on one, especially when nice used examples can be purchased for much less. The GP-35 was way ahead of it's time in 1935 but it is now seen as heavy and bulky for a 9mm, and no larger calibers are available.

I could see the design making a comeback if done right. Get the real world price under $600.00, which will probably require USA production. Offer an aluminum frame for less weight, and maybe even a Glock 19 size compact version. I don't think it would be impossible for the BHP to enjoy a renaissance, after all look at the unquenchable market for the much older 1911 design. It's just a matter of giving it the features that people want.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

browning has been discontinuing the hi power every year for at least the past 10. when i dont see any more new ones, ill believe it. i have enough to last me a few lifetimes, so not concerned.

Boolit Master

I suspect that the cheap-to-make "cool" plastic and aluminum handguns will eventually wear out, and the enduring heavy metal that was old when the injection molded and beer can wonders were new will become cool again.

I've always loved the feel of the Highpower; not so much it's hammer bite (ditched the ring hammer for a spur on my Hungarian), and have always felt Saive (or someone) was smoking crack when they designed the frame-to-slide-to-frame-to-slide pivot bar fire control system, but yeah. . .a pretty sexy beast in spite of that.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

A serious question...... what's to retool?Isn't it just a matter of programming?

Referencing post #7

Boolit Master
    Bought mine new @ 1976, along with a 6" Royal Blue Python. IIRC, there wasn't much of a price difference between the two. Around $360, each. Still have them both but don't shoot either, that often, anymore. All center-fire semi auto purchases, after the HP....... were DAO.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I had wanted a solid Hi Power for many years before finding a "T" prefix serial number model about 3 years ago. This pistol is everything it was supposed to be from the start and will stay here until it enters an estate sale.

Boolit Buddy
    The BHP is my all time favorite auto loading handgun. I owned 3 at one point but currently I am down to 1. I would love a custom Nighthawk BHP but very expensive.

Boolit Master

Picked mine up after an attack in Vietnam. The previous owner did not mind.

gmsharps

First handgun I bought after getting a decent job in 1989. Bought a second one with fixed sights and black finish later. Still got them both.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Got one with the hard chrome finish about 20 years ago. It came with somewhat bulky adjustable target sights but I ditched those in favor of fixed Heine sights.

Boolit Master
    Have always wanted to try one out, but don't even have a friend w/ one. (Not living in a cave, just hang out w/ more of a revolver crowd. )

Banned
    Sad to hear the Hi-Power will be discontinued but that's life in the real world.

I've had several over the years, lost the best one in the divorce. It was a very early post-war commercial model and it was beautiful.

There are a lot of Hi-powers' floating around out there. I suspect there will be some attempts to exploit the perceived "rarity" of Hi-powers when they disappear from the selves of new pistols. The market will stabilize and buyers will realize that they aren't all that rare even after production stops.

Boolit Man
    Bought mine new in '77, just as soon as I turned 21. It's still a sexy beast. My waist size has grown a few inches since then, but my hand must have remained the exact size it was back then, she still nestles into it in the same way she did back on that first day.

Hold a High Power, hold a Glock. Weep.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast