Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hello Everyone new to reloading and casting

So on top of everything else to learn, I also will be schooled in the verbiage of the hobby. Well, this escalated quickly... haha... no really thanks for the info guys with the posts and comments from all of you. I am definitely taking a step back as I see there is a wealth of information out there that will take some time. It is nice to know there is help with this so thank you all.

Boolit Master

Another sugestion.

As someone mentioned, it might be good to just start loading with commercial projectiles first. IE.. grab some jacketed bullets, get safe loading habits and procedures down.

Next, buy some commercially made cast lead bullets, then get familiar loading those.

lastly, start casting your own boolits and then loading them.

Boolit Master
    I agree with starting with a bigger boolit .I started with .357 mag then 308/3030 and 45-70 .still trying to get .223 to work like I want .the others were much less trouble .

Banned
    Remember these are suggestions, not rules. It is just common sense that for beginners bigger things tend to be easier to deal with. But you may want to go with the smaller for some reason. I reload 22lr. The only caliber I load is 22lr. If I had listened to all of the people who told me "I couldn't do it" I wouldn't have been able to do it. You won't run into that much nay-sayer stuff here. Most of the advise here is positive and we appreciate each others input. Especially since there are so many real experts who post here. I quit a different forum because I went against the consensus of opinion and had to suffer a gaggle of folks who continuously scolded me for not taking their advise to quit with the 22lr. But here I am, now one of the most knowledgeable people on reloading 22lr. People here will generally give advise that will help make your hobby more successful.
    As far as the verbage, that can get a little wild. Sometimes you have to scratch your head for a while. It took me a while to figure out why the word J-word was used for jacketed bullets. I finally came up with the idea that it is like saying an unmentionable word, a word that is unacceptable and shocking so it is referred to as _word, Like the "F" word. Since this forum is dedicated to casting your own bullets, commercial jacketed bullets (in jest) are a dirty word. Hence the "J-word", word is born. Some folks seem to be making up more humorous words for things as they think of them. Some stick and begin to be used, some don't. This is what you find when you look up "boolit" on google...
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boolit
    Personally, I think it is hilarious. ..."and don't call me Shirley"
    Last edited by Traffer; 04-26-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the road of utter frustration, and pure bliss when you get it to work (this is a positive statement guys !).
    The "Ingot to Bullet" is a long read, go slow, take notes (I printed it and high-lighted, AND took notes).

Ask us anything ! There are NO stupid questions (uninformed, yes; stupid, no - one of us in the past asked the same thing starting out.

There is literally centuries of experience on this forum (actually many, many centuries ), use us. Most of us have quite the gift of gab.

You will run into conflicting ideas (don't ask how I know this lol). Go with your best judgment, I tend to go with folks with a high post count. After being here a while you'll get a feel for who has been at this a long time.

As has been repeated, read; books, here; just wander around the folders -gems of knowledge are everywhere. You can get a nugget of powder coating in the handgun folder, find out all about the trials and tribulations of setting up a 50 Beowulf AR in the Our Town folder (not to mention a pic of my 2 week old puppy ! lol)

Enjoy the ride grasshopper !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Thanks Gunslinger1911, Ive been curious as to fact vs. opinion. So far I havent asked any controversial questions yet but i am sure it will come in time. I do sense the passion in most of the guys posting comments which is encouraging coming from a guy in a profession built on passion and tradition. No doubt you all have showed encouragment and I do appreciate that.

Boolit Master

There are some hard facts that you will learn, need, and use, and the vast majority of it concerns variables and opinion.

Lots of reloaders here, lots of opinions..for instance, many of us make our own boolit lube. And if there are 20 of us here, there are probably 21 different lubes, and they probably all work.

They alloy info is easy to find, and some have special mixes they like, like range scrap sweetened with tin, or sime form of clip or stick on wheel weight and range scrap, or Lyman mixes, etc. After you have done it a while, you too will have your own procedures and alloys you like.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123