Thread: Experimenting with a Peepsight for my 39a

Boolit Master

Experimenting with a Peepsight for my 39a

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73F7491B-E015-46EA-92B5-6693D761F464.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	219199

I have been wanting to see if a peep sight would help me with my 39a. I drilled out a primer pocket to .096 and tried holding it up while I was looking down the rifle to see what it looked like but it was just too hard to do. Then I got a brainstorm and drilled out a steel case and attached it with small neonyndium magnets and I can look through it all I want at my leisure .

It really does make it easier to see the front sight. My eyes are all screwed up, and normally the buckhorn as well as the front sight are blurry. Looking through that peep hole, the front sight and target are crystal clear.

Also, I was surprised that the front sight doesn’t have to be exactly in the center of the peep. I observed that when I had the front sight exactly in the center, and then moved my head slightly over, the front sight remained exactly where I wanted it even though it wasn’t in the center.

Funny thing is that those magnets are holding it at what looks to be just about the right height… I may just take it to the range that way and try to shoot a group

Randy
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master

I've had a WILLIAMS Fool Proof on my 39D for at least 40yrs. Regardless of my Eyeglass RX at the time I can still shoot better with that rifle than any conventionally iron sighted rifle. If you get a peep sight you will have to get a higher front sight, or maybe not. My bbl is 20", a 39A is 24".
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post

I was surprised that the front sight doesn’t have to be exactly in the center of the peep.

I observed that when I had the front sight exactly in the center, and then moved my head slightly over, the front sight remained exactly where I wanted it even though it wasn’t in the center.

FWIW, the best practice for the proper use of a peepsight indicates that the aperture (no matter what the size) should be looked THROUGH, and not "at' - and there should be no attempt to center the front sight in the aperture.

In shooting with one, the shooter should look through the aperture, focusing on the front sight, then place the front sight "on target".

It's OK if the target isn't in focus.

It's best if the peepsight is easily W/E adjustable for zeroing.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    One thing that I did notice was that when the flash whole side of the brass was facing me, and there was bright light hitting it, it made it almost impossible to look through. I really couldn’t see the front sight or even the whole to look through. I’m hoping that normal peep sights don’t react like that in those conditions.

By the way pietro, thanks for your service to our country.
    Plata o plomo?
    Plomo, por favor!

Boolit Master
    Spray the case with flat black paint and that will cut down the glare-- I had to do the same thing

Hick
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    I love my 39a with Williams peep. Just wish it had target knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fiberoptik View Post
    I love my 39a with Williams peep. Just wish it had target knobs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You would think the target knobs are great until you carry it a while. They sure get in the way.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    My eye sight sucks too. So much so that I've had to mount scopes on my powder burners and all my air rifles now have peep sights. I've come to the point where I just make my own peep sights now.

Great idea with that cartridge casing and those magnets. The first Globe-Front-Sight I ever made was made with the use of a conduit coupling to hold onto the muzzle end of my barrel and a short piece of copper pipe riveted onto that. Necessity is the mother of invention.

HollowPoint

Quote Originally Posted by ghh3rd View Post

One thing that I did notice was that when the flash whole side of the brass was facing me, and there was bright light hitting it, it made it almost impossible to look through.

I’m hoping that normal peep sights don’t react like that in those conditions.

By the way pietro, thanks for your service to our country.

You're certainly welcome, pard !

And, no - peep sights are usually blued in/out, and non-reflective.

That includes all different aperture sizes, large & small, up to & including the "ghost ring" created via removing the aperture from the holder and shooting through the "ghost ring".

Boolit Master
    I found this peep sight years ago at a big gun show for $15. I never saw another like it. It does make shooting my 39A a lot easier. I wish Lyman still made it.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Grand Master
    Both Lyman and Redfield made receiver sights specifically for the Model 39 Marlin. In fact, your Marlin probably has a couple of small drilled and tapped holes on the left side that were done at the factory just for the purpose of mounting those very sights. They are built exactly like the ones for the target bolt actions of the day and are fully as accurate to use.

If you really want a treat, there are also Lyman and Marble's tang sights that were made for the Model 39. They don't have the precision of adjustment of the receiver sights, but they are a joy to shoot with.

The Model 39 in one form or another has been around for a very long time and a very large number of them have been made. You can be sure that a lot of thought has gone into sighting arrangements for them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I installed a skinner peep sight on my 39a, front sight height was fine.

Gopher you stole that sight for 15$. I've seen those go on eBay for STUPID MONEY. As in 250$+ bucks for that one. I think it's a # 56 but can't clearly remember, they are great sights and you are not alone wishing Lyman still made them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by firebyprolong View Post
    Gopher you stole that sight for 15$. I've seen those go on eBay for STUPID MONEY. As in 250$+ bucks for that one. I think it's a # 56 but can't clearly remember, they are great sights and you are not alone wishing Lyman still made them.
    I better take my Lyman off of my 39A, sell it, and buy me more molds. IIRC - I paid $25.00 for it new.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

FWIW - This is the EASY button for receiver peepsights:

It is the Skinner LoPro peepsight.

www.skinnersights.com

It is available in several mounting stud thread sizes, at no extra charge (6-48 is standard, others on request) - and can occupy any D/T'd hole atop a rifle receiver (not all rifles are so D/T'd).

Since the rifle's scope-mounting holes are usually located directly above the bore's centerline, any windage adjustment needed will be very small (if at all needed), which is easily handled via moving the front sight blade L/R (usually 1/16" or less is needed).

Andy, the owner of Skinner Sights, is good people, and will talk you through any questions you may have.

Super Moderator

.............Here is a very simple sight that was made and offered for sale maybe 25 years ago. It's quite simple but a bit more then someone with only hand tools might want to tackle. Simply offered as an example, and called a "Christy".

LEFT: Side view. I added the piece of ruler as a simple scale reference. RIGHT: Top view.

LEFT: Rear view. RIGHT: All the pieces.

(LEFT) Body dimensions (subject to individual need). (RIGHT) Peep sight carrier. Dimensions shown for original unit.

Windage and elevating arm.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    Thanks Buckshot, I will use those drawings with out shame now! I needed a few of these and the application is not standard but with this I can make it look factory.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I just wish Lyman made their sights from steel again even at 3 times the cost.

Thanks buckshot. I also shamelessly am going to steal those plans and build one. I'm in the process of building a copy of a redfeild 102 for 94 right now. I'm of the option that a guy can't have too many receiver sights.

Boolit Buddy
    I just finished putting a Lyman peep sight on my Model 39. My Lyman peep was made for a Marlin 336. It required making an adapter plate 107th. thick to set the peep up with the centerline of the 39 receiver. It also needed longer screws of course but it allowed me to use a sight I had on hand instead of buying another one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast