Thread: tristar o/u 410

Boolit Master

tristar o/u 410

looking for info from someone that owns 1
    good points ??
    problems??
    warranty?

Boolit Master
    Tri-Star is an importer of predominantly Turkish made firearms. In the past, that has usually been followed by some disparaging remark. Turkey is in the firearms world today where Spain was in the 70s and 80s. The Turks make a wide range of firearms to a wide range of price points. They have low cost steel and low cost labor, so they can make good firearms to a lower price point than in other countries.

Tri-Star are widely regarded to have improved customer service, but it has been the subject of intense critique in the past, so bear that in mind.

The O/U shotguns Tri-Star imports are made by Khan in Turkey. Khan, like Huglu, is more of a cooperative than a single company per se, and while they use modern technology such as CAD and CNC, it is a little bit like Eibar was in Spain decades ago or the Brescia area in Italy with many small operations feeding into a guild/assembly company.

The Turks build to a price point. AKUS, another Turkish manufacturer, of a more modern integrated construct, made both the S&W Elite Gold BLE and the Kimber Valier 7 pin H&H Sidelock SxS guns. I have an AKUS made 12 ga and 20 ga and they are at least as nice as comparable grade Ugartecheas and AyA. Buuuuuuut, if you build to a low price point, you have to get there somehow. And it usually means, minimal materials and labor costs.

So, assuming your TriStar 410 o/u retails for about $525, one has to subtract: Retailer and Importer/Distributor margin, Pittman-Robertson Excise taxes, Import Duties, Transport Costs, and Manufacturer Margin. If we assume that to be say $200 in total, that means an over under shot gun that was made for about $325. To get to that price point required minimal finishing and labor costs.

So, if we assume that TriStar has in fact improved their customer service, you are getting a cosmetically attractive, frame scaled to caliber gun for a very good price. Provided you recognize that it's not a high volume gun (and unless you are reloading 410, it most certainly won't be a high volume gun!) and use it accordingly, it's probably good value for money. But you can't buy it, shoot the snot out of it, and then complain that the selector broke, that it doubles, or be amazed that it's tighter than a Scots wallet out of the box, or that it shoots looser than a drunk's tongue after a few thousand rounds....

So far, I have no complaints with the Turkish made O/U's. Fit and finish is good, Quality seems to be good. You can always get a lemon but the reviews are saying diamonds..

JMHO

My cousin and my boss both use Yildiz o/u 12 ga. They both use them hard for dove and ducks. I've not heard a complaint.
    I have a cute Yildiz .410 folder and can't find fault with it at all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have a CZ Redhead Deluxe in 12 gauge. One of the first gens. My parents bought it for me when I got serious in trap shooting while in college. It prolly has 40-50k rounds through it. Not one single issue. It was made by Huglu for CZ USA. I would not trade it, it will be handed down like my Grandpas Rem 1100's were handed down to me and his Win 1892 was handed down to him. Thats how we keep this thing we call a hobby alive!

Quote Originally Posted by sigep1764 View Post
    I have a CZ Redhead Deluxe in 12 gauge. One of the first gens. My parents bought it for me when I got serious in trap shooting while in college. It prolly has 40-50k rounds through it. Not one single issue. It was made by Huglu for CZ USA. I would not trade it, it will be handed down like my Grandpas Rem 1100's were handed down to me and his Win 1892 was handed down to him. Thats how we keep this thing we call a hobby alive!
    Kinda envious of those that had someone buy them a gun. Have never had that pleasure and am past that point that it will ever happen. Glad your parents could do that for you..

Boolit Master
    I was lucky that I had parents who encouraged my firearms hobby. To me, a lot of the negativity of firearms started when I was getting into it in the early 2000's. Ive always had an interest in mechanical things and Mom and Dad saw firearms as an extension of this.

Good on your Parents. Thank them often.

Boolit Master

A friend owned a Tristar .410 o/u and was happy with it. He shot skeet with it for a couple years, around 3-4K rds and had no problems with it. A local gun shop got a used Browning Citori in and he traded the Tristar in on it. He was concerned that the Tristar wouldn't hold up to his heavy usage over time.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    410 skeet shooting is what iam planing for it should be here thurs or fri 5-3 or 4
    lotta gun for the money

Boolit Master
    TriStar distributes an O/U made specifically for Walmart. I think that a different manufacturer in Turkey makes this version, whereas the higher grade guns are made by another Turkey firm. This information comes from a thread from a shotgun forum.

Boolit Master
    Well, got any pics?

Boolit Master
    yes walmart sells tristars saw a 12 gauge there looked really nice and only $350 .normally $450
    Said they could order most anything for me great!
    looked up models available 12 ,20 ,28 but no 410 so did gun broker for it

so i got it looks really nice already made two changes to it Super tight lockup which is nice to a point but!!
    the extractors were so tight wouldnt close with shells in . Would bend the shell rim if forced
    So ground it down for smoooth operating problem corrected
    Installed 2 of the 5 chokes it came with (skeet & improved)
    patterned way tight more like modified or tighter
    opened both chokes up from .402 to .412 and shot the pattern i wanted 27-30" at 20yds
    doing well on the skeet field with it and totally happy with the results
    Even getting praise from kreigoff owners on it and there not easily impressed

Boolit Master
    PICS!! We want to see if you won the wood lottery! Did you go blued or stainless?

Boolit Master
    they all seem to have nice wood not custom but some figure to it (turkish walnut ) high gloss there only blued
    will see if the pics show it and post it

About 15 years ago, I bought a Tri-Star SXS 12 ga coach gun. The wood is gorgeous and the fit and finish of the metal is outstanding. It is in every way and excellent shotgun.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned

Ive got one too. It doesn't compare to my grade II browning side by side but I could probably buy 5 of them for what the browning would cost me today. Even at 500 bucks there a pretty darned good value. Now would you be better off buying a pump rem or Mossberg for the same money. probably but I just like side by sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    About 15 years ago, I bought a Tri-Star SXS 12 ga coach gun. The wood is gorgeous and the fit and finish of the metal is outstanding. It is in every way and excellent shotgun.

Boolit Master
    When I started trap shooting in college, I used my inherited Rem 1100 skeet that I had threaded for chokes by Carlson's in Kansas. It worked fine, but the balance of the over/under helped in swinging and felt recoil. Besides, the over/unders are just sexy.