Load DataWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 38-40 Cramer

I'm A Honcho!

38-40 Cramer

MiHec 38-40 Carbine 2 or 4 Cavity Brass Cramer Plain Base mold in Hollow Point (HP) or Hollow Base (HB)
    This is a new boolit design. This will be suitable for the 38-40, 40 S&W, 10mm caliber or the 401 Herter PowerMag handguns or rifles. It will cast at about 0.401" dependent on your alloy. The weight is as shown on the drawing dependent on your alloy of choice. Meplat to crimp = 0.285".

Some information is due on the hollow base choice. Some of you have old 38-40 handguns or rifles. In these you usually find you can't load over a 0.403" bullet and get it to chamber. Some of the groove diameters in those old guns go up to 0.413" and are very hard to get accuracy from...... this hollow base solves that as I have hollow based some in my lathe and tried them in those old fellows.... works great producing fine accuracy.

We will need fifteen to commit to this. We will run this until we get the number we need or more, then it is up to MiHec to decide when to make it........ it can be a long time.... be warned and no whining.

Pins included are: For the Hollow Point Mold are 1) Large HP pin, 2) Small HP pin which could be a penta, 3) Cup HP pin, 4) Blank pin for a flat nose or in the case you don't want HP pins sticking out the mold. For the Hollow Base Mold are 1) Large Hollow Base pin, 2) Small Hollow Base pin, 3) Blank pin

Note: You CANNOT mix HP and HB in one mold. You CANNOT have HP and HB in each cavity either, it doesn't work at all that way........ just noted because I know someone will ask.

Prices are what MiHec says they'll be. I'll have to check that out.

Sequence of events: Participants order molds and are placed on the list, the Group Buy will close (which will be posted on the thread) at some time determined by MiHec, the molds are made from the orders on the list at the time it is closed or by altering what you want via PM to MiHec after it's closed. Extra molds should be available... order them by PM to MiHec or contacting MP Molds directly . Invoices will be sent out via e-mail from the listed e-mail addresses and you pay by using Paypal...... It is my understanding the invoice will be in Euros which Paypal converts from Euros to dollars dependent on the time that occurs. After you pay, the mold gets shipped.

Prices are somewhat variable due to the exchange rate.... be aware of this.

Please list: your Forum name, your e-mail address in suitable disguised form (such as shooter AT gmail DOT com), the number of 2 or 4 cavity molds you want, state hollow base (HB) or hollow point (HP) you want.

Now, if we're nice boys and girls, MiHec might orbit this design out to 44-40 in this GB (if enough people want it). That diameter to be determined. The bullet would be the same length, but be larger in diameter.

Misprint on weight for the Large HP, it's 169 gr............................

There are certainly quite a few Buckeyes on here and everyone who has the odd Colt or Herters PowerMag or even one of the many 40 caliber wildcats this bullet will solve quite a few issues that sometimes accompany the 40 caliber sixgun. Even more, the 40 caliber rifles often require a cast bullet to "slug up" for best fit and this bullet is designed to do just that.

Edit: Upgrading from the below to, "I'm in"

With interest watching!
    Nick
    Last edited by ANick57; 06-13-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have been looking for one like this for quite a long time with 4 old rifles in 38-40. I use real soft alloy with black powder for a couple of these rifles ..... 401 might be a little on the small size so I'm hoping it will cast a bit larger but it will work either way. Heck, I might even have to shoot a few in my 40 S&W's.

Please put me down for a two cavity with the hollow points. WARD O and my email is ward dot olson aT yahOO dot com.

2 Dogs - Thank you for your efforts here.
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

I'm in for two 4 cav brass molds. One in HP and one HB but would also prefer .402