Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's a better cast bullet cartridge: 375 H&H or 416 Rigby?

Boolit Master

what's a better cast bullet cartridge: 375 H&H or 416 Rigby?

For reasons I don't want to get into, I'm considering trying to build a bolt action rifle that can do anything any centerfire rifle can do. I'm strongly considering 375H&H or 416 Rigby, and thinking about what I have to do to make such a rifle friendly for medium size game, as well as for cheap target shooting at 100 and 200 yards at the range. shooting slow cast bullets seems ideal for this. I have tons of IMR4198 and the internet confirms people are using this powder for both 375 and 416.

I'm thinking the 416 will be a better cartridge for this purpose, seems I've always had better luck making cast shoot well as the diameter goes up, but I wanted to ping the collective.

For an oversized rifle for deer and pigs, loaded down for the occasion, what do you think would make the better cast bullet shooter?

Just me; I would stick with the .416 caliber but in the Taylor version. Not so huge as the Rigby, shorter than the .375. Big enough for elephant and small enough for cast. My .02 only.
    Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I voted for .375 H&H. I have several moulds suitable for the .416 bores, and a friend who shoots the Rigby and the Remington versions - but I have a lot more moulds for .375 in weights from 150 to 360 grains. Getting the .375 H&H to shoot cast boolits well, has never been a problem.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Just me; I would stick with the .416 caliber but in the Taylor version. Not so huge as the Rigby, shorter than the .375. Big enough for elephant and small enough for cast. My .02 only.
    Thomas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Put me down for 2 votes for the .416 Taylor! I have played with a 335 Gr., a RCBS 350 Gr. and 2 versions of a 400 Gr. in GG and PP mode. Kinda hard to beat this round for ease of loading as well as needed power and vel. at the distances you mention. Also it can be made quite nicely on a std. Mauser action. Right now my favorite boolet is the RCBS 350 Gr. in either a H.P. by `Buckshot`, or solid nose.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

The 375 H7H will suit your needs a lot better than the 416 Rigby, especially with cast bullets. Use a 12" twist in it.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

The Taylor looks interesting. What about 416 ruger? Brass availability is interesting for both of those. I also prefer no belt.... What do you guys think about taylor vs ruger?

Boolit Master
    I shoot and hunt with both the 375 H&H and a 416 Rigby and can tell you a 416 of any persuasion is a whole lot of rifle and with jacketed bullets and full house loads more than a lot of shooters want to get acquainted with. Unless your planning a trip to Africa the 375 is a lot friendlier to the shoulder with any load. If all you're going to do is shoot cast bullets for fun or hunting here in North America 375 brass is cheaper and uses far less powder and lead. A 416 gets points for the cool factor at the range but do you really need one?
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    So, how about black powder in any of those? Preferences change?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Charlie, for black powder the .38-56 is hard to beat and is easily formed from .45-70 brass.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the 375 H&H

Boolit Master
    I have both, and as much as I love the Rigby, I think the 375 would be the easier of the two to work with due to the smaller case volume. I had no problem getting to full power with cast in my 375, and of course it can be downloaded if you wish.

Boolit Grand Master
    I would go with the .375. But even it will not be what I would use “for cheap practice”. But for medium game you wish to hunt why not consider the .358 Winchester? Cheap brass and certainly enough gun out to 250 yards.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Charlie, for black powder the .38-56 is hard to beat and is easily formed from .45-70 brass.
    But that is a rimmed cart. I was thinking of a bolt gun.

.450 Marlin would be about right but would rather have a smaller dia bullet.

Boolit Master
    IMHO the .375H&H is never a wrong answer.

In Remembrance

An arguement that I like to put forward about making brass for a rifle from another cartridge is "how many cases can be made into a .375 H&H"? A .416 Taylor case can be easily necked from any of the long Winchester mag. rounds, the .458 Win. Mag. being the most commonly used. A Speer 350 gr. JSP is very accurate and would fill the bill for just about anything that would require a `J` round in the U.S. The 350 gr. RCBS `H.P.` by `Buckshot` is absolutely devastating when driven at the 350 gr. solid vel.Robert

Boolit Master
    I would think that .375 cases are just as easy to find as .458WM cases.

Boolit Master

I have 2 Semi-custom .358 Winchesters. Both are accurate with both cast and jacketed bullets. It is plenty of gun at moderate range for anything on our continent. I also have bigger rifles, but they aren't nearly as versatile. The .35 Whelen is also good. Of the two you mention, I'd stay with the .375.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

Boolit Master
    I was in the process of building a 375H&H as a range/large game rifle but found a left handed 375 Ruger African for less than the cost of having a smith assemble my rifle.
    I haven’t shot any cast through it yet but I don’t find the recoil objectionable with factory ammo or my hand loads. I do believe NOE makes a mold for the 375 Ruger but like I said I haven’t pursued cast in this rifle. The Speer 235gr is a fun one for general paper punching. They are pretty cheap as well(for a large caliber). I also picked up several hundred 270gr round nose blems from midway at a really good deal.

I still plan to finish my Pattern 14 project but I’m thinking to re-chamber it to 375 Weatherby. I haven’t decided what to do at this point. A few more small parts and I’ll have everything I need.

Boolit Master

Thank you for all the replies, guys! Great discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I would go with the .375. But even it will not be what I would use “for cheap practice”. But for medium game you wish to hunt why not consider the .358 Winchester? Cheap brass and certainly enough gun out to 250 yards.
    I didn't mention it, but I had other requirements that limited me to 375 caliber and up. It wasn't a needed mention because it would have only muddied the conversation, and not help get opinions about cast in these two cases. But short answer, I am looking at consolidation (nevermind why) and I want to see if I can consolidate three guns into one, one of which is a 510 wells capable of hunting cape buffalo. Just in case. So I am trying to combine a buffalo gun and pig gun, and I know that 375 and 416 both can be loaded light enough to do double duty. That whole concept is irellevant to the cast bullet question though, so I left it out.

Quote Originally Posted by warboar_21 View Post
    I was in the process of building a 375H&H as a range/large game rifle but found a left handed 375 Ruger African for less than the cost of having a smith assemble my rifle.
    I haven’t shot any cast through it yet but I don’t find the recoil objectionable with factory ammo or my hand loads. I do believe NOE makes a mold for the 375 Ruger but like I said I haven’t pursued cast in this rifle. The Speer 235gr is a fun one for general paper punching. They are pretty cheap as well(for a large caliber). I also picked up several hundred 270gr round nose blems from midway at a really good deal.

I still plan to finish my Pattern 14 project but I’m thinking to re-chamber it to 375 Weatherby. I haven’t decided what to do at this point. A few more small parts and I’ll have everything I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Put me down for 2 votes for the .416 Taylor! I have played with a 335 Gr., a RCBS 350 Gr. and 2 versions of a 400 Gr. in GG and PP mode. Kinda hard to beat this round for ease of loading as well as needed power and vel. at the distances you mention. Also it can be made quite nicely on a std. Mauser action. Right now my favorite boolet is the RCBS 350 Gr. in either a H.P. by `Buckshot`, or solid nose.Robert
    OK, so I made up my mind. I'm going to explore the idea of 416 taylor or 416 Ruger. I am going to start with ruger because it's slightly, slightly bigger, but more than that, brass costs $1 each. A proper Taylor brass is $3 each, and I've learned that life is alot easier when my guns have ONE head stamp of brass (you know, for the guns when I care about that kind of thing), and part of my needs involve using quality brass.

To that end I just bought Quickloads, so I can play on paper wiht respect to cartridge ballistics with the 416 ruger or taylor case and some bullets I am interested in running. If the modelling just doesn't add up, I'll run 375. H&H preferrably, but possibly the ruger case or some other equivalent-to-375-H&H-performance case.

But hopefully the 416 models well! There is something about the 416 caliber that just tickles my fancy in no other way save the 510 caliber. (375 bullets are just so darn cheap in comparison though! )

Boolit Grand Master

I too have both the .375 H&H and .416 Taylor. For hogs and plains game the .375 is hard to beat!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast