my season is 1 week and I just started hunting
    yesterday my season ends after tomorrow so 1 more day
    had them come in and got busted today so I pulled out
    instead of pressuring them so with any luck tom will be the day
    anyone else chasing them?
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    My buddy is hunting for them. He says that they don't live on the GMA....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    My 12yld daughter took her 2nd bird just yesterday, 2 years hunting and got a bird both years on her first day hunting. I was never that lucky.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master
    Went out this morning, 1st day of the MI spring turkey season. Very quiet morning, heard no gobbling until about 9 am, and it was one single gobble. Earlier in the day, I spotted a tom out in an open field. too far out, tried calling but he didn't seem interested. Later on, at another spot, I watched two hens feeding out in the open. Hoped they would entice a tom, but that didn't happen. Big difference from last year. Tagged out within the 1st hour. Nice 22 lb tom with a 9-1/2" beard.

Boolit Master

Me and my Son start on Friday Good Luck too you
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Moderator Emeritus

I live in the mountains so no field hunting for me. Was out with my puppy the other day in woods and heard two Tom's from different directions calling. I can't walk far with my back so am limited to where I can realistically hunt. Pretty hard tracking a turkey in woods.

Boolit Buddy

I went on a turkey hunt for the first time last month. Got a nice 21lb tom with 9 1/2" beard ad 3/4" spurs. Season in this state ends next week so I will try to get another one if possible.

Boolit Grand Master

I went last week without any luck. Several days they were not gobbling. Saw some hens one day. Heard on gobble another day but he was more interested in talking to the hoot owl than he was me. I can't go to them like I once was able to do. You're kind of handicapped if you can't get around very well and they are too smart to drive or ride to.

Boolit Master
    Dave hasn't seen any, so we're going fishing Friday....Something we're both good at....

Lori won't mind me getting out of the house for a spell, either!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I got my tom yesterday after two days of hunting. The first day I had two toms come in at the same time but they travel with deer and I spooked one when I tried to bring my crossbow up on a tom with a cool double beard. Yesterday I had basically the same thing happen with turkeys and deer coming in at the same time. Three toms showed up and three deer. I waited about fifteen minutes for the right time to bring the bow up. A deer whistled when I did and the turkeys startled, but the big tom stopped at 20 yards. The crossbow arrow found it's target and tom dropped on the spot. It wasn't the big tom I had on the trail camera but he's still a nice fat one and am sure he will taste great.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison

Turkeys are great entertainment for us

I look out my home office window every day to anywhere from 2 toms and 4-6 girls (current lineup) to upwards of 43 mixed (earlier in the season). 43 total is the record for us at one time. They are so thick here in New Hampshire we put up Turkey Crossing signs on the road.
    I could take my suppressed Ruger 22 and pop one and have it in the freezer before F&G showed....not that I would do that.
    Turkeys are like pigeons here in NH. We have 6 bird feeders and put out cracked corn, and the turkeys must have our house prominently displayed in their Turkey Newsletter.....
    I'm not sure I could bring myself to hunt them.....too many of them are like friends. Some will come close enough to throw corn onto their backs.....others are really skittish.
    They sure are fun to watch though.
    The Toms are strutting their stuff right now and like in real life the girls are saying ":...is that the best you can do?"....and ignoring them.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.