Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hollowpoint failure

Boolit Master

Hollowpoint failure

I’ve searched the forum but I’m still not sure what I’m doing wrong. I cast a 260gr .431” hollowpoint boolit using an NOE mold with half COWW and half pure lead, water dropped. Shooting them out of a 4” S&W 629 over 10gr of Unique into water jugs the nose completely blows off leaving a 190gr RN that goes thru six jugs. How do you guys get your cast HP boolits to make pretty mushrooms?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	q8Zdi6U_d.jpg 
Views:	750 
Size:	5.4 KB 
ID:	219070

I’m sure they will leave a mark but it bugs me that I am not doing something right.

TIA

Boolit Master

Maybe skip water dropping?...
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Rick,

Although some folk are fans of cast hollow point bullets, the results will always and forever depend on the alloy and the velocity at impact. Simply because they have no controlling factor such as the jacket found on "J" bullets.

I agree, stop the water quenching.

I use a 50/50 - Wheel Weights/lead, water quenched for my 465gr Wide Flat Nose bullets used in my 45/70, but I do NOT seek expansion! Reason, The large meplat of the WFN bullets.

These quenched bullets test surprisingly hard considering the alloy. This bullet/alloy is awesome on game from the 45/70.

So, expect variable result with your cast hollow point bullets. While possibly effective in use and giving "classic" mushrooms, that perfect/classic result will only happen in the rather narrow window dictated by the alloy and impact velocity.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Banned

I would add some tin

Boolit Master
    I would add up to 2% tin to your alloy and drop the water quenching.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys!

I tried some without water quenching previously, same result.
    Time to fire up the caldron and bubble up a new potion with a pinch of tin. Hold the quench.

Banned

I think many have the wrong idea of how a cast hollow point should work from a pistol/revolver for the bigger game such as deer. You want that hollow point to open and mushroom only after it has initially entered the body right upon entering the vital, do a lot of damage, shed the mushroom, then punch the rest of the way through exiting the body. Then you have two holes for a blood trail. This of it as a Nosler Partition because that's what it does if you drive it fast enough to do so. You do not want it to open up just hitting the deer on the surface tissue. As for varmints you want it to explode. Water is a bad thing to test hollow points in. 50/50 with ww's/lead is more malleable then just ww's. I wouldn't water quench it either.

Boolit Master
    Just a personal thought here, but with the results I had this past Fall on two deer shot with .280gr Wide Flat Nose fired from my RUGER 77/44 and after seeing repeated results on deer and elk with a heavier WFN fired from my 45/70, simply FORGET the Hollow point.

A large meplat will get er done! And do so without the sometimes good/bad results of a H.P.

The WFN meplat is always large. If it expands a bit, well fine, but you have no need to rely on that. It is always consistent and always big.

My .44 deer were taken with just plain old Wheel Weights used for the alloy. One at a lasered 95/100yds. Complete pass through and dead where it stood. Second, a nice buck taken at 50yds. +/- facing me and taken through the neck with the bullet passing completely through the neck bone then on into the shoulder and through the shoulder blade before exiting on the back of the shoulder. Of course, dead where it stood.

Possibly a good read for the O.P. would be the book by Vearl Smith of Lead Bullet Technologies (LBT). OR, Check it out on line.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

For velocity @ <1,000 FPS @ impact ... use Pb + Sn to achieve BHN number ~
    (V @ impact / 100 = BHN target blend)

For velocity @ >1,000 FPS @ impact ... use COWW + Sn to achieve BHN number ~
    (V @ impact / 125 = BHN target blend)

*Sn makes the Pb malleable/ yet soft enough to mushroom @ lower velocities and not fragment or be so soft that it shears off the nose in sheets (irregular shaped pieces & thin) in the picture below (not enough Sn blended in yet) Here the velocity was 760 FPS, .38S snubby.

Name:	tCMB0LJ.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	219083

* With COWW's there's the Sb & As to contend with that makes the blend more towards brittle than malleable, adding Sn reduces the tendency to frag and makes the blend more malleable to mushroom & retain it's weight.

Not knowing the exact percentage of your alloy, only knowing that there is Sb & As there makes it a little tougher to get the blend just right. Only experimentation will prove your blend of metals.
    If conditions are that you have to penetrate clothing or thick hide sometimes you need to put a silicone plug in the HP to penetrate through the porous materials that would interfere with the HP's ability in developing adequate hydraulic pressure within the hollow point cavity to open it up.

These Keith HP's with the small HP are hard to work with @ lower velocities...results all over the map, all unacceptable.

Name:	q4wwxhC.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	219093

Using silicone to plug the HP cavity results were more predictable.

Name:	SPlUjpQ.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	219094

HP's work correctly, open wide & retain weight within a window of velocity on each blend of bullet metal versus it's velocity. A wide open mushroom only tends to stop penetration like a parachute & deliver all it's energy into the vitals causing them to liquify to some extent. Your intended purpose is the main factor, as in hunting a large animal where penetration is the first concern. Sometimes just a wide meplat is a better choice.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    I have two molds for this boolit from NOE, a four cavity normal FN /gas check and a two cavity gas check with pins. I hunt with the flat nosed boolit in my SBH and Marlin 1894 but have never got a shootable deer in range while carrying either gun. It shoots great groups out of either gun over a max load of 2400.

The HP version may be a tad more accurate but not enough to make any Real World difference. I’m really just “what if’fn” as a viable defensive load against two and four legged varmints.

vzerone,
    These would definitely frag about the first 8” and then leave two holes to leak.

CDOC,
    I use this alloy in my various .45-70’s with a 360gr FN and it will stack deer up nicely. With no meat loss either.

OS OK
    Thanks for the well thought out reply with pictures! Raining and cooler here tomorrow, sounds like a good day to be in the reloading shed casting.

Boolit Master
    Your alloy is WAY too hard. Skip the water drop, seriously reduce the Sb, add lots of Sn, and this is what you get.

Don

Name:	Hollowpoint Testing.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	219098
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crusty Deary Ol'Coot View Post
    Just a personal thought here, but with the results I had this past Fall on two deer shot with .280gr Wide Flat Nose fired from my RUGER 77/44 and after seeing repeated results on deer and elk with a heavier WFN fired from my 45/70, simply FORGET the Hollow point.

A large meplat will get er done! And do so without the sometimes good/bad results of a H.P.

The WFN meplat is always large. If it expands a bit, well fine, but you have no need to rely on that. It is always consistent and always big.

My .44 deer were taken with just plain old Wheel Weights used for the alloy. One at a lasered 95/100yds. Complete pass through and dead where it stood. Second, a nice buck taken at 50yds. +/- facing me and taken through the neck with the bullet passing completely through the neck bone then on into the shoulder and through the shoulder blade before exiting on the back of the shoulder. Of course, dead where it stood.

Possibly a good read for the O.P. would be the book by Vearl Smith of Lead Bullet Technologies (LBT). OR, Check it out on line.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
    I agree. Forget HP and go the WFN route!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

As mentioned; add 2% tin to the COWs before mixing with lead and air cool them.....don't water quench. A better alloy for the load you are using would be 20 to1 or 30 to 1 lead to tin w/o any antimony.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Choose wisely if you wanna hunt big creatures. HP which don’t shed HP but rather mushroom without loosing any weight can stop rather quickly.

MP copy of 432640 Devastator 253grs with deep HP at 750fps penetrated 6” in wet soft paper (soaked for many days). Same penetration on same day in same paper was with 200grs 432-423 penta HP. HP’s were made from pure lead+2% tin.

MP copy of solid H&G#503 penetrated 18”, some were ww, some half ww/half pure, same velocity. Air cooled. Penetration length mirrors my 140grs TSX from 7x64 at 2950fps.

I will repeat that with same HP’s but with higher velocity to see what happens.

Boolit Master
    You have had some good advice on alloys. Antimony is cheaper than tin, so it is used in wheel weights on a scale that makes bullets brittle. Also any large hollow is going to make any bullet likely to shed its point. Here is one that I feel almost automatically failed, unless you wanted fragments scattered around looking for a blood vessel.

Name:	hollow point.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	219137

You would probably do better by making a hollow point pin with a smaller, conical cavity, and by using something like the tried and tested Lyman #2 alloy (no longer a Lyman product), which is 5% by weight of tin, 5% antimony and 90% lead. You give or take a little for variation in the composition of wheelweights, it can be made as follows:

5½ parts by weight wheelweights
    3½ parts lead
    1 part 50-50 bar solder

Water as testing medium gives the ultimate in hydraulic expansion, and soaked paper may be closer to what happens after a bullet passes through hair, hide and possibly light bone. Anyone who de-rims rimfire cases to swage .22 bullets, or uses jackets in that size or .17, has the means to try something which might help control expansion:

Name:	Copper-tubed bullet.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	219138

This is rather like the old Gould bullet, which offered alternative applications as a rather excessive, Express-style hollow-point, or an explosive bullet by the insertion of a .22 blank. I would want the latter to have a rim recess and excessive "headspace", for a dropped rifle cartridge always falls on its nose. They should most emphatically be for recreation only, not use on any kind of game, and I wouldn't want to fire one at anything close up.

I remember some testing I once did, firing .22 rimfires into water. Solids keyholed and stayed sideways after different depths of water, although the striations showed they were still spinning. Observe in my left-hand picture how they had the same attitude after different distances.) HV hollow-points (the old Eley, for which they perhaps mendaciously claimed 1400ft./sec.) mushroomed very nicely, stayed nose-forward (perhaps because they were shorter), and hit rock with a light impact at shorter distances than the solids. CCI Stingers disintegrated in a very short distance into water, the largest piece being a button of only 7gr. or so which used to be the base. I once killed one of our greyhound-sized roe deer, after as short a run as a centrefire bullet often allows them, with four of those within a palm's size of the chest cavity, but the heart untouched. Even if that was still legal, I wouldn't try it again after that test.

Name:	.22 lr through various distances in water.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	219139Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.22 LRHP in Water.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	219140
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hollow point.bmp  
    Last edited by Ballistics in Scotland; 04-24-2018 at 08:41 AM.

Interesting stuff. I am planning on getting a hp version of the rcbs 200 grain 35 mold from the mihec group buy under way. This boolit does 1700 fps or so from my rifle and I would like to experiment with alloys. I think 90/5/5 looks like a good place to start, perhaps with a shallow hp. Is there any reason to think this would be too hard?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    Interesting stuff. I am planning on getting a hp version of the rcbs 200 grain 35 mold from the mihec group buy under way. This boolit does 1700 fps or so from my rifle and I would like to experiment with alloys. I think 90/5/5 looks like a good place to start, perhaps with a shallow hp. Is there any reason to think this would be too hard?
    I'd guess that 90/5/5 would be an excellent start working with a stock bullet metal at that velocity. Lyman no. 2 is the same blend @ 15 BHN...if anything you may need to back off from there on hardness...just spitwadding but, 3%Sn/4%Sb/93%Pb @ 13.2 BHN air cooled would be where I'd start testing and blend up from there. It's easy to increase with small amounts of component metal but it's harder to blend down...I usually end up with a pot full of expensive bullet metal that missed the mark.
    Another consideration is, "what bullet metal did we really end up with after blending/casting/testing?" I try to weigh the components as accurately as possible but when I get to where I'm satisfied with the results what really is the percentages in that last successful pot? I suppose the best way to end up with a workable recipe is to get the final blend X-rayed.
    I wish I could give you better info about rifle HP's but thus far all I've concentrated on is pistol/revolver.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    That is Lyman #2 alloy and at 1700 fps it is too hard. For that velocity better place to start is with a 95/2.5/2.5 alloy. Better yet would be a 16 to 1 alloy(lead to tin).
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    That is Lyman #2 alloy and at 1700 fps it is too hard. For that velocity better place to start is with a 95/2.5/2.5 alloy. Better yet would be a 16 to 1 alloy(lead to tin).
    95/2.5/2.5 is about what I have used for the solids, which is basically coww plus some tin. I am guessing 16:1 would be pretty soft but hold together well, so I might try that. At what velocity would 90/5/5 be appropriate?
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Banned

I have found 94/3/3 to be the perfect balanced alloy
    You can heat treat to 21 BHN plus, but it will settle around 21
    I also like 20 to 1 lead tin alloy
    These are the two alloys I use

duc·tile
    ˈdəktl,ˈdəkˌtīl/Submit
    adjective
    (of a metal) able to be drawn out into a thin wire.
    able to be deformed without losing toughness; pliable, not brittle.
    synonyms: pliable, pliant, flexible, supple, plastic, tensile

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast