Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Front sight width on a Ruger Bisley .44 mag Lipsey special w/ 3-7/8" bbl

Boolit Master

rear sight width on a Ruger Bisley .44 mag Lipsey special w/ 3-7/8" bbl

Would any of you who have one of these revolvers please measure the "notch" width of the rear sight for me? Thanks.

(I have recently bought one of these guns second hand, and since I can see no "light bars" when shooting it, I'm thinking a former owner may have changed out the front blade.)
    Last edited by Shuz; 04-26-2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: trying to get info
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    .127 on mine .

Boolit Master
    The shorter the barrel, the fatter the front appears, I bet it's a stock sight for something else in the Ruger line.

Boolit Master
    .125 is about the normal size. I know some folks have a gunsmith narrow the front blade to .110 for their eyes.

Boolit Master
    My front sight is .125 also. I measured the gap in the rear sight and found it to be .088. My other Ruger Supers have a .125" rear sight aperture width. So...I think I solved the issue. Looks like some former owner musta replaced the original rear sight blade with a smaller one! Just to be sure,, would some of you also measure your "aperture" gap on your rear sight and post the results?--Thanks, Shuz

Boolit Master
    Actually, some of the rear sights from Ruger are different heights & widths. Just place a polite call to Ruger & I'm sure you will get a replacement rear blade easily & most likely free.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Actually, some of the rear sights from Ruger are different heights & widths. Just place a polite call to Ruger & I'm sure you will get a replacement rear blade easily & most likely free.
    I did just that and the "nice fella" said that the only other rear sight blade that they had was a V notch, so he's sending me one.
    Perhaps I should call again after I receive this sight blade and hopefully get some other customer service rep. They must have other widths available as you say. My Ruger KS45N has a .125" notch in the rear blade!

Boolit Master

Check out Dawson Precision in TX they make front & rear sights for various handguns, including Ruger with a wide selection of sight width & sight height options, as well as fiber optic sights.

Ive run into the same problem with S&W revolvers and a few others brands! S&W usually uses a .125 width front sight with a rear sight notch width of .125 from a 2" barrel or a 8.3" barrel , the shorter barrel usually needs a thinner front sight and the 8.3" needs a narrower rear sight opening,
    A nice replacement rear blade with different width rear notch for S&W revolvers is available from Weigand / Midway / Brownells
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 04-26-2018 at 10:00 AM.

Boolit Master
    By editing, I prolly really screwed this thread up now! Let's try clarification: I have a Ruger Bisley .44 mag with a 3-3/4" bbl in .44 mag. My front sight measures .125 and my rear sight notch measures .088. Some previous posts have reported their front sights are also .125, but I have yet to see a post that reports on what their rear sight notch measures.

Boolit Master

That's a pretty narrow rear sight blade notch width ! for most handguns

I have silloutte pistols with .080 rear notches widths though

I checked Dawsons and they make sights for rugers but not for the ruger SA revolvers !
    Last edited by bobthenailer; 04-27-2018 at 07:58 AM.