Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 624 Target Model of 1985

Boolit Buddy

S&W 624 Target Model of 1985

Here's one you all might like. This video features the 1985 reincarnation of the classic Target Model of 1950 chambered for the timeless 44 Special cartridge. Among others, I tested the "Skeeter Skelton" load, which is one of my favorites. Be sure to let me know what you think of the revolver and the video!

HRF

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    Is that one of the "Lew Horton" exclusives??

Boolit Buddy
    No, those were 3" round-butt versions. I desperately want one of those!

HRF

Boolit Grand Master

Note: I don't know what happened to my original post but half of it has disappeared...
    We'll try it again:
    I have both the 4" and 6.5" versions of the 624 and they are absolutely SUPERB revolvers. They are “as good as it gets”! I bought them when they first hit the market.

Dale53
    Last edited by Dale53; 04-24-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale53 View Post
    versions of the 624 and they Re absolutely SUPERB revolvers. They are “as good as it gets”!

Dale53

I agree Dale!

Boolit Master
    I picked up a NIB one pretty cheap a few years ago, super nice gun, but big cylinder throats. This model also had a recall for improper heat treat, ones that got checked I believe have a red "C" in a circle on the box.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dubber123 View Post
    I picked up a NIB one pretty cheap a few years ago, super nice gun, but big cylinder throats. This model also had a recall for improper heat treat, ones that got checked I believe have a red "C" in a circle on the box.
    That’s correct. I discussed all of that in the video.

HRF

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    That’s correct. I discussed all of that in the video.

HRF
    That obvious I was skimming and didn't watch the video?

Boolit Buddy
    Great Video Howard!! The 624 is one of my go to revolvers to shoot. They are also great shooting with the .44 Russian cartridge. My understanding is the heat treating problem was the "cover" story to get folks to ship their revolvers back for the recall. The fact is chambers were drilled too long and could chamber a .44 Magnum cartridge case. I believe the cylinders are no longer available for the recall.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
    Great Video Howard!! The 624 is one of my go to revolvers to shoot. They are also great shooting with the .44 Russian cartridge. My understanding is the heat treating problem was the "cover" story to get folks to ship their revolvers back for the recall. The fact is chambers were drilled too long and could chamber a .44 Magnum cartridge case. I believe the cylinders are no longer available for the recall.
    Interesting. I've never heard that before, but I suppose it can't be completely ruled out. Thanks for the info!

HRF

Boolit Master
    Great video! I like your style, no bs just good factual based review with enough humor to not be “dry”!

My favorite is the 629 MG and it borrows the tapered barrel so I feel a “kinship” between it and the Smiths of yesteryear. Folks get wrapped up in heavy muzzle guns with the idea that it helps with recoil in the more robust magnum cartridges. We are all individuals and my preference with recoil is to tolerate the greater sting in my strong side web of my hand vs. a more direct rearward thrust from a more muzzle heavy gun. The bonus is better balance.

The extreme example I give is the first time I handled a 10” X-frame 500 S&W. It was so muzzle heavy I felt it needed a set of wheels under the barrel!

How can one shoot well when you are straining to keep on target?

I can’t and as a farmer/rancher I have a set of “paws” that are not daisy sniffers. If I notice the difference how is someone who works with less strenuous stuff going to fair?

I have a DW in .41 Mag with a full under rib on it’s barrel shroud and I would just about wrestle with a mad bear to acquire a short shroud for that revolver as I really like that revolver otherwise (it has a single action pull that is a “thinking trigger”).

Best regards

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 04-24-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you! I have a 629 MG also. I made a video with it a few months ago. If you're interested in that one, check out the link below. There's a lot of personal preference involved when it comes to the weight and balance of a handgun. The thing I always notice about the tapered barrels is how well they "hang". Just like the 624 (and the 629 MG) they seem to stay right on target when you aim!

HRF

In the early 80's Skeeter Skelton wrote that Smith and Wesson would make a limited run of Model 24s if the demand was high enough and asked folks to write Smith, if they wanted one. I wrote the letter and in due time Smith made a run of 1,500 4" and 1,500 6.5" blue Model 24s. Shortly there after they made a another run of 4" and 6.5" 624s of course in stainless. I had one of the 6.5" 24s and the revolver in the video in one of the stainless pistols.

The bad news is that the quality control of Smith was very low at this time. I had to send my back because the front sight was not straight and the cylinder had way too much endshake.It came back just fine. In those days, it was said that it was manufacturing's job to make the handguns, sale's job to sell them and the service department's job to make them shoot.

Lew Horton ordered some 3" round butt 24's at this time and I had one of those as well. Again the quality was not the best.

Addendum: Smith and Wesson never put "micrometer" adjustable sights on their revolver. The Smith and Wesson "Target Sight" was click adjustable. Quite a difference, just because a sight have click adjustments, that does not equal micrometer adjustable.

Addendum 2: I never held on my any Smith and Wesson 44 Special revolvers because I never could discover any of the much talked about wonders associated with these pistols. They were all sold down river except one. I hung on to a 1933 vintage Hand Ejector that had been over the bench at Micro, as a good example of full house early 50's full house custom revolver. It shoot well, but nothing outstanding.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44 Hand Ejector 1933 small.jpg  
    Last edited by Char-Gar; 04-24-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    Just as a clarification, "Micrometer Adjustable Rear Sight" is the descriptor used by S&W. I realize they are not true micrometer adjustments, I was just using the same terminology as S&W.

HRF

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    ... timeless 44 Special cartridge. Among others, I tested the "Skeeter Skelton" load, which is one of my favorites. ...

HRF
    What is the "Skeeter Skelton" load?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by knuckleball View Post
    What is the "Skeeter Skelton" load?
    Skeeter's standard 44 Special load was a Lyman 429421 Keith over 7.5 grains Unique.

If you google "skeeter skelton load," you'll find early Shooting Times articles in which SS describes all his revolver loads.

I couldn't wait for them to come out when they were announced and when they finally became available I bought 3 of them ... two 6 1/2"s and a 4". They all shoot great and I love these guns!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    I couldn't wait for them to come out when they were announced and when they finally became available I bought 3 of them ... two 6 1/2"s and a 4". They all shoot great and I love these guns!
    There's nothing not to love!

HRF

Moderator Emeritus

I had a 6 1/2" I bought used from a guy in California years ago. It's accuracy did not measure up to my Redhawk so it got sold.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have previously posted about my 624 44 Magnum. I don't know if all the revolvers recalled under the heat treatment story will chamber a magnum round, but mine does. I have read, but do not know for a fact, that S&W will no longer fit new cylinders but will replace a returned revolver with you choice from their current lineup. Mine will not go back to them while I am alive.
    Tony

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast