Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 624 Target Model of 1985

Boolit Master

Interesting video. I learned several things from it. Thanks for sharing. Haven't seen a 624 in quite some time around here.
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Buddy
    Thank you! I’m glad it was informative!

HRF

Boolit Bub
    I have one of the 3" LHS... still NIB
    nowadays I just can't bring myself to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrfunk View Post
    There's nothing not to love!

HRF
    I'm not in love with the large cylinder throats, (.433") on my sample, but for the $450 NIB I paid just a few years back, I won't complain too much. I did in my limited shooting notice accuracy was markedly improved when a boolit that fit the throats was used compared to my normally sized .431" boolits.

Boolit Mold
    That's a very nice gun for its day. My Ruger Super Redhawk will shoot the X-ring out at that range all day long. Thanks for sharing it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckleball View Post
    That's a very nice gun for its day. My Ruger Super Redhawk will shoot the X-ring out at that range all day long. Thanks for sharing it.
    You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it!

HRF

Boolit Master
    I stumbled upon a new M24 6.5" some time ago, the limited edition with extremely poorly done laser engraving, marked 'Through The Line.' New, no box or the stuff that comes with it, for $395. Since I wanted it to shoot, the lack of box and accoutrements didn't bother me. Wish I also had a 4" 24 or 624, but... I'm sure I'll survive.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    Hrf,

Thank you for the video on my personal favorite, the 629 MG!

As you point out there are a nearly endless universe of handloads for the 44.

I was a big fan of Skeeter Skelton both his writing style and his knowledge and use of big bore revolvers. His load after his name ... the Skelton load .... that you used in your middle power level in the MG .... I modify for use in a 44 Mag by adding one grain of Unique bringing the charge to 8.5 gr. to be fired in magnum cases in magnum revolvers.

In reaction to Unique’s less than grand metering through powder measures and a desire to adopt a power level a bit higher than the Skelton load adapted to magnum cases, I started testing other powders. Often you see load manuals list charging Unique at higher levels. I could have just loaded the Unique hotter and been safe within recommended charge levels but I was not satisfied with that approach for a couple of reasons.

For one, cast lead has a certain level of yield and compressive strengths. Most cast boolits or more correctly most lead alloys we boolit casters work with are hitting their sweet spot in a firearm conditioned for lead at around 26,000 psi. In running up the charge level of Unique to gain power one can easily exceed this pressure level and likely hit the mid 30K or exceed it. The result? More leading.

Second, as I began testing different powders I loaded three of one combination in alternating chambers and three rounds of another powder. The purpose of this was to compare (admittedly subjective) the recoil impulse). For point of reference, the subject boolit was the RCBS 250K in all this testing.

Two powders stood out: 800x and HS-6

I found that though I could certainly get more power out of 800x than a Skelton load the recoil impulse and poor metering characteristics ruled this bulky powder out resoundingly!

So my attention then turned to the Hodgdon’s magnum shotgun powder .... HS-6 and it quickly became my absolute favorite medium field load. HS-6 runs through powder measures like butter on a hot skillet. It’s recoil impulse is very satisfactory for the power delivered. It is comparable to the newer version of Unique for cleanliness. I use magnum primers with it though there are handloaders that claim they are not necessary.

My targets like the shotgun powder as does my chronograph! I get 1066 FPS with a standard deviation of just 7 FPS from my 4” Smith while charging 11.8 gr. of powder with the RCBS 250K slug.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Master

I bought a 624 3" back in 1988. The Gun shop "lost" the box & Factory grips. $225. Out the door w/Pachmyers.

It's always shot well for me. I use a reduced SKEETER Load of 6.5grs of UNIQUE with the KEITH bullet.
    I used to get 3" group's at 25yds. Not much sight radius. UNIQUE has always metered clean for me, as long as It's over 5.0grs.
    These days I shoot a LEE 210gr WC over 3.0grs of TITEGROUP. I get 2 1/2" groups at 50ft.
    Made a pair of MAGNA style grips & added a TYLER T-GRIP.

Just went out to check my cylinder to see if it would fit .44 Mag cases.
    NOPE.
    Measured chamber mouths, 2 at .431, 4 at .430.
    Guess I lucked out.
    Wish I'd held on to my 6 1/2" 24.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    You're welcome. I'm glad you liked it! I think from the look of your post, you have a great load for your MG. May it serve you well!

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Hrf,

Thank you for the video on my personal favorite, the 629 MG!

As you point out there are a nearly endless universe of handloads for the 44.

I was a big fan of Skeeter Skelton both his writing style and his knowledge and use of big bore revolvers. His load after his name ... the Skelton load .... that you used in your middle power level in the MG .... I modify for use in a 44 Mag by adding one grain of Unique bringing the charge to 8.5 gr. to be fired in magnum cases in magnum revolvers.

In reaction to Unique’s less than grand metering through powder measures and a desire to adopt a power level a bit higher than the Skelton load adapted to magnum cases, I started testing other powders. Often you see load manuals list charging Unique at higher levels. I could have just loaded the Unique hotter and been safe within recommended charge levels but I was not satisfied with that approach for a couple of reasons.

For one, cast lead has a certain level of yield and compressive strengths. Most cast boolits or more correctly most lead alloys we boolit casters work with are hitting their sweet spot in a firearm conditioned for lead at around 26,000 psi. In running up the charge level of Unique to gain power one can easily exceed this pressure level and likely hit the mid 30K or exceed it. The result? More leading.

Second, as I began testing different powders I loaded three of one combination in alternating chambers and three rounds of another powder. The purpose of this was to compare (admittedly subjective) the recoil impulse). For point of reference, the subject boolit was the RCBS 250K in all this testing.

Two powders stood out: 800x and HS-6

I found that though I could certainly get more power out of 800x than a Skelton load the recoil impulse and poor metering characteristics ruled this bulky powder out resoundingly!

So my attention then turned to the Hodgdon’s magnum shotgun powder .... HS-6 and it quickly became my absolute favorite medium field load. HS-6 runs through powder measures like butter on a hot skillet. It’s recoil impulse is very satisfactory for the power delivered. It is comparable to the newer version of Unique for cleanliness. I use magnum primers with it though there are handloaders that claim they are not necessary.

My targets like the shotgun powder as does my chronograph! I get 1066 FPS with a standard deviation of just 7 FPS from my 4” Smith while charging 11.8 gr. of powder with the RCBS 250K slug.

Best regards

Three44s

Boolit Buddy
    I've always wanted one of the 3" combat versions of the 624. Maybe I'll get lucky someday! For now I'll have to settle for my 3" 629.

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    I bought a 624 3" back in 1988. The Gun shop "lost" the box & Factory grips. $225. Out the door w/Pachmyers.

It's always shot well for me. I use a reduced SKEETER Load of 6.5grs of UNIQUE with the KEITH bullet.
    I used to get 3" group's at 25yds. Not much sight radius. UNIQUE has always metered clean for me, as long as It's over 5.0grs.
    These days I shoot a LEE 210gr WC over 3.0grs of TITEGROUP. I get 2 1/2" groups at 50ft.
    Made a pair of MAGNA style grips & added a TYLER T-GRIP.

Just went out to check my cylinder to see if it would fit .44 Mag cases.
    NOPE.
    Measured chamber mouths, 2 at .431, 4 at .430.
    Guess I lucked out.
    Wish I'd held on to my 6 1/2" 24.

I found a 3" M24 in a pawn shop in E'town, KY in the early 80s; no box but looked new. I had never heard of a Lew Horton revolver so this thing got carried and shot and then shot some more. I too got enamoured of the Skelton load only mine was 7 grains of Unique and that recoiled all I wanted. That load shook my revolver loose after a time and gave it a bit of end shake. I quit that load and was satisfied with one that drove a 250 grain bullet in the 850 fps range. I still have the gun and carry t from time to time and have taken 2 deer with it and the mentioned load. The fit and finish of this revolver was superb and accuracy was excellent. Cant say about the chamber throats as I have never checked but they must be ok.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    OK, does EVERYBODY have a 3" 624 except me?

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I found a 3" M24 in a pawn shop in E'town, KY in the early 80s; no box but looked new. I had never heard of a Lew Horton revolver so this thing got carried and shot and then shot some more. I too got enamoured of the Skelton load only mine was 7 grains of Unique and that recoiled all I wanted. That load shook my revolver loose after a time and gave it a bit of end shake. I quit that load and was satisfied with one that drove a 250 grain bullet in the 850 fps range. I still have the gun and carry t from time to time and have taken 2 deer with it and the mentioned load. The fit and finish of this revolver was superb and accuracy was excellent. Cant say about the chamber throats as I have never checked but they must be ok.

Boolit Master
    Hrfunk, you're really gonna hate me but here goes. 24-3 in 3"& 4" plus the 624 with the 6.5" bbl. The last one was the first 44 special I bought, then the 3" 24-3 and finally the 4" 24-3. Couldn't stop with the first one. Got lucky finding an original S&W holster for the 624. Frank

Boolit Buddy
    Did you ever hear the story about the little fish who had all the pretty colored scales, and he gave them away to the other fish who didn't have any?

HRF

Quote Originally Posted by samari46 View Post
    Hrfunk, you're really gonna hate me but here goes. 24-3 in 3"& 4" plus the 624 with the 6.5" bbl. The last one was the first 44 special I bought, then the 3" 24-3 and finally the 4" 24-3. Couldn't stop with the first one. Got lucky finding an original S&W holster for the 624. Frank

Boolit Master
    Nope never did. However the 624 with the 6.5" barrel is what started it all. Was about to leave the show and purely by chance found it. With the Winchester 200 grain loads was like shooting a light loaded 38 special. Liked it so much found a 3" 24-3 then a 4" 24-3. After that outside of the S&W classics in 44 special I think S&W might have shot themselves in the foot in not doing anymore 44 specials except for the 296 and 396 if I got the numbers right also in the 44 special. Ruger does the match champion in 44 special. The prices I paid years back were ok but it seems that they have steadily climbed due to the fact that more shooters discover the 44 special especially made by S&W. I've seen the 3" 24-3 sell for over 1K. Frank

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150111_115613 (360x640).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	219445 S&W 24 429421 8.0 power pistol. 25 yards standing 2 handed hold.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150111_115613 (360x640).jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	219445 S&W 24 429421 8.0 power pistol. 25 yards standing 2 handed hold.
    Good shooting!

Don't take pictures of every target.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumbcocker View Post
    Don't take pictures of every target.
    That's OK. I won't tell anyone!

HRF

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast