MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Swedish Mauser

Boolit Buddy

Swedish Mauser

Results I am getting with my Swede . It is fitted with a Ramline synthetic stock and a Leupold long eye relief Scout Scope. This target was shot a 50 metres. Chrony set up 20 feet from muzzle. The boolit is cast hard using about 50 percent linotype and air cooled

Ah yes. Another CBE mould bringing home the bacon.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Pretty darn good. My Swede seems to prefer aircooled WW's. Are you sure on that velocity? If it is good numbers, I'm sure lots of people here would like to know what you did to achieve this accuracy, at this speed.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I don't know everything about cast bullets in the Swedish Mauser... but I'm going to.

I'm not familiar with this particular bullet. Could you post a photo of one?
    Sizing diameter? I've been curious about the Grex filler, too. Any comment pro or con?

Dutch
    http://dutchman.rebooty.com
    Swedish Mausers

Boolit Buddy
    The rifle is a 1941 Husqvarna Model 38 with the 24 inch barrel and the turned down bolt handle.
    The boolit is the CBE 140 gn nominal weight ; mine come out a bit heavier at 145 and when the gas check is added they are within a whisker of 150 gns. The boolit measures 268 thou across the driving bands and 258 thou across the nose . Lube is a mixture of beeswax and molybdenum grease in the grooves and, after assembly in the case, I coat the nose of the boolit with Lee Liquid Alox.

I am sure about the velocity . 4Fingermick who is a well known member of these forums has witnessed both the velocity readings and the targets.

I read an article years ago by Dave Scovill in the 1990 edition of the Handloaders Bullet Making Annual where he recommended
    the use of Grex , citing cases of reduced leading and more consistent velocities . It all sounded good to me ,so when using a medium or slow burning powder , where the case is not completely full ,I have made a practice of using it , with no negative results up to this point .

Boolit Master

Thanks for the info. It looks similar to the Lyman 150 gr 6.5. I have that mold but haven't yet cast anything in it so I don't know how its going to measure out. I hope it does as well as yours. I've gotten as good accuracy with the Lyman 140 gr and Lee 170 gr but at 1,500 fps.

Dutch

Moderator Emeritus
    Good groups heath and a high velocity, you must be getting good boolit fit.

How does it group at the longer ranges?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    Nice work. Makes me want to fix up my Swede. What kind of scope mount are you using? I can't see well enough for the iron sights.

Boolit Buddy
    Dromia. I used this rifle with the stock iron sights and wooden stock to shoot military service matches , where the target is a head and shoulder outline. 5 shots at 300 metres prone.10 shots at 200 metres;5 prone , 5 sitting . 15 shots at 100 metres ; 5 prone , 5 sitting and 5 standing . At 300 metres this load could headshoot the target every time if I did my part. I have yet to bench the load at 100 metres although it is on my list of things to do.

KLR. It is a homemade mount that sits in the rear sight base and accepts the old Tasco rings which are windage adjustable .

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Healthydee. Any chance you could post a couple of pics of your scope mount?

Boolit Buddy
    As requested.
    The mound is held on by a pin through the front ,where the rear sight leaf pivots . Two 5 mm cup head screws attach through the ears on the sight base at the rear . I had to drill holes through the sight ears but this is the only modification. Finally two 5 mm set screws push down into the sight base to take out any looseness that may remain.Hope this helps.
    Heath

Boolit Master
    Thanks, Heath. That looks great. I'll be building one this winter.

Sorry for the thread hijack.

In Remebrance

Nice work HD.

Boolit Grand Master

Heathydee; First let me say VERY impressive velocity and accuracy! I see you are using H4350 powder at 30 grs and shotgun buffer for filler. Sad to say but I think Grex has been long discontinued here, there are plenty of other brands. Your bullets should be about 16 BHN with your 50-50 alloy. Could you expound on your loading process for the filler, how much compression, is the bullet crimped or not?
    This should draw some interest right now, SINCE YOU POSTED THIS ABOUT 1.5 YEARS AGO!
    Charter Member #148