Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cast boolit for 7x57 for elk

Boolit Buddy

Cast boolit for 7x57 for elk

Just wondering if anyone has used a Boolit for elk in a 7x57. If so what boolit mold?

Boolit Master

I know it can be done but are you sure you want to use 28 caliber cast on elk?

Banned

I'm currently working with a 7x57 and will kill some deer with it using cast. Elk would be a bit iffy, but if you get close and place your shot well, it could be done.

For deer, I'm going to use a 287308 that's hollow pointed. Weighs about 166 all dressed and lubed and cast of Larry Gibson's recommended alloy.

I think you're gonna want the heaviest one your rifle will shoot well and you may want to cast them with soft points (see Bruce's sticky thread about how to do it).

I haven't cast with it yet, but I have the RCBS 168 grain bullet which would probably be a good choice.

Paper patch your bullet and send them. You will drop an elk with ease if you place your bullet and drive it (170 gr) at 23-2400 fps. The patched bullet does not need to be that hard.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Tagging this thread with interest. I've been looking at using 30-30 for elk (one day) So i've done some mild research on it. I've not found where anyone has taken one with a cast bullet, but there has been some taken with jacketed like the nosler partition.

One interesting fact about the 7x57, In the Cartridges of the world 5th I have, it says that the 7x57 has been used successfully on all manner of animals, including an elephant. Interesting for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Loudenboomer View Post
    I know it can be done but are you sure you want to use 28 caliber cast on elk?
    No I'm not sure that I want to. Especially because it's my wife's rifle, and she will be the one behind the scope. I was just wondering if anyone that had done it. I have no doubts about the rifle/cartridge combination with j-words.

Boolit Mold
    Cast bullets are fun, but when it gets a little more serious go to a bullet made for hunting that is why we have them now-a-days. A Nosler AccuBond or Partition will work very well...

Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Thanks.. I've not seen that. Amazing.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by knuckleball View Post
    Cast bullets are fun, but when it gets a little more serious go to a bullet made for hunting that is why we have them now-a-days. A Nosler AccuBond or Partition will work very well...
    A proper cast bullet acts like a Nosler Partition, without losing the weight.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Buddy
    Dan, that is an interesting thought. I have never played with paper patching, might have to look into that for my rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Paper patch your bullet and send them. You will drop an elk with ease if you place your bullet and drive it (170 gr) at 23-2400 fps. The patched bullet does not need to be that hard.

Boolit Master
    The many decades long B&C record elk was taken with a Krag 30-40 and 180 grs bullet, probably at around 2100-2200 MV. 170 grs bullets from the 30-30 at 2000 - 2100 have killed plenty of elk and moose. I will hunt elk this year with 30-40.

So, a cast .284" bullet at 150-160 grs delivered at a terminal velocity matched to the correct alloy for expansion will kill an elk if placed in the boiler room.

I would most certainly prefer a bonded j-bullet at the top of 7x57 velocity, but I take it recoil is an issue? Keep a gg boolit to about 1800 mv, bhn of boolit around 12, zero for 150, and get the shot behind the shoulder into lungs, and it will kill Mr. Elk. Put it into his shoulder, and you may get a second chance for heart and lungs.

I'd prefer 30-35 cal and 200-250 grs boolits, but if she can make the shot, she can make the kill with the 7x57.

Boolit Bub
    If your wife is anything like the women in my family, she shoots exactly where she means to which means your 7x57 cast idea is sound. I love the post by waksupi.

All that said, I'd use an Accubond or Partition because they are always further than I'd like.

Banned
    http://www.mountainmolds.com/

i would go with 7mm 165gr ranch dog? with a gas check( r&d ) with 7 or 8 grooves. its alloy should be lyman #2(should i say). it depends how far the elk is. if i were you, i'd tell her her "under 150 yards". also i'd go for a powder that goes 1800-2000fps.

Boolit Grand Master
    These are always interesting questions and I enjoyed the article that was posted about Mr. Bell.

There is little value in examples like the one from RPRNY because the back story is left out. Plenty of game has been killed with a .22 LR but that is not germane. BTW, I am not disputing anything RPRNY said...but it is not the whole story.

The "back story", is important. We rarely see the reports of game that was not killed quickly by whatever caliber is being touted. And just as important, what the person is capable of and the conditions they hunt in. A "hunter" is able to get closer to game and that compensates for shooting skill, trajectory and/or bullet energy. A "shooter" can engage at longer range and still place his shot. Mr. Bell was both. The vast majority of us are not as talented and so we attempt to maximize whatever skills we have.

My opinions are based on what I will do if I get an elk permit. These permits are not easy to get in Michigan so I will not waste the opportunity. I have participated in a couple of elk hunts as a helper but only in northern MI. Shots are typcially 100-300 yards. Elk will be found in the woods as well as in farmers fields and along power lines. The smallest elk I witnessed taken was about 350 lbs and the largest about 700 lbs. a 7mm cast bullet offers no advantage so I fail to understand why it would even be considered unless you will limit your shots to less than 150 yards. If recoil is an issue, I would shoot full powder jacketed bullets from the 7mm and add a muzzle brake. My elk rifle is a .300 Mag with a muzzle brake and it recoils like a .243 (but sounds like a .50 cal LOL)

This year our group took 7 elk and not one of the hunters wished they had used a smaller caliber. The lightest was a .270. Most "hunters" are pretty pathetic. One shot a spike instead of a cow....DNR had to be called. One hit a 6x6 in the rump at 150 yards....a real marksman there...and took another two shots to down the animal. If the best someone can do is hit the rump of an elk at 150 yards off a fence post rest.....well...caliber does not matter much.

Whatever you decide to use, take your wife to a field and determine at what range she can hit a large paper plate 5 out of 5 times from prone and from sitting with a set of shooting sticks. (From standing, it will be a lot less) That will be her maximum ethical range on an elk. The kill area is larger than that plate but during a hunt she will be dealing increased heart rate due to excitement and exertion and range may be more of an unknown. Range is more of a factor with cast bullets due to slower moving bullets with poor BC's...another strike against cast bullets for most hunters that may face a longish shot.

The 7x57 will kill and elk at 300 yards IF the shooter and bullet are capable.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    These are always interesting questions and I enjoyed the article that was posted about Mr. Bell.

There is little value in examples like the one from RPRNY because the back story is left out. Plenty of game has been killed with a .22 LR but that is not germane. BTW, I am not disputing anything RPRNY said...but it is not the whole story.

The "back story", is important. We rarely see the reports of game that was not killed quickly by whatever caliber is being touted. And just as important, what the person is capable of and the conditions they hunt in. A "hunter" is able to get closer to game and that compensates for shooting skill, trajectory and/or bullet energy. A "shooter" can engage at longer range and still place his shot. Mr. Bell was both. The vast majority of us are not as talented and so we attempt to maximize whatever skills we have.

My opinions are based on what I will do if I get an elk permit. These permits are not easy to get in Michigan so I will not waste the opportunity. I have participated in a couple of elk hunts as a helper but only in northern MI. Shots are typcially 100-300 yards. Elk will be found in the woods as well as in farmers fields and along power lines. The smallest elk I witnessed taken was about 350 lbs and the largest about 700 lbs. a 7mm cast bullet offers no advantage so I fail to understand why it would even be considered unless you will limit your shots to less than 150 yards. If recoil is an issue, I would shoot full powder jacketed bullets from the 7mm and add a muzzle brake. My elk rifle is a .300 Mag with a muzzle brake and it recoils like a .243 (but sounds like a .50 cal LOL)

This year our group took 7 elk and not one of the hunters wished they had used a smaller caliber. The lightest was a .270. Most "hunters" are pretty pathetic. One shot a spike instead of a cow....DNR had to be called. One hit a 6x6 in the rump at 150 yards....a real marksman there...and took another two shots to down the animal. If the best someone can do is hit the rump of an elk at 150 yards off a fence post rest.....well...caliber does not matter much.

Whatever you decide to use, take your wife to a field and determine at what range she can hit a large paper plate 5 out of 5 times from prone and from sitting with a set of shooting sticks. (From standing, it will be a lot less) That will be her maximum ethical range on an elk. The kill area is larger than that plate but during a hunt she will be dealing increased heart rate due to excitement and exertion and range may be more of an unknown. Range is more of a factor with cast bullets due to slower moving bullets with poor BC's...another strike against cast bullets for most hunters that may face a longish shot.

The 7x57 will kill and elk at 300 yards IF the shooter and bullet are capable.
    Part of the rest of the story:

https://www.africahunting.com/thread...-rifles.15057/

As noted Bell most often used FMJ or military bullets and placed the shot precisely.

Banned
    257 roberts will kill as well

Vendor Sponsor
    I love how people are so quick to point out the limitations of certain cartridge/bullet combinations for elk. Yet every year thousands of elk are killed all over the US with archery equipment and muzzleloaders. The best archery hunters practice their skills, limit their shots and hunt to get in close. Yet a hunter equiped with a 7x57 shooting a 166 gr cast boolit 1900 fps is deemed foolish. Some people need to get over themselves. Hunt with your 7x57. Practice your shooting skills. Take only ethical shots and hunt in close. You will be at least as deadly as any archery hunter in the field.

Boolit Grand Master

I certainly don't have any problem with using a properly loaded 7x57 to hunt elk with. With proper bullet placement it will effectively kill elk.

Having killed over 30 elk with numerous firearms from the 223 Remington up through the level 4 loadings of the 45-70 I can attest to the hardiness and tenacity even a well hit elk can demonstrate. I have seen very, very well hit elk travel very, very long distances even though they were basically dead on their feet.

I have hunted deer with the 7x57 loaded with cast bullets. While it killed the deer I (Lyman 287308HP at 1900 fps) I was quite unsatisfied with the terminal results. Both deer went a long ways before laying down to die. Both were heart/lung shot. I decided after those two deer than I wouldn't use less than 30 caliber cast bullets for hunting deer, etc. Subsequently with the use of 30, 31 and 8mm caliber rifles with cast bullets I've not had any similarly hit deer go anywhere as far as those two deer hit with the 7x57 went.

Now with jacketed bullets of proper construction the 7x57 comes into it's own and is an effective elk cartridge out to 250 - 300 yards if the shooters accuracy is capable. I suggest the Hornady 154 gr SP loaded over any of the 4350s, RL19 or H4831SC to 2600 - 2700 fps. Of course the old 175 gr RNSP (If you can find them) loaded to 2300 - 2400 fps over H4831SC will give excellent results on elk out to 200 yards.

I surely do love hunting with cast bullets but we must realize there are some limitations which we should respect, especially when hunting larger game. Hunting elk with a 7x57 loaded with cast bullets would not be my choice.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ammohead View Post
    I love how people are so quick to point out the limitations of certain cartridge/bullet combinations for elk. Yet every year thousands of elk are killed all over the US with archery equipment and muzzleloaders. The best archery hunters practice their skills, limit their shots and hunt to get in close. Yet a hunter equiped with a 7x57 shooting a 166 gr cast boolit 1900 fps is deemed foolish. Some people need to get over themselves. Hunt with your 7x57. Practice your shooting skills. Take only ethical shots and hunt in close. You will be at least as deadly as any archery hunter in the field.
    Annnnndddd, yep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast