RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLoad DataReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anybody reloading for 325 WSM?

Boolit Buddy

Anybody reloading for 325 WSM?

Jesus what an annoying process this has turned out to be. I was looking for a takedown Browning BLR in 300 win or 300 Short mag. Instead I found a decently priced one in 325 WSM, and it came with two boxes of the TSX 180 grain bullets. So I figure, I'll reload; no biggie.

So far I have reloaded for my .44 and 45-70 and I must say, I have been spoiled with the variety and availability of dies. For starters, why on earth most common sets of dies are for just two dies! Would it have killed them to add a crimp die? Heck, a bloody shell holder?!

With the .44 and 45-70 I use a lee powder through expander to facilitate powder loading and of course to facilitate bullet loading. I just noticed for the first time ever that there doesn't seem to be such a beast for necked cartridges. The particular die set i have doesn't seem to do a good job at expanding the case enough for the bullet to set in. I don't know, it could just be me being used to having case expanders on my powder through dies...

And then there is the "crimp" on the bullet seating/crimping die. It seems to have two settings; not crimped and case crushing... Considering the the sizing die does such a fantastic job at not opening the neck that much (or at all), do I need any crimping here? I was planning on getting a factory crimping die.

To summarize; I'm thinking about modifying a 9mm powder through die so I can load these puppies while opening the throat just a smidgen, while also getting a factory crimp die to avoid using the craptastic crimp the bullet seating die is doing. Unless somebody tells me that this is how it is supposed to work and the tight neck obviates the need to crimp...

Also, to anybody thinking about going down this path (Don't do it, wait for a 300 WSM); avoid the ubber expensive 325 brass and resize 300. .308 vs .325, or .017 of an inch... With a bit of lubrication (Ben's red; not just for lubing boolits anymore) the .300 WSM doesnt' even realize they are being resized. Before somebody asks; my necking issues are with both 325 and resized 300.

Boolit Master
    Lee's universal neck expanding die should help if your current die is not working. Using a powder through expander die with this cartridge may be very difficult.

Boolit Man
    are you loading cast in the 325? if your loading J words you don't need to expand the neck. if you are crushing the case when crimping make shure all your cases are trimmed the same. you probably already know all this but just a reminder.