Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Water quenching

Water quenching

First off, I hope I have the correct section. Second, I hope you can assist with info.

I cast some COWW and dropped into a bucket of water. Questions:

1. How long do I leave them in the water?
    2. How long before sizing/lubing?
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

Boolit Buddy
    pull them once they are cold. A week's time will let them harden up good, or at least that's what I do

Quote Originally Posted by evoevil View Post
    pull them once they are cold. A week's time will let them harden up good, or at least that's what I do
    Thanks. This was my first time to try this. I vaguely knew the 7 day time frame but didn't know if they spent the time wet or if they could be removed.
    Calling an illegal immigrant an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist."

I find sizing right away is easier before the harden all the way. Just saying..

Boolit Master
    No need to leave them wet for a week. Drop them in water until they are about the same temp as the water, dry, size, let them sit.

Boolit Buddy
    Hmmm, things I never considered. I cast a couple thousand at a time and drop them into a 5 gallon bucket half full of water. When the casting session is over, the water gets drained off and the bullets poured into a colander. After they are dry I sort out the rejects. They may get loaded in a couple days or several months. Maybe I have been doing it wrong all these years.

Almost the instant they hit the water they are cool.
    You can process them right away.
    They will get measurably harder after sitting a while, then after about a year, they'll settle back to where they started. Why, I have no idea.
    I don't worry about all of that, and make sure my alloy is hard enough to start with.

Boolit Master

I would size the next day just because I wanted to be sure the bullets were dry (no water on sizer was the goal)

once I went to PC there is no need to water quench as the baking process in PC will remove any hardness you get from the water drop

PC will allow you to shoot softer lead because of their 'thin candy coating'

p.s. Happy Aggie Muster Day
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    I would size the next day just because I wanted to be sure the bullets were dry (no water on sizer was the goal)

once I went to PC there is no need to water quench as the baking process in PC will remove any hardness you get from the water drop

PC will allow you to shoot softer lead because of their 'thin candy coating'

p.s. Happy Aggie Muster Day
    I've not had good luck PC'ing rifle boolits. Don't stand up well.

I probably won't get them sized very soon unfortunately.

Double dipped post.-deleted
    Last edited by AggiePharmD; 04-23-2018 at 07:41 AM.

Boolit Master
    My experience is you better size them as soon as possible. I waited too long for some .40 cal. 420 gr. for the .40-65 and broke the handle on the Lyman lubrisizer.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    My experience is you better size them as soon as possible. I waited too long for some .40 cal. 420 gr. for the .40-65 and broke the handle on the Lyman lubrisizer.
    Did the same damage to my Lyman 450 sizing some .416 cal. RCBS 350 gr. Probably something only I do, I add cold water to the pail as the water gets hot from quenching. I remove about the same amout as I add thus keeping the pail fairly cool.Robert