RepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataWidenersReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Needed: suggestion(s) for low/no smoke stick lube

Boolit Buddy

Needed: suggestion(s) for low/no smoke stick lube

Howdy folks-

I’m looking for a suggestion or two for a low smoke stick lube. I’ll be using it in 9mm Luger (147 gr) and .45 ACP (200 gr). I’m currently using White Label BAC which works great but is too smoky for my tastes when used for indoor competitions (IDPA or GSSF).

I would like to stick with using either my Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer. And I do have access to a lube heater.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
    My "Swappin & Sellin" feedback thread: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=btreanor

Banner Sponsor

Hi Bill, I'm sorry about your smoking problem with BAC.
    Send me your address and I can put some samples of Carnauba Red and Carnauba Blue in the mail for you to try if you want.
    Glenn.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    Hi Bill, I'm sorry about your smoking problem with BAC.
    Send me your address and I can put some samples of Carnauba Red and Carnauba Blue in the mail for you to try if you want.
    Glenn.
    While I like your blue lube, I don’t think it’s what he’s looking for. Not sure on red. I use it for 9mm and indoors the smoke is quite noticeable after a few shots. Not saying anything bad about it, again I like it, but any smoke becomes noticeable quick indoors. Outside it’s never been an issue for me, even with the massive lube grooves on the Lee 459-500 3R bullet in my 458 socom. Still smokes, but it dissipates quickly outdoors. Never tried indoors.

Moderator Emeritus

Alox is the "smoky" ingredient in many boolit lubes. You may find that a lube without Alox will be less smoky.
    FYI: I've used BAC and BAC is a great lube, but the A in BAC stands for Alox.

ALSO, some powders burn more smoky than others, and many times it's the combination of powder and lube that make for a real smoky load.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    How does BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube) do for smokiness?

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    How does BLL (Ben's Liquid Lube) do for smokiness?
    tumble lubes with alox are smoky.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I'm also convinced that a little blow by/erosion around the bullet base will make a load super smokey no matter what the lube.

Boolit Buddy
    I've come to the same conclusion.

Boolit Master

tumble lubes with alox are smoky.
    The devil can sometimes be in the details. Alox lubes are generally pretty smokey. That said for my indoor shooting in the winter time the least smokey lube is my Tumble lube swc's coated with mica. I use a very thin coat of alox (pretty much invisible) and dust the bullets with mica to get rid of the stickies. These are less smokey than any of the hard lubes I use and I have no leading problems even in my rifle at 1200 fps. I'm pretty sure it would work with the pistol cartridges mentioned by the OP.

I lube my bullets hot to the touch so the alox coating is very thin. If you can see the amber color of alox on the bullet it will be smokey.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle