WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is 45-45-10

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    mattw,

Set the can of JPW in a pot with about 3/4" of water and very gently warm the JPW to liquid, squirt in the little 4 oz. bottle of Alox, stir, and you're done. Let cool.

No fussing about with cooking things out and squirting things back in. No chance of fire either.

I used it this way for a couple of years exclusively in everything I shot, approaching 1900fps. The only down side that I've found with it is eventually you need to wire brush the residue out after 100-150 rounds or so to keep accuracy at its best.
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-09-2018 at 04:48 PM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I made up a can full a while back, just as Hanish described above. This stuff works great! So far I've been using it on 38, 357, 45 acp, 30-30 and 7.62 x 54R. Fastest I've driven it is 1500 fps in the 30-30 but I'm still working up the load. One coat up to 1000 fps, 2 coats for higher velocity. I put about 100 boolits in a zip-lock plastic bag and add about a half teaspoon of lube, mix it around in my hands for a couple minutes and dump it out on a sheet of waxed paper to dry. Dries in about 24 hours. It doesn't get easier than this! Thanks Hamish!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    As I've been using Carnauba Red for everything I didn't know Glen had the stuff ready made. I'm not one to fool with cooking stuff that I cannot eat. As of late I've just been using a coat of JPW, sizing and putting a check on my 30 cal boolits, and putting another coat of JPW. So far no problems, but I may have to get a bottle to try. I just don't like LLA.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

I do not like the smell of burning LLA, even outside. But, have been testing some bullets in a CZ70 and some of them have come in with some form of LLA, either straight or in a mix and at these velocities and small powder charges I like it. I have never even considered going that route before, but now I am going to try it.

Boolit Master

It's simple enough to do; I used an electric hotplate with the heat set at medium-low. It doesn't take much heat to melt the JPW. Opened the can and put right on the hotplate. Once it's liquid I added a full bottle of Lee Alox and stirred it in and shut off the heat. When cool to the touch I popped the lid back on and put it away.

WARNING JPW is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Do this OUTDOORS - Not inside any kind of structure! Use electric heat, NOT an open flame!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    It's simple enough to do; I used an electric hotplate with the heat set at medium-low. It doesn't take much heat to melt the JPW. Opened the can and put right on the hotplate. Once it's liquid I added a full bottle of Lee Alox and stirred it in and shut off the heat. When cool to the touch I popped the lid back on and put it away.

WARNING JPW is EXTREMELY FLAMMABLE! Do this OUTDOORS - Not inside any kind of structure! Use electric heat, NOT an open flame!
    So does this stay in a semi liquid form or turn back into a paste?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    So does this stay in a semi liquid form or turn back into a paste?
    Both the 45/45/10 I make & the lube I have purchased from Lars turns to paste when cooler & over time. Simply reheating in a microwave for a minute usually brings it back, but sometimes I add just a bit of mineral spirits to replace what may have evaporated, or what ever happens to it when it goes away to bring it back to usable condition. I just shake it well & apply.

It really is pretty good stuff for all the uses I have for it.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12