WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2

Thread: Boolit choice (length/design)for 50 cal Green Mountain 1-28 twist

Boolit Master

Boolit choice (length/design)for 50 cal Green Mountain 1-28 twist

I have a drop in GM 50 cal 1-28 barrel for my TC Renegade and so far my best long range shooting happens with a Lyman 395 grain Plains /S+W 501 but would like to try other styles /lengths/ paper patched or ?

Boolit Master
    Look at Ron's sticky above for paper patching.

For 50 cal that Lee .500 bullet is hard to beat, and there is an Accurate mould made slightly smaller for PP. The both have big meplat for max hole cutting on game.

For that twist I would stay at 500gn or below. BUT, you need enough powder to expand the bullet to engage the rifling. For me that has meant 80gn or more of powder, which gets you above 1200fps, which is supersonic at the muzzle. From what I can tell that subsonic load is what will limit you on bullets.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Look at Ron's sticky above for paper patching.

For 50 cal that Lee .500 bullet is hard to beat, and there is an Accurate mould made slightly smaller for PP. The both have big meplat for max hole cutting on game.

For that twist I would stay at 500gn or below. BUT, you need enough powder to expand the bullet to engage the rifling. For me that has meant 80gn or more of powder, which gets you above 1200fps, which is supersonic at the muzzle. From what I can tell that subsonic load is what will limit you on bullets.
    I know what you mean as I cast for my C Sharps using Postells /Baco 443 Ellipticals 530 gr P.P. but that"s a 34inch Badger 1-18 twist , I guess my question is how long /heavy can I go with the 1-28 twist ? I as stated have cast /shot a bunch of P.P. Lees 501 s as I follow a lot of Ron"s posts and they work great ,just looking to expand my boolit selection for long range target not hunting . Thanks for the reply /Ed

Edward,
    My suggestion would be to try a medium weight 45-70 mold with the barrel contact length machined out to be a slick sided boolit for paper patching. You can get one for a fairly low price on occasion, then machining could be had for not very much if you shop around.
    That way you get the diameter you want, the length you want, the nose shape you want. It would let you finagle the barrel contact length versus weight to effect on your trajectory, wide or streamlined nose for whatever is desired.

Boolit Master
    For size of bullet vs stability I use this calculator. It takes into account all the variables associated with pushing stability limits.

http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmstab-5.1.cgi

For my rifle I find the 450gn bullets (1/32 twist, 1" long bullet) are best for the various atmospheric conditions I shoot in. 500gn works for some conditions.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a bunch of White bullets made by Doc White, they shoot great .501 460gr. Been looking for a mold close to them

Boolit Master
    Is it like this one?

Accurate Arms 50-455P

I've thought about trying it, or the same design in 400gn.

Last edited by charlie b; 04-24-2018 at 07:58 PM.