RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Favorite bullet for 375h&h?

Boolit Buddy

Favorite bullet for 375h&h?

I've been out of cast bullets a few years but I'm going to get back into it. I'm getting my pistol permit soon and will be getting a 44 Magnum which I plan on shooting exclusively with cast bullets. This has got me thinking about my 375 and cast bullets. I've got a Ruger #1 currently. I kill deer with it and have been trying for black bear with no luck yet. What mold would you guys recommend? What kind of velocities are achievable with the 375 and cast loads. Obviously will be going with gas checks. Thanks
    I'm bigger than you, I'm higher on the food chain! Get in my belly!

Boolit Master
    I have a Ruger #1H Tropical, .375.
    I tried the Lyman # 375449. Best I could get was about 2200-2400 velocity before the group opened up.
    Cast rifle bullets favor slow twist for speed & velocity at the same time. That is a fast twist rifle.
    I been looking for a heavy cast bullet for that myself, and there isnt much out there.
    for that fast twist, I feel like a heavy bullet is needed for anything even close to a full house load.
    If you want to shoot the #375449 then slow it down to about 2200 and enjoy it.

In Remembrance

My old model 70 Winchester (circa 1958) shoots the Lyman #375449 with #2 quenched alloy just fine at the 2000 fps range +/-. With that size and weight boolet and used at sensible ranges, why is there a need for more vel.?Robert

Boolit Grand Master

In my M70 three six bits with a 12" twist I also use the Lyman 357449. Cast of COWWs + 2% tin and then WQ'd I push it at 2300 fps for heavy practice rounds. It will hold 2 moa or less. A pleasant load at 2150 fps is a lot of fun.

For hunting I cut the alloy 50/50 with lead and AC the bullets. I also push those at 2150 fps for excellent accuracy and terminal performance to 200 yards. The barrel is cleaned every 8 - 10 shots to maintain excellent accuracy with that softer alloy.

I use 4895 powder with a Dacron filler with the above.

I have been using 375 RBs (Hornady) lightly lubed with LLA loaded over 4 gr Bullseye for 900 fps as a small game load. However, I've been working on a soft cast 375248 over bullseye in the 1100 to 1200 fps range for small game also as it gives excellent accuracy to a much farther range. No filler is used with either of these loads.

Last year or so I did a test of Turk '43 and WCC860 Duplex loads. You might "search" and find it. Proved interesting.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 04-22-2018 at 03:09 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

The Lyman 375296 hollow pointed has always been my "go to" design for the .375 H & H./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    RCBS 37-250-FN and Lyman 378674 paper patched along with round balls are what I feed mine. I was shooting the 335 grain Lyman today over a load of WC 860 at about 2280 ft/ sec and it didn't take long to enjoy all of that I wanted.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe NOE makes a 310 ish grain mould that you could use in the ouch and ouch. mine is the BRP version that I use over 4759 and a mag primer. Runs about 2100fps and will do about 1.5" all day long. I size to .379". Shoot them out of a #1. I have the 278 gr NOE mould, but haven't tried it yet.

Boolit Master

I have the 335gr mold from Accurate Molds that I'm playing with currently.

Boolit Master
    Lyman 375449, air cooled WW, alox lube, sized .378, 26 gr 4759 with a pea sized amount of dacron filler, Lee collet neck sized cases. 1625 fps from a 1983 vintage Rem 700 Safari Grade 375 H&H. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot. I believe the Remington has a 1-12 twist also.

Boolit Master
    I’m very happy shooting NOE’s 275gr boolit thru my Whitworth.375 H&H. It’s a peepsight only rifle but I get sub-2” 100 yard groups.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...srsnh6tf4v8h66