Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: which 38 super brass

Boolit Bub

which 38 super brass

Have 1948 vintage 1911 in 38 super with non-ramped kart barrel. Gonna start reloading for it soon, and was wondering which brass to use. I've decided on Starline brass, but don't know weather to use +P or Super Comp. I presume they both headspace on the case mouth. I've read where some extractor work might be needed with the super comp. Does this work need to be done by a gunsmith or can it be done by self. Thanks in advance...Bill

Boolit Master
    I run .38auto and 38 super +P in my 1911s. I wouldn’t give away the .38auto because I’m not sure someone wouldn’t load it as +P, but I’ve been known to give away some +P to folks that are trying to decide. Only issue is that I don’t think I have any that isn’t loaded at the moment, but I’ll shoot and clean some this coming week. Send me a PM if you want a couple dozen to try.

Boolit Master

Whether the case heads spaces on the case mouth is determined by the barrel. My guess that a kart barrel does,as head spacing on the semi rim was a problem with the .38 Super. II RCBS the super company brass does not have the semi rim.

Boolit Master

I hate the check spell from my last answer. The .38 Super comp. does not have the semi rim and has a smaller rim .406 vs. .374 for the super comp. Your breechface would be cut for the larger .38 Super plus P Your extractor would be set up for a rim diameter of .406 but if you used SC brass it would be .016 smaller.I would use the +P brass and avoid the issues. The SC and +P brass is the same strength from Starline.

I've got a mixture of super, super comp, and 38TJ brass and my gun will run with all of it, but I stick with the Super for the most part.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks to all. Decided to go with the +P.