RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Lee 452-230 TC COAL & load development

Boolit Buddy

Lee 452-230 TC COAL & load development

Good evening,
    I am beginning to work up some ladder loads for my first 45acp 1911. I am working with HP38/win231, unique, and PB for now behind the Lee 452-230 TC wrapped in PC. The COAL I have found lists 1.270 for a 230gr lead projectile, but I suspect that is for a RN design because the TC is a bit too broad at the tip to load into a magazine. 1.250 fits the mag and will plunk. Is that similar to your experience with this design?

Bevan

I have to load those with just a few thousandths(20-30) of the front drive band showing in front of the case. I don't have an OAL for you since I am nowhere near my loading bench at the moment.
    With the PC coating it might well change the OAL a bit anyway since I don't PC. IF it plunks in your barrel, shoot it.

Boolit Grand Master

1.25” COAL and 5.1-5.3gr 231 has been my go to for years in either a RN or TC configuration.

1.170 Is COAL according to the lyman cast bullet handbook 4th. I Load to this, and they run without a hitch in my Springfield Milspec. My buddy runs some through is Remington R1 and didnt have a problem. They wont chamber loaded any longer for me.

Boolit Master
    I have a pile of those bullets in a surplus ammo can, as well as brass. They shot really well from the two 1911' s that I had.. and traded like an idiot.....

Old age and brain farts.......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Banned
    You gotta seat them deep for some guns, just where the bevel starts. depends on the gun [like everything else ]

Boolit Buddy
    I have to seat them to 1.165.

I coat this bullet with Hitek, and load it to 1.200". It runs and feeds great through a Glock 30 and several 1911 pistols.
    Last edited by wrench; 04-21-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    1.17 is the COAL like Bazoo mentioned. And like Grmps mentioned, that OAL will put the boolit right at the start of the angle/bevel/slant where it goes from .452 from the mouth of the case & starts to rise & angle up to the flat cone top.

If ya do any COAL adjustment, keep in mind that going into the case deeper is more pressure & if you have a chronograph, you should use it to keep an eye on that. Keep loads in mind as you start to approach the MAX powder load if ya go that high and compare to listed velocity/pressure in the manual & I would suggest to stay below it.

As well, moving the boolit out to increase the COAL should reduce pressures & give ya a bit of leeway ( & mental comfort) as far as approaching MAX. listed load/pressures.

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Buddy

Thanks to all for your quick ( and qualified) guidance. I seldom approach max loads even in my ladder work up. I do chrony my ladders as well and do a larger data sample once I establish a pet load so I have a good reference to compare batches of powder.

Also, I had not put any thought into the feed angle. Thanks for bringing it into the discussion.

Have a great weekend. Bevan