MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 38 spl "FBI load"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    What kind of primers are you using? Primer brand can make a huge difference in this cartridge.
    Powder used will determine the primer to use. I have developed the FBI Load using 3 different powders: Unique, AA#5, and HS-6. HS-6 pretty much requires a magnum primer, the other 2 not.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    FBI Load threads are always my favorite. Casting and loading my homemade FBI Load is also my favorite part of reloading.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds good. I am trying to switch all my Bullseye .38 Special loads over to Hodgdon powders as they are alot less sensitive to primer brand. Bullseye and Federal primers are a great combination but I lost hope a long time ago of ever having a regular supply of the latter again.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Banned
    I've loaded a bazillon 38 Special rounds (maybe 1.5 bazillon ) and for many years, ww231 [AKA HP-38] was my powder of choice. That selection of powder was influenced in my early reloading days by the greater local availability of ww231. I had other powders on the shelf in those early days, including Bullseye but 231 was my "go-to" 38 Special powder for decades.
    The 38 Special casing is relatively large and there are a lot of powders that can be made to work in that casing, some better than others. During the powder shortage I went looking for alternatives to ww231; I think a lot of us did that. When the shortage was over, I decided to replace 231 with Bullseye as my "go-to" 38 Special powder for standard loads and I'm happy to return to the old stand-by of Bullseye. However, for +P loadings in the "FBI Load" range, there are some other choices.

For the +P loadings with 158-160 grain cast bullets, CFE Pistol works well. Tazman helped me with that powder (thanks!) and as a bonus, CFE Pistol meters well. CFE didn't exist back when I was doing my short barrel revolver load testing, so I can't vouch for the measured velocity claims but others have verified Hodgdon's data in longer barrels.

WW231 still stands out as a good powder at +P velocities in the 38 Special and there lots of other powders that will get the job done in that big 38 casing. If you're trying to squeeze as much velocity as possible out of your duplicate short barrel "FBI Load" - AA#5 worked well for me as did Unique. I don't trust Unique in an automated powder measure on a progressive press when I'm operating near maximum charge weights, so Unique was reserved for other projects.

It has been said many times before and it is still true, the 38 Special is a GREAT cartridge.

+1 to everything you said. Accurate #5 is a great powder for strong .38's and meters superbly. All my loads are in the low 800's nowadys so Bullseye works just fine.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Bullseye will work at +P velocities if you stick to pressure tested loads in the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, 4th Edition (2010) on p.256 and pay attention to overall cartridge length. 160-grain #358311 at 1.55" OAL 4.1 grains of Bullseye 936 fps @ 18,300cup in 4" vented test barrel.

Also 155- grain #358156 at 1.46" OAL, 4.4 grs. Bullseye for 915 fps @ 18,100 cup.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I often wonder about the pressure readings in the Lyman manual. For boolits in the 150-162 grain range, maximum charges are all over the place. I wonder if some of the data is alot older, from back when Bullseye was really fast.

Boolit Master

I wonder if some of the data is alot older, from back when Bullseye was really fast. ...
    Bullseye hasn't changed a bit. A fellow gave me a number of cans a few years back with some from every decade going back to the 50's. I loaded and chrono'd the same load from every can and results were identical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P9210340.JPG  
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    Bullseye hasn't changed a bit. A fellow gave me a number of cans a few years back with some from every decade going back to the 50's. I loaded and chrono'd the same load from every can and results were identical.
    Agreed.. and if I am not mistaken, the loads quoted in post #166 are only about 1K over standard pressure. If run up to ACTUAL +P pressures, I bet they are a bit speedier. My "FBI" loads use Bullseye, and are indeed speedier, but have not been pressure tested.

Boolit Master
    OP here, wow you guys know how to keep a thread alive !

Tested a load last weekend, 6.5g HS-6 (6.7 max), 150g dead soft swc hp - powder coated, plain base gas check and lubed when sized (.358).
    We got 870 - 890 f/s out of the Detective Special.
    I can live with that.
    Daughter had some Pachmyer Compac's on it, so very nice to shoot.

I'm remembering powder coating has very low friction, maybe a factor in getting pretty close to my goal with not a max load ?

Lotta good info and history in the back pages, keep it coming !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Bagged an elusive quarry today. First time I've seen it in the wild for three years:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	219892
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Bagged an elusive quarry today. First time I've seen it in the wild for three years:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	219892
    That is fake... I have seen that same backdrop on Pics from Area 51. <wink>

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What did you use to bag it? What bait, what sort of trap or weapon?

Boolit Grand Master
    The loads quoted in post 166 are expressed in copper units, and do not directly translate to psi, so the assumption that there is “leeway”to increase them may very likely be unfounded.

Quote Originally Posted by Livin_cincy View Post
    That is fake... I have seen that same backdrop on Pics from Area 51. <wink>
    I have scheduled you for a visit with the Men in Black...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    What did you use to bag it? What bait, what sort of trap or weapon?
    Sportman's Warehouse in Lexington is the only habitat of this creature that I am aware of. I saw boxes of Federal primers on the shelf but I couldn't tell what kind they were. I feigned interest in the powder selection to get close enough to see what types were there. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me when I saw "small pistol primers". I actually read it a few times to make sure it was correct. Then, I tucked it under my arm and hightailed to the check out lane like I had just caught an interception to win the Super Bowl.

Boolit Master
    Note: Do not use Bullseye if you want a good FBI Load. You will reach the +P pressure limit well before you get to a decent velocity (900fps from a snubbie). Use a powder in the burn rate range of AA#5 and HS-6. Just MHO.

Don
    NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
    NRA Life Member

The late model FBI loads have a published velocity of 850 fps from a 4" barrel. 3.8 grains Bullseye will get you there and is listed as a strong standard pressure load in my Lyman manual. Now 900 fps in a snub should translate to 1000 out of a 4" so yeah, Bullseye is not going to work there.

Boolit Grand Master
    Since the FBI load does not get you anywhere near 900 fps from short barrels, but rather nearer 800 fps, the truth of the matter is Bullseye is still capable of duplicating what the FBI load does from any length barrel.

Will Bullseye make an “FBI”equivalent load? Absolutely. Suggestions it cannot are incorrect. It will make equivalent velocity within +P pressure limits.

Yes, exactly. I have always found that it is no problem to roll your own FBI loads that duplicate the performance of factory while staying within the standard pressure zone.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast