MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lyman 1878?

Boolit Buddy

lyman 1878?

I am still looking for a single shot 45/70 and came across a Lyman 1878 that looks nice. It says made by Pedersoli to Lyman's specs. Is it comparable to a standard Pedersoli? Looks nice and price is right but how does it stand up? Has a Vernier sight but does not look like a quality piece. Any ideas?

Banned

it's their version of the 1877 sharps. it should be a very good gun. what will matter most is the price tag and what will be its primary use.

two hickok45 review videos ...

Boolit Master
    Its a nice looking rifle but for that kinda money you could get a Shiloh. Also the rear sight might not do what you want it to compared to an MVA. The Lyman sights don't have windage adjustment. Have you looked at any of the Pedersoli's that Cabela's has listed ? The Lyman does have the features you would want though, the shotgun butt,pistol grip,30" barrel,set triggers, and a limited tang sight. Can you get the Lyman locally cheaper than its suggested retail? Take a look at the Pedersoli sharps hunters rifle at Cabelas its 1100.00 for that much price difference you could trick it out with a Lee Shaver spirit globe front sight and a MVA sharps mid range tang sight and have a lot of money left over. Mike Venturino is right once the sharps bug bites you having just one won't cut it. Heck there is a shop a little ways from me that has a Shiloh montana rough rider in .40-65 for sale thats got a kelly soule sight on it plus dies,mold,sizer,& 200 pcs of brass for 2399.00. When in the rare occurrence that a Pedersoli turns up on the used rack its about 1000.00 to 1200.00 depending on the shop.
    Last edited by 1Hawkeye; 04-20-2018 at 05:45 PM. Reason: more info

Banned

to say that one can purchase a shiloh sharps at the cost of a lyman 1877/1878 means nothing until the actual dollar numbers are presented. i suspect the op is talking about a used one, which will command far less that even a used shiloh.

Boolit Buddy
    I have connections and think I could get it for $1600 out the door. After watching the videos by hickok45 I think it would be better to go with a Pedersoli and equip it with sights that are more to my liking. I'm also watching Cabelas to see if they have something on sale this summer or fall. One will come along and I'll keep putting more money aside and when it shows up I'll get it.

Banned

what will be the prime use of the rifle? that will define what accoutrements yer gonna need, and how much more money you'll need to complete the gun ready for shooting.

for example, my last pedi sharps is the silhouette in .40-65 and i'll use it for targets and dingers. so besides the 1.2k price paid, plus shipping, i added in a lee shaver super grade sight set with vernier soule tang and hadley eyecup and front spirit globe for an added $500+. then a few spare firing pins that i can refit with music wire when they break, and they will. if yer playing the reasonably serious target game, you'll build yer own cartridges, so add in dies, brass, primers, and maybe at the start buy some greased bullets so to keep the cost down a bit, but you will need a Good mould and lead alloy and some method of greasing the bullets. in my case, i paper patch, which adds another layer of both understanding, components, and commitment. there will be more, as all of what's just mentioned is the tip of this iceberg.

Boolit Master
    Very true, its been my experience that there are two kinds of people selling used sharps rifles. Regardless of the manufacturer type A seller sells his rifle for a realistic price while type B is a joker who thinks he's gonna get new gun retail or higher for his rifle. This is a hunt where patients pays off in money saved and sometimes timing is everything. Just because I got very lucky and my first Shiloh (used) cost the same as my first Pedersoli (new) was total luck and exceptional timing. There are deals to be had out there but ya gotta know what your looking for and what the market is when your out beating the bushes or you could wind up with a IAB you paid 1200.00 bucks for. The Lyman 762 is referring to is a nice looking rifle but if your comparing new Lyman to new Pedersoli sharps hunter I would go with the hunter model as for the Shiloh yes they are 2000.00 plus for a new entry level rifle but you don't need a caddie when a chevy does the same thing.

Banned

yep, lots to consider, including one's patience at waiting either to spot and nab a good used pedi or shiloh or c-sharps or cpa or whatever ... or waiting 19+ months for that custom shiloh. money and time, time and money ....

Boolit Master
    762, ya got the right idea don't worry rfd and I won't let you make any mistakes.

Boolit Grand Master

Define the desired uses of the rifle, Hunting, Shiloettes, Long Range target, plinking or other uses. This will help define the rifle set-up you want. Pedersoli has several versions available. Up grading the sights is a big plus the double set trigger may also be desirable. Barrel length and contour can really affect weight and balance. The 45-70 is a very versatile cartridge and fairly easy to work with. It responds well to mostly standard techniques.

I have a 1874 Pedersoli Cabellas Long Range model ( this was my first foray into BPCR rifles) Its a great shooting rifle, Mine has the pedersoli long range soule rear and wind gage front globe on it now. I also had it drilled and tapped for my MVA Malcomb Scopes. It wears a 34" half round barrel 1-18 twist. Decent walnut fit and finish. It is about 6 ounces over weight for sanctioned NRA shillouette matches.

It performs well with most bullets from 480-550 grns, it really likes the 535 postel from lyman. It also does very well with the PP at around 520 grns from Brooks. I load true Black Powder olde ensford or swiss does best for me. Its a nice rifle easy to work with. I did have a mainspring break a few years ago. The rifle is close to 25years old now.

I can't add much to the good advice given, but I will say that I don't mind paying a little extra for a nicer looking rifle. That may be better grade of stocks, or better fit and finish. Regardless, I just feel better looking at a nice quality gun when I'm shooting, hunting, or just admiring it at home.
    Given some time, I think you'll locate the perfect gun, in the right caliber, and at a decent price.

Boolit Buddy
    It's comforting to know that there are shooters with your collective experience and knowledge who are willing to share with a novice like me. I have reloaded for a number of years and have cast bullets for about the same amount of time. I'm comfortable in making ammo for it and have several hundred Starline 45/70 cases along with 5744, 3031, and 4198 among others. Just need something to shoot them in. I'm in no hurry and don't expect to buy a gun until late summer or fall. But I will be looking daily, as one could show up out of the blue. I have narrowed it down to a Pedersoli of one model or the other. I really want an octagon barrel and not all have that...also want something that I can up-grade the sights. That's why I'm saving some money to fund this project.

Boolit Grand Master

Another thing is to look at the C Sharps line with out the bells and whistles they arnt far from the pedersoli and a sight upgrade. Though all of mine have been 8-10 weeks wait from when ordered. A 1874 Csharps with spirit front globe and mid range soule rear is around $2000 maybe a little under. Not sure what the pedersolis are bringing now but the rifle and a good rear and front globe upgrade isn't goingn to be far off. MVA long range soule is around $450+ the spirit front globe is around $150. The mva wind age front globe is over $300.

Ordering the C Sharps with just what you want is a one time cost

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Country, did you mean the 1875 from CSA?
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Grand Master

Could be but staying away from wood upgrades and the "fancy upgrades" saves a lot of cost. Just opting for checkering is over $300.00. Not saying that's out of line for the work involved but its "extra"

Here's the 1875's a real good bargain http://csharpsarms.com/catalog-categ...es.html?page=0

Banned

for the .45-70 cartridge ....

the c.sharps appears to be a low price with good value until you realize what's missing - double set triggers and pistol grip, just to name two items i'd consider important for a target rifle, not a hunting gun. with that in mind, that $1475 1875 model now becomes $1730. although in reasonable comparison, that's a good $265 lower than a '74 shiloh #1 sportster, and $555 more than a '74 pedersoli (albeit it has a straight grip - the better pistol grip heavy barrel silhouette rifle will be $530 more, but it'll be a .40-65). that's just the beginning of yer dollars outlay, too.

reality check .... it'll be a hard row to hoe to get into the reasonably competitive bpcr/bptr game with lots less than two grand in yer wallet. good luck in finding a good, new .45-70 sharps - just the rifle alone, that will be competitive in the target game - for less than $1175, new. used, GOOD used that doesn't need "help"? that's another totally diff'rent story that might be like trying to finding a needle in a hay stack. i sure hope you can find one!

Well that's where first hand experience comes in. The 75 even if a person doesn't opt for the single set trigger, works quite well for all manner of target shooting , and if so equipped with barrel sights makes a fine hunting rifle as well.
    Not to mention the ability for one to stick with American craftsmanship and pride , and still maintain a tight budget.

Boolit Grand Master

When you start adding the extras to the semi custom guns the prices start jumping quick. checkering, forend tips, special finishes, special barrels, wood upgrades ( going from standard to exhibition grade walnut can add a lot ). But the big plus is you can get the rifle you want Just how you want it, with no need to add extras after the purchase.

I personally would steer clear of the CSA 1875 model. They aren't a bad gun at all, but they seem to have very little following or interest. The 1874 Model Sharps is a much better choice and will hold it's value much better. Not that you're going to ever sell whatever you buy, but it's worth considering when you look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast