Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Ideas on how to fix a wobbly front sight

Boolit Buddy

Ideas on how to fix a wobbly front sight

I have a No. 4 Enfield that I have converted into a No.5 Jungle Carbine. I noticed the front sight/flash hider combination has a lot of side-to-side wobble, probably as much as 1/8" either way. It's held in place by two roll pins right now. Does anybody have any tricks to lock this down?

Boolit Grand Master

Try a new set of roll pins. Sometimes thru rough handling bumps and drops they collapse a little allowing for movement. Other wise it can get involved to fis if its the holes themselves. Then the easiest way is to drive one pin out and open hole to next size roll pin or solid pin press ( if room is critical sacrifice a drill in the same size and use the shank for pins) in that pin and drive out second pin ream and re pin. You need to make sure the holes are completely cleaned up.

The NM blocks on M1A/M14s and the original gas block front sight on ARs used taper pins to hold. on the wide blocks a lot of builders used 2 pins and put 1 in from each side so they tightened better. If you could find the pins and reamer this would work well also.

Boolit Master
    I believe the flash hiders on the #5 are also soldered as well as being pinned in place. if you want a permanent rock solid installation maybe JB weld with the pins. Some of the Indonesian Dutch rifle or carbines when converted from the 6.5 Dutch caliber to 303 British had the flash hider/muzzle break also had them soldered in place with two pins. Buddy had one and after punching out the pins used a mapp gas torch to liquify the solder before removal. Then again I could be wrong regarding the solder part with the #5 carbine. Frank

Boolit Master

All the no5 I have seen the front sight flash hider assembly was pined and soldered. I would ream out the holes with a proper size taper pin reamer and install taper pins cut to the right lenght.
    Be well
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for the help, guys