Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Protect yourself

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va

Protect yourself

Went to range yesterday and was shooting a cz50 32acp when i felt my face get sprayed with something and gun jammed . Popped off the slide and noticed the bullet had not left the chamber much less the barrel. The casing haf the back halh on one side blown away pretty much a big hole in the casing right in front of the rim. This was only the second time this brass had been fired. Once as came from factory and this reload . Was using 2.1 grains of red dot a 77 grain slug cast from rcbs mold and standard cci primer. overall length was .950 brass was fiocchi. The only thing i can come up with is some how the gun fired before shell was fully seated as the bullet went only left the case and no further. Just glad i had my safty glasses on . When younger chances are i would not have had them.

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, glad you were not hurt. Hopefully you can determine what happened and why?

Boolit Master
    Glad you are ok. Eyes and ears. I even wear eyes in the field hunting when I can.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Buddy

Lucky dog. Safety first.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Ack! Glad you were not seriously hurt.

Any idea of the cause yet? Protruding primers can cause that, I don't know the CZ50's action so I can't suggest more yet. Saw a guy with a messed up firing pin where it was stuck protruding out of the breech face & causing slam fires once.

Boolit Master
    Glad you're okay, Red Bear! This stresses the importance of PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) when shooting - or doing nearly any kind of work. I wear safety glasses when handling anything more dangerous than a piece of paper, myself.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    I recently got a Mauser 1914 .32 acp - I know, different gun - but what concerns me about my gun is that the mag sometimes drops slightly. I've wondered what would happen if a round fired that was not properly chambered due to the mag dropping.
    Also, I've put off reloading for this gun because the fired brass gets beat up when ejected. I don't know if I trust the strength of the fired brass.
    Either one a possibility with your mishap?

Moderator Emeritus

My glasses are safety lenses... I work on to much stuff that can fly back in my face. So I always have the eyes covered. I HAVE fired the pistol a couple of times without hearing protection... ears rang for hours.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I'm more a maniac on EarPro than EyePro, almost; Family member was about 98% deaf and wouldn't learn ASL - they just assumed whatever they heard, was what you'd said, so you ask for them to pass the salt & they curse you for calling them bad names etc. etc. - That gets old in a hurry. But being blind in one or both eyes would be bad TOO, no depth perception or no vision, ack. So both are good things; And I don't think any of us need our faces defaced by shrapnel either, that wouldn't improve anyone's day!

Boolit Master
    I learned ASL back when the babysitter was deaf. Arthritis doesn't help anything anymore. I keep at least two sets of earmuffs in the car at all times, maybe three.... my glasses are safety glasses, too.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

still not sure what really happened but thanks for all the well wishes . didn't learn my lesson with hearing in time. between work and the range my hearing is shot. quite a few years ago a 44mag with 2 inch barrel tought me a lesson about ear muffs. still stumped on what happened. it dosent look like the gun could fire untill the shell goes all the way into the chamber. primmers i always go over and double check after a worn out primming tool left me at the range having to pull the trigger several times before the roung would fire. that cut that trip very short one shot.

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar
    Don't ever shoot a 30/06 out of the window of your truck . I offer that from personal experience .
    No turning back , No turning back !

you know even though primers were double checked it is possible i missed one can't figure anything else out. as i get older have developed the unique skill of looking right at something anf still not seeing it.