RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackboxReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered two Compass Rifles

Boolit Grand Master

Just ordered two Compass Rifles

Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore has the Thompson Compass in .308 for $275 with free shipping. Ordered two...one for me and one for my son. After the $75 rebate, and FFL transfer, the cost to my door will be $212.50 each.

From the reviews, they seem to be an accurate weapon. The gun comes with an adjustable trigger, scope bases and a threaded barrel. What's not to like? The stock is chintzy so I may add an aluminum U section to the fore end to add rigidity. Boyd is making an laminated stock for them so that is another option...but I like the idea of keeping it cheap so I do not fret about banging it up when hunting. I have "pretty" guns but this will be a tool.

Thanks to those who posted on my other thread about getting a .308 hunting rifle. I like high end guns but the more I thought about it, the more sense something like this makes. Not sure what I will do with the M70 Coyote I have if the Compass shoots decently.

BTW, I nearly purchased three!!! Thought about having one done up in .358 by JES as I always wanted an affordable .358.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Great deal! I have the Venture in .223 and it's as accurate as anyone could ask for at the price point. Congrats!
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Scratch the adjustable triggers they are still advertising as the triggers are quite stiff now and requires a spring change to get it there. There is a company selling a spring kit that supposedly works well but I went down and looked through my collection of springs for automatic transmissions and came up with a combo that has my 308 where I want it. Also I believe the $75 rebate is for the ones with a scope package which I went for with KGC and even got a free muzzle break that I likely will not leave on it. Rebate was very fast and I am very pleased with the rifle. Working on cast loads for it now if I can ever get a break to head for the range.

Boolit Master
    Nice deal. The rebates sure make them attractively priced too. I like mine, but I got it in 6.5 Creedmoor though.

Boolit Master

The $75 rebate applies to a rifle without the scope. Mine too about two weeks to get here.

When you slug the bore, look closely at the grooves. Pretty wild.

Does anyone know how TC is attaching the barrels to the actions? Screwed on? Or what?

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Cat,
    The barrel is a 5 groove so it will take some math to measure bore diameter. But neither of these rifles will likely see cast bullets. I use the 165 gr Gameking for hunting and if that bullet does not yield the accuracy I want, I will find another that does.

If I was going to shoot cast bullets, I would start with .310 cast bullets and not bother slugging the barrel. Normally in a .308, the sweet spot is .309 to .311....with a five groove barrel it may be different.
    Don Verna

Get another one to send to JES. You will be amazed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Cat,
    The barrel is a 5 groove so it will take some math to measure bore diameter. But neither of these rifles will likely see cast bullets. I use the 165 gr Gameking for hunting and if that bullet does not yield the accuracy I want, I will find another that does.

If I was going to shoot cast bullets, I would start with .310 cast bullets and not bother slugging the barrel. Normally in a .308, the sweet spot is .309 to .311....with a five groove barrel it may be different.
    Why would a five groove be any different? They drill the hole, ream it and hone it and that's your bore. So it would have the same bore as 4/6/etc groove barrels. Micro Groove is slightly different.

All you need is a V block to use with you mic that you make that I've described how to else in this forum to measure 5 groove.

Be aware the Compass 308 does indeed have a 308 chamber, but not the throat. I have one and the throat is honking long!!!! I too shot match jacketed out of mine and there was no way to get the bullet close to the leade.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Catshooter View Post
    The $75 rebate applies to a rifle without the scope. Mine too about two weeks to get here.

When you slug the bore, look closely at the grooves. Pretty wild.

Does anyone know how TC is attaching the barrels to the actions? Screwed on? Or what?

Cat
    Yeah, I am quite curious as to whether the barrel is threaded onto the action and or pinned or something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Earlwb View Post
    Yeah, I am quite curious as to whether the barrel is threaded onto the action and or pinned or something.
    They aren't pinned!!!

CDNN has them in .243 or 7mm RM for $199- I should snag a .243 for my grandson. The rebate makes it even more unbelievable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    TbyG

Be careful as sometimes the CDNN price has the rebate already deducted. I nearly fell for that.

At the price these are going for, I cannot see the point of buying a mil-surp to get a "cheap" rifle. Especially if someone wants to mount a scope.

I will give a report on mine once I get some rounds downrange but it will be a while as we still have snow on the ground.
    Don Verna

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    CDNN has them in .243 or 7mm RM for $199- I should snag a .243 for my grandson. The rebate makes it even more unbelievable.

You should go ahead and get that 243 Thomas before their good deals expire. When I got my 308 they only had the one synthetic stock and that was the only thing I could fault on the rifle. It's flimsy, so I replaced it with a Boyd's laminated stock and glass bedded it. The finish on the rifle is very good. It's a satin bluing and they even come with scope bases. The magazine is a Mannlicher rotary type. I feel that the Compass is truly an economy rifle is the sense that it's much cheaper then the other manufacturers so called economy rifles.

Dverna- thanks! The fine print. But still a good deal. Is that honey stick bolt knob removable?

Boolit Master
    I paid about $215 for my 6.5 Creedmoor after rebate/shipping/transfer. Hard to beat that for an accurate rifle, and it is as accurate as I am. I'm not a fan of plastic stocks but heck $215!. The chrome safety and bolt release along with that tacky bolt knob really bug me however.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Dverna- thanks! The fine print. But still a good deal. Is that honey stick bolt knob removable?

Thomas the bolt knob is not removable.

Yeah I have one in 308 and 30-06 I got them for $169 shipped to the door. My 308 shoots amazing, like I said earlier this is a 15 round group with my 308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C63C7DB0-54A6-44B4-8471-7DA89CF8DDE5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	219432

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by 43PU View Post
    Yeah I have one in 308 and 30-06 I got them for $169 shipped to the door. My 308 shoots amazing, like I said earlier this is a 15 round group with my 308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C63C7DB0-54A6-44B4-8471-7DA89CF8DDE5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	219432
    That's pretty darn good!!!

Boolit Master

Five groove (or any odd number) land barrels are easy to measure. Slug, and then wrap the slug with a .001 leaf from your feeler gauge set. Measure, then subtract .002. Done. Don't overlap the gauge, just loop it around the slug.

The bottom of the grooves have a W cut into them. Look closely you'll see 'em. Weird.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Full length pics of one with your targets are anticipated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast