Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder for .40 S&W

Boolit Master

Powder for .40 S&W

I am the owner of a new Rock Island 1911 in .40 S&W and have a question. What powder are you using to reload cast boolits with? I see many options listed in the Lyman book, but would like some real world results. Not necessarily actual loads, but actual powder results. TIA

I load 40 S&W using the Lee 401-175-tc standard lube groove and the NOE 402-180-RN. I have used HS6, CFE Pistol, Bullseye, and Titegroup for loads that all work and shoot well in my pistol.
    I use starting to mid range load data from the Hodgdon data site. and I get good feed and function. I haven't tried for full power loads to this point.
    I don't shoot the 40 as much as I do other pistols so I am satisfied with the loads I have tried.

Boolit Master
    HS6 for me. Have used Titegroup in the past.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm currently using Titegroup and the Lee 401-175-TC. Looking at getting the NOE 402-180-RN mold as well.

Boolit Master
    For pistols I used Unique, Bullseye and 2400 for years. Then changed from Bullseye to WW231 for light/small loads. If I ran out of one I'd also use shotgun powders like Red, Blue or Green Dot.

Then switched to AA 2, 5 and 7. When Accurate discontinued #5 I switched to Titegroup for all my med power loads.

It really does not make a whole lot of difference to me. Some are a little dirtier than others. Some meter better out of powder measures. Unless you are going for max loads they all perform about the same. These days what matters most to me is how well they run through the powder measure.

Boolit Master
    700x with plated lead.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    For pistols I used Unique, Bullseye and 2400 for years. Then changed from Bullseye to WW231 for light/small loads. If I ran out of one I'd also use shotgun powders like Red, Blue or Green Dot.

Then switched to AA 2, 5 and 7. When Accurate discontinued #5 I switched to Titegroup for all my med power loads.

It really does not make a whole lot of difference to me. Some are a little dirtier than others. Some meter better out of powder measures. Unless you are going for max loads they all perform about the same. These days what matters most to me is how well they run through the powder measure.
    When did Accurate (Western Powder) discontinue #5, i use a lot of it and just bought some at my local Sportsmans Warehouse. Looked at Accurate's website and it is still listed there?

For years my go to powders were 5g Unique or 4g Red Dot for the Lee 401-175-TC in the mid 900's but during the powder shortage, I've been using Titegroup (just want to use it up until I get rid of the 8 pound jug) or my favorite BE-86 which shoots very comfortably for me at 5.6g and a touch above 1000 fps. When I first shot these, I thought I was well below 900 fps because it seemed so soft but I was surprised that they chronied so fast. Maybe I was just so used to shooting this gun that it only felt softer. Oddly enough 6.0 and 6.4g only got me 10 and 40 fps more MV respectively. No need for that much powder for that little extra speed so 5.6g has been the standard load for me.

This is out of a 4.25" M&P 40.

Boolit Bub
    I have used clays for many years and it gives a light recoil, clean and accurate load. I use clays with lead or plated boolits. 3.5 gr with 180 gr boolits.

Boolit Master
    Red Dot/Promo or WSF.

I haven't loaded the 40 cal in a long time. (I sold my Ruger P-94) however, I still have my load data for it. I used to cast the LEE 175gr TC bullets and I used 3 different powders. AA#5, HS-6, and Bluedot. I liked the AA#5 the best according to my notes.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    I tried all the usual powders in the book. They all worked good for my pistole. In my hi point carbine Hs6 worked the best for slightly smaller groups. The lee 175 tc And the 165 gr plated xtream or Rainer hp plated bullet worked really good. I also found that Hs6 that the starting load worked good but as I increased the load the groups tightened up. As I got closer to the max load I got a ten shot one ragged hole group at 25 yards. This was only with the carbine, Iam not that accurate with the pistole yet.

Boolit Master
    I’ve used Red dot, Blue dot, Unique and HS7 with 180gr boolits.

Boolit Buddy
    Longshot works well for me.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have used TiteGroup, ETR7, Clays, RedDot, and several other powders listed in the loading books.

Just follow correct loading proceedures and the load data available in the books!

I NEVER publish my load data on public forums.

Banger

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 5" gun and a 3" in 40. Both do their best with power pistol, though they need different diameter bullets. AA2, Red Dot, Herco and Unique are also rans.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Man
    WST works well with 180 grain bullets in my Glock

Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    Longshot works well for me.
    +1

Works well for me too.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all of the feedback.. I did load some up with Universal and Unique that I had in the cabinet. I will look into some of the suggestions that were presented here. There are a lot of newer powders that look promising as well.

Boolit Buddy
    I have run 1 pound od Blue Dot through my Shield, right now I'm playing with HS6, because I didn't like how Blue Dot metered.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast