Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maxim 50

Boolit Master
    The suppressor or silencer was developed around the same time as they were for the internal combustion engine, and there are three main reasons why they were seldom or never used by the few diehards who still used muzzle loaders at that time. Neither is impossible to work with but both are still a nuisance.

One is the fouling, which can now be minimised by the use of black powder substitutes or one of the few muzzle loaders designed to cope with smokeless. Otherwise it would need to be removed and washed out with water. Still, so does the gun, and how many shots a day do you need on deer?

Much the same applies to the obstructive of any patch, wad or sabot used. Substantial sabots in particular might jam sideways and damage the baffles. A grooved and lubed bullet would probably be best but see below.

The final difficulty would be in loading. Possibly the suppressor would have to be removed every time. but again, in hunting you don't often have to reload a muzzle-loader quickly. Any elongated bullet passed down through a suppressor, unless it is groove diameter and relies totally on upsetting on the first impact of gases, is liable to end up misaligned. It doesn't matter which way up a round ball reaches the muzzle, but for patching, see above. I don't suppose a suitably sized unpatched ball, driven into the rifling, is out of the question, since it works in breech-loading smooth and rifled shotguns. Another possibility to help alignment would be a steel or brass tube, thin enough to fit between bullet and baffles.

Boolit Mold
    The maxim uses a loading tube. It also specifically states not to use sabots or patches. They have a list of appoved/reccomended bullets that meet that. My short phone call with then said that PC lead bullets would work the same provided a safe load is worked up. But no round ball, cloth or paper patching.

Boolit Master

Inlines are not allowed on this forum guys all seen in search were that kind

Boolit Master
    Geezer, I’m with you in having a strong preference for Traditional Muzzleloaders, but I wasn’t aware we can’t discuss anything that loads from the front on this forum. I mean, it’s labeled as “Muzzleloading”, and doesn’t specify beyond that. Is this a new thing or did I misunderstand the rules since I tend to stay in the various “suppository guns” sub forums here?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Inlines are not allowed on this forum guys all seen in search were that kind
    The sticky says Black Powder rifles, pistols and, shotguns. Which this is. Nowhere does it say no inlines.

Boolit Grand Master

Must be thinking of another forum.
    Aim small, miss small!

Boolit Master
    At least it’s not just me!

Boolit Master

Ok, to clarify:

[B][U]Minimum Requirement:[U][B] 500 ft lbs @ 50 Yds

Recommended is 900 ft lbs @ 50 or 100 yards for harvesting deer @ 100 Yds?

It sounds confusing but as I interpret it, the state has a required 500 ft lbs minimum at 50 yards but recommends 900 ft lbs. As long as you meet the 500 requirement, your good to go reguardless of what the state recommends.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mooman76 View Post
    Must be thinking of another forum.
    I think many that frequent this section of this forum are members of said site.

Boolit Master
    Dsayer,
    .... guilty here. Then again, I’m on several others, but that one is great for traditional MLs.

Boolit Master

Opps wrong forum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12