MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maxim 50

Boolit Mold

Exclamation Maxim 50

Hello all long time reader. (300blk talk link over). And finally made an account for a specific project. Yes I cast a lot and need a new mold and can't find what I'm looking for. My goal is to take full advantage of the suppressed muzzled loader. (Two season of using a friends then bought this). My goal is 100 yards max shot. But I want a cast bullet so it's soft enough to expand. But big enough to be subsonic and meet power requirements. A quick Google search didn't return much on others making bullets for this combo.

Boolit Master
    50cal Lee REAL /RCBS 405gr FN cast with pure come to mind except I know nothing about suppressed as it don"t rhyme with muzzle loader /sorry Ed

Banned
    shoot a hollow point powerbelt.

Boolit Master
    What do you mean by "power requirements"? Is it something you have chosen yourself so might have a bit of wiggle room, or is it a State imposed limit of some sort?
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Boolit Master
    seasoned shooter's, please correct me if i am wrong............... but a subsonic will not have what it takes to penetrate at 100 yards.

Boolit Master
    A .45 ACP is subsonic, and it penetrates just fine well past 100 yds. Your question depends on what you’re trying to penetrate and your bullet weight and profile. I’ve taken deer at 100yds with my 1911. Not optimal, but I knew the trajectory exactly and needed to eat. A 230gr RN broke the near shoulder, and exited just behind the shoulder on a broadside shot. Muzzle velocity was 875fps, and I’m not even sure what it was doing at 100, but it was definitely enough. I bet your ML fires a bullet that is at least 1.5 times as heavy as mine was, so will penetrate deeper.

Boolit Mold
    The min is 500 ft lbs at 50 yds and recommended is 900 at 100yds. Most inline muzzle loaders with modern sabots and 3 pellets are in 1200+ ft lb range. I think I can hit 900 with larger bullet and a max charge of 120 grains. (Silencerco listed max in the book with the reccomended bullet however it was strongly reccomended not to exceed 100 grains of black powder and pellets were not recommend either.

Boolit Master
    Kam0t0 welcome to the forum.

Could the Silencerco suggestion be to keep it sub sonic? Thus making the silencer work well?
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    The load work up will be easy and fun as far as keeping it subsonic. But the ft/lb requirement is a math problem. Have you chosen a bullet yet?

Ok, just used the handloads.com energy calculator, and assuming a 400gr bullet, 775fps gives you 533 ft/lbs at the muzzle, so you really don’t need much to make the legal requirements you listed. 800fps gives you 568# at the muzzle, with 535# left at 50yds. However, you need the same bullet going 1150fps to make the 900#@100yds recommendation, so that won’t happen with a subsonic 400gr bullet. Interesting experiment. Keep us posted please?

For what it’s worth, all my ML rifle shooting is with a patched round ball, so to me, this is just a theory.

Boolit Mold
    I can do that I wanted to shy away from the list of reccomended slugs they list due to their availability around me. I also sent a message to silencerco stating what I was after and if they had started on a load.

This is quite an interesting topic . I don't have anything to add but I'm curious how will the suppressor play with either a sabot , lots of soft lube or Paper patching depending on which route you choose to go down ?

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Mold
    Either of those will put debris in the can. My only option is powder coat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kam0t0 View Post
    Either of those will put debris in the can. My only option is powder coat.
    And that gives you no help in softening or purging fouling.

All ballistics, and much of everything else, is a balancing of compromises; but this is stacking the compromises pretty highly - interesting puzzle.
    The first purpose of the Second Amendment is too often overlooked, fostering a liberty of mind and action necessary in the people of a free republic.

“Ironically, the only gun control in 19th century England was the policy forbidding police to have arms while on duty.”
    ~ Don B. Kates, Jr.

Boolit Master

Boolit Mold
    I found a straight walled hollow point slug mold looks like it's for a shot gun. 475 gr. It's used on eBay and there isn't much Info. I'm going to ask the guy to do a test cast and mic it. The next option would be swagging and more or less a larger copy of the hornady short jacket in 30 cal. I thought this through decently I figured prior to starting this. And what my easiest options were first. Plus if I swag I don't have to PC and resize. Just spend more on the initial dies.

Boolit Master
    This may be a dumb idea, but would a hollow base slug , like a Minnie, be worth considering? I know it’s not a sexy high tech solution, but I did warn you that I still use a cloth-wrapped round ball...

Boolit Mold
    Viable option minus it makes the slug lighter.

Boolit Master
    Both of Lee’s offerings are about 350-360 grains, so lighter than I was expecting, but still nothing to sneeze at. Like I said, no experience with your specific rifle, but am very interested in your project and wishing you success.

Boolit Mold
    Lee makes a 405gr. And if possible id like to get my hands on 20 slugs and try it.

Boolit Mold
    I found a few molds I'm interested in. And also looking at casting alloys to see which is softer.

The first mold I found I like:
    https://www.buffaloarms.com/502-550-...ld-jim502550fn

https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categ...LEE-515-500-6C

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast