RepackboxLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping Rust Off an Octagon Barrel? Help needed.

Keeping Rust Off an Octagon Barrel? Help needed.

I have a Winchester 1886 in 40-82 MFG 1889. My issue is the **** octagon barrel. Whenever I get a spec of rust on any other round barrel rifle, I just buff it out and re-blue. Now with the 1886, I spent a whole day taking the rust off the barrel markings, abit around the receiver, and the edges of the octagon barrel, it looked great! The next day, I woke up and took a look at the rifle... The rust already was visible on the edges of the barrel.

So I asked a gun smith, and he said there is nothing to do. It's common for octagon barrels to rust on the edges/corners. It dosent affect the performance at all, it just looks ugly.
    Im just looking for any piece of advice if someone has any. Il try to post pictures of the rifle and a video if I can find one.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tN9bj5Is2o

The only suggestion I have is a good quality oil on all the metal surfaces.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    I like G96 gun spray. Also use gunsocks.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Grand Master

Boolit Master

Ed's Red is as good as any I've used and better than most for storage.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Been using 30W or 10w30 motor oil on our firearms since I got out of the Green Machine in 74. Our stuff is in East Illinois humidity and we do not have rust issues. Simple wipe down off and on with an oily rag. Quart usually last 5 years...
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Everybody has their favorite. I have switched to using a small section of kitchen sponge to wipe on some of a batch of soft bullet lube I made years ago. It is a beeswax and canola mix if I remember correctly. It has worked at preventing rust better than anything I have tried.

Thanks for all the advice. I use Remington Oil in the spray can. I guess there is better products out there.

Boolit Master

I despise Remoil for storage of firearms. It is too light and doesn't do much good as a rust preventative. It has other purposes as a light lube, but not for storage

Boolit Grand Master

On my BPCR rifles I use a patch impregnated with Emmerts Improved bullet lube to wipe down after cleaningthem I also push it thru the bore a couple times. This leaves a heavy visible coat on the surfaces, I then wipe down with a clean dry patch to buff and smooth it out. And push this patch thru the bore 1 or twice to even and thin the coating. This works well forme and seems to do well for semi long term use.

Birch wood Casey Sheath seems to impregnate into the metal and or finish and does a good job of preventing rust. It apers and seems to act like the vanishing oils we used at work for rust prevention.

The last option is to wipe down with a auto wax let dry and buff out this has been used buffed and unbuffed for hunts in rough weather by hunters for years. It does work and appears to be good for longer term storage.

Most soft bullet lubes work well as a rust preventative also due to the ingrediants. Alox is a form of grease, beeswax and or paraffin are good sealants and keep air and water away from the surface. A small rag or patch impregnated with it will apply a coating that's durable and does good resisting handling and semi long term storage.

Boolit Man
    I use Ballistol oil,it is a good rust preventive and a little on a cloth will remove surface rust.

TGM

I can't see why the edges would be more prone to rust unless the blueing was worn off. Maybe some cold bluing to touch them up? Ahh saw the video, yup the edges do look bare. Not sure how that would effect value though but the oxide layer any bluing provides is a bit of a rust preventative.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

TGM is right on. I lived on the beach for 6yrs; from Separation from the NAVY until Marriage.

BALLISTOL, BALLISTOL, BALLISTOL
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

RIG grease on a rag

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I've coated the outside of my T/C Seneca's octagon barrel with a coat of Ox-Yoke BoreButter 1000+ after every day's shooting/hunting since 1985, w/o a speck of rust.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Same here as Pietro. I tried so many oils and rust inhibitors products (clenzoil Barricade Break Free said to stop rust and found they didn't last all that long. (evaporate) Oh some lasted a couple years but seldom longer. Originally started applying Ox Yoke Wonder Lube on my cap locks interior and exterior metals and found there was absolutely no need to be concerned with re-oiling every year. How I know?

I drop a bore light down my B/p barrels every Spring and their just as bright as the day they were lubed some 5 or 6 years ago. The moral of this story: if my B/p bores are bright and shinny no doubt my center fire bores sparkle. I don't know if Pietro would agree but the Trick in Wonder lubes use. It coats and saturates better when applied in a melted state.

Boolit Buddy
    I have fitted several barrels to various rifles of mine, that have been left as bare steel. I just use plain car wax, and they don't rust even though I live close to the beach and high humidity. Paste or liquid, Turtle wax.
    Car wax is formulated to take a fair bit of abuse from the hottest to the coldest, driest to the wettest climates. Just add another coat after a couple of months if needed. Its a lot cleaner than oil, and it will not damage any wood.

Boolit Master
    My experience with home applied bluing solutions is the bluing causes rusting to occur.
    The chemical just won’t stop working even after cleaning and oiling repeatedly plus it makes the metal smell bad even years after the bluing was applied.
    Find a way to neutralize the bluing solution then apply a chemical that features anti rust properties
    like EEZOX, Barricade etc.... not just an oil. Petroleum based waxes have a very poor reputation as a rust preventer. Maybe the new plastic polymer based waxes like those once a year car waxes.

Boolit Grand Master
    RIG, Eezox, Fluid Film, Corrosion-X, &synthetic motor oil. I'm trying a new to me product, just to experiment: T-9. A product from the Boeing Corporation, billed as a marine rust preventative. After it does it's magic, it dries in place with a very thin film coating of wax like lubricant. I've yet to confirm results. Those first four I listed are super, followed by a very good fifth.
    Last edited by 725; 04-21-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Boolit Master
    Store your rifle in doors at 50% or less relative humidity. Use one of the better rust preventing lubes like Hornady OneShot, Barricade or Frog Lube.
    There is a large corrosion test of most gun products that can help you avoid the fan boy products that don't really work in severe conditions.

Read this article. If the best products do not work you can move to the desert SW USA.

http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
    Last edited by EDG; 04-21-2018 at 06:05 PM.
    EDG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast