WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bikerbeans went South

Boolit Master

Bikerbeans went South

To South Carolina that is, to visit his sister. And since he was in the neighborhood we met to do a little pig chasing on the Savannah River. Since shotguns is our connect they were our weapons. We had a couple of days to hunt a friends property and got there Sunday pm. The fast moving storm front that had us dodging fallen trees stalled out into a steady rain but we made a brief expedition into the big river bottomland anyway. Just before dark we got into a bunch of piglets and sows when a few of the little ones showed themselves.....raining, near dark in the swamp....ok, enough excuses. Torched of some lee slugs at several moving in the reed cane and tallied one snack pig and a probable on a sow. BB couldn't get my 220 to cooperate in the rush so on we go. Moving back to the high ground got a look a bigger animal easing along the edge of a field. BB moved after him but I saw him cross the road ahead and gave chase. Finally got a 50 yd shot moving through some tall weeds and knocked him down with a lee slug but he gained his legs and made off. Caught hin laid out in the next clearing but he jumped up and gave me a butt shot only and didn't see him again....really dark now.

Ok this is a lotta talk so here's the summation: We killed six or so pigs on Monday and Tuesday with a couple of probables. A couple of old codgers ain't covering much ground walking so we puttered along in an old jeep. Most of the shots were running by the time we saw them crossing the 2 track through the woods. We won no marksmanship awards but It was a great blessing for me to meet and spend time with Tom Nolan, aka Bikerbeans. He's one tough nut who's not afraid to pull the trigger!
    Only took a couple of pics but enough to prove it happened.

Tom with his first of the trip, his full bore slugs take no prisoners
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	62.9 KB 
ID:	218750

My Lyman connected with this one trotting at about 100 yds

Views:	79 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	218751

Swamp all around

Views:	66 
Size:	53.1 KB 
ID:	218752
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a GOOD time, good memories to share around the fire!
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like a great time!

Are you required to use a shotgun or is that your weapon of choice? Never hunted pigs but it looks like an AR in .300 BO woukd be a good choice from your story.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Choice Don. It's a reward in itself to put these oddball loads we struggle toward perfection with to the test afield!
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Master
    Very nice ����
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Banned

Great thread
    Shotguns rule

I'm envious! Guess you can shoot hogs all year round?

Here in Denmark the wild boars are trying to get a foothold crossing the border from Germany. Due to some imagined risk of swine fever the boars are hunted down immediately by government decree . Other animals crossing the border is wolves and raccoon dogs. The raccoon dogs are deemed persona non grata and can be hunted, but wolves are considered an endangered species and are left free to roam - already taken a heavy toll on sheep, cattle and deer.
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned
    Very nice to be able to see friends pictures finally, now I know who is who.
    We should organize these hunts more often after learning from you.

Ajay Madan

Boolit Mold
    Congrats! Nice to see threads like this

Glad to see ya'll having a great time ... Would be fun. D

Boolit Grand Master

And a good choice it looks to have been! And looks a good time was had by all... except for the pigs that is.

Well now that ya'll know what I look like you understand why all the hogs were running.

Getting to meet and talk with Hal was by far the best part of this trip. A true southern gentleman and a most gracious host. Getting to shoot a wild pig was just icing on the cake.

I will let HT's hunt description stand as he can paint a picture with words. I do wish he had told about me wrestlin' the 14' gator, perhaps another time.

The land we hunted is beautiful. Wildlife is abundant but the vegetation stole the show. It was my first time hunting in a swamp. I can't describe it that well, it is kinda like being in another world.

A couple of years ago I posted I wished Ohio had feral hogs. I now retract that statement after having seen their excavating talents up close. Unbelievable how much damage they can do to a planted field.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Thank you for those photos !
    Fine way to launch lead ! Public service is applauded ! When do we eat ???
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds perfect! Glad you had such a good time.

Boolit Master

Way to go guys, WHACK them bad boys!! And that's what this site is all about, makin' friends and sharin' fun times!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

I would say that they have the makings of a fine bbq there smoke them for about 12 hr and the meat will fall off the bone add some baked beans and a vegie with a large glass of ice tea now that a meal fit for these two fine gentlemen that shared this story with us D Crockett

Boolit Master

Have to apologize for BB's exageration about the gator, it was only 12 ft
    Leonard Ravenhill

IMHO that swamp is worse than West Texas mesquite, cactus, rattlers & other nasty stuff. I won't bother going in rice fields for downed doves either.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

Aww, c'mon popper! Where's your sense of adventure?? If BB & Hogtamer were dancin' with 'gators all weekend, you can do it too!!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

Great story so glad to hear about members here getting together in meat space , haven’t hunted with a member here yet but everyone I met has been a first date gentleman. Love chasing pigs around swamps and river bottoms, my last 3 or 4 hogs have fallen to home cast ,may have to do up some slugs ,a project I’ve been thinking on anyhow cause the wife’s 870 police with fiber optic sights is light compact and seems just the ticket for a mobile swamp hunt with some huge wicked cast slugs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast