Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 458 Socom or 450 Bushmaster 50 Beawulf AR 15 for a reloader/caster

Boolit Master
    I think the 458 is out for me. Not sure. Looks like the 450 bushy will run me 500 for an upper and a mag. Then dies and brass. I can not help but be drawn to the 50 Beowulf. Looks like 800 plus dies and brass. I am still shopping and have no made up my mind yet.
    Stop being blinded by your own ignorance.

Boolit Master
    Hi Outer, I went through this same thought process a couple months ago (tax refund gun lol).
    Socom was out cause bottle neck - just didn't want to go there
    Bushmaster uses "typically" lighter pistol bullets (yes, I know we cast some monsters in 452)
    Also, I have a 45acp upper - not the same class, but a 45 upper.

I just got a 50 Beo upper from Optics Planet - about $500 (Made by Radical Firearms - from my research a good quality upper) They have to call it a 12.7x42 cause Alex holds trademark on Beo.
    "12.7x42" might help your search also
    Alexander Arms wants about $720 for a plain upper, about $1200 fancy.

I went 50 because of the above reasons, and I already cast for 500 Smith and 50 AE.
    With the possible concerns with lube in the gas tube I'm going PC for this cannon.

I'm a little leery of a rifle that has a muzzle break from a Panzer tank !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0658[1].jpg   IMG_0660[1].jpg   IMG_0650[1].jpg  
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Bub
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	26639-1474x1106.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	51.3 KB 
ID:	218790

I run these in my suppressed 12.5" 50 Beowulf. They feed amazing, and since they are the same profile, I just keep my dies the same and adjust the powder measure when I switch between sizes. They are 594gr, 506gr, and 435gr boolit, and came from an Accurate Mold. The mold # is 50-xxxD, where xxx is the weight.

Boolit Master
    Gunslinger1911 Every time I see your profile pic it makes my day. I love that pic. Thank you for posting those pics. I am on the fence with the 50. Edging over fast. I will search that other way of listing it. This could be why I have not found much.

Dirtjumper895 them some good looking bullets. Thanks for posting that. I will be looking into this mold if I get a 50. (Im getting a 50 I just dont know it yet)

As for a tax gun, No this is a honey you please do this for yourself kinda thing. Wife found out I spent my gun fund to help another out and she knows I have put off buying anything for myself lately. Well I still buy just need to sell something else to do it and that is what I did. By chance I got a killer deal on a plain Jane lower. She knows I hate it when guys show up to the range and turn it into AR fest. Well (when) I go 50 beo at least I can brake that it out and make their pee shooters not so kewl anymore. In the last three months I have only seen two guns at the range other then an AR platform. Not counting the ones I bring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    Hi Outer,
    I'm a little leery of a rifle that has a muzzle break from a Panzer tank !
    What's wrong with that? Oh and Optics planet is saying the one you got is only 15". I was under the impression it needed to be 16" to not be a short barrel rifle. NYS equals no tax stamps.

Boolit Master
    I've had that pic for decades, just hits my funny bone every time.
    Your wife is a KEEPER !!
    Yea, you know it's gotta be a 50 !

400g, 465g, 425g, 475g, 535g, 570g

Gotta get to PC'ing those boolets !

And I'm awaiting the 385g HP Mihec !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0700[1].jpg  
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Haha, nastiest muzzle break I've seen.

I'll say typo on the description - farther down says 16".

BTW, good thing the brass lasts, (30k psi v/s 60k for 500 Smith). Starline brass is $60 / 100 !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master
    You typed here I sent you a pm. You answered my question without even knowing. As for that brake you might change your mind after you read that PM.

Boolit Master
    Jeepers, that brake on the Alex is HUGE !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

50 Beawulf to me was out because I do nothing else casting or reloading in 50 Cal. and shows no advantage over the others.
    450 Bushmaster being .452 has a lot going for it I reload and cast for 45LC and .460 S&W Mag. so my mold and bullet options would be very good. But I could not find an upper or a barrel at the time.
    458 Socom was the way I went Brownells had a barrel kit and upper receiver with the ejection port over sized for this round, so I built it brass is easy to get from starline, I cast and reload for 45/70 so the bullets and molds on the light end work well for it. it is plenty of gun for swamp pigs and deer, if a black bear comes along no problem, So I am going to keep going with it

Boolit Master
    Sad he will not return my calls.

Dh2 I see nothing wrong with 458. I just like straight wall cases better and like most dream of the larger toy. Right now midway has complete uppers in 450 bushy for 449 shipped to your door.

Been looking into this myself, don't buy before you look at tromix.com they have tons of barrels and uppers for all three since they specialize in big bores. I have also heard great things about radical firearms, they are supposed to make a great low cost upper. When you price out a big bore make sure to include dies, brass, and possibly a mold into the equasion. I believe the 50 beo dies were super expensive. I want to go 50, but i just have a hard time with case mouth headspacing since I don't have a straight wall restriction to deal with.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    adcoch1 So you would go with 458 due to its shoulder head spacing?

Just looked at tromix.com. They do not carry 50 BW. There is a good deal on 358 socom setup.

Yeah 458 is on my list. The brass is a little expensive but dies are $40 and bullets and molds are everywhere. Plus the headspace thing. In a bolt gun I wouldn't care but in a semi auto I want a case shoulder. Tromix USED to have a 50 beo barrel, looks like its gone now. Yeah and 358 socom is awesome too, but I am building a 35 whelen to scratch the 35 cal itch. Also the big bore I build will be a 10.5" sbr. If it works good I'll probably do a 16" upper too...
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Master
    My 50 is a Radical upper - nicely built.
    Primary Arms has them in and out of stock (16" not in stock now), seem to sell them as fast as they get them.
    Optics Planet in stock.
    Dies cost about the same as any other. Case is about the same as 500 smith with no rim.
    50 Beo does about the same out of a 16" bbl as a Smith 500 out of a 5" Just sayin
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master
    Humm With a code I have from doing a review it looks like I can get a Radical upper in 50 for 469.22 shipped to my door. Is this a good deal?

Boolit Master
    I would say good deal - mine seems to be well put together.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master
    I am not quite sure what I just did. It will take a week to set in when the post man stops by. $443.48 to the door. Now I need some brass and dies. I have projectiles.
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 04-21-2018 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Haha. Enjoy ! A little something to whet your appetite !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0705[1].jpg  
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

Boolit Master
    Oh well I thought I had projectiles. Guess I need some of them as well. Or a mould.

Is there an inexpensive mould option?
    Last edited by Outer Rondacker; 04-21-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast