Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RepackboxPBcastcoRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ruger dangerous game rifle 458 Win Mag

The boolits are cast with linotype. These are all light loads.

This may be part of the problem. Lino is like 22bhn IIRC. And you are shooting light loads. Boolit not bumping up to seal bore?
    Try 10-13bhn for light loads.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

If they were not sealing the bore, I would be getting leading, which I am not. Half the boolits I fired at close range over this time hit the target sideways.
    Besides which, the .460 boolits did little better than the smaller diameter ones. I expect that they were sealing the bore unless there is something really improper about the bore on this rifle.

Boolit Master
    I guess take the fattest mold you got and cast some soft slugs to slug the bore, see what you got.

Boolit Master

You didn't say what bullets you tried. Perhaps they were all long ones? I suspect you aren't driving them fast enough to stabilize them. If if were my rifle, I'd check the twist rate, just to make sure it isn't bizarrely slow, then I'd load up some full power loads, to see if they group any better.
    It could be you have a rifle that just won't work with reduced power loads. Perhaps that's why the previous owner sent it down the road.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

I would let it go also. Minute of Elephant isn't good enough.
    Maybe it will shoot full power ammo better but it would be expensive and painful to find out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 376Steyr View Post
    You didn't say what bullets you tried. Perhaps they were all long ones? I suspect you aren't driving them fast enough to stabilize them. If if were my rifle, I'd check the twist rate, just to make sure it isn't bizarrely slow, then I'd load up some full power loads, to see if they group any better.
    It could be you have a rifle that just won't work with reduced power loads. Perhaps that's why the previous owner sent it down the road.
    I am not interested in shooting full power loads in this rifle. When I was young, I had a rifle in this caliber that I shot full power loads in. I am not going to abuse myself that way again. I am too old and my shoulders will not take the abuse. If I can't get light loads to work, I can't use it.
    I tried 350 grain boolits, 400 grain boolits, and 500 grain boolits. Nothing worked any better than the others except for a Lyman 457121 weighing 475 grains that I seated long. It only worked marginally out to 50 yards.
    I am thinking that the problems stem from the freebore in the barrel. I don't seem to be able to overcome the tendency for the boolit to get misaligned when entering the barrel. Short of having the barrel rechambered without the freebore, I don't see a good solution at this point.
    I don't have the energy or desire to fiddle with this any longer. I have reached my 4 trip limit. If a gun doesn't indicate that it will perform acceptably in 4 trips to the range, it goes down the road. I have actually given this one 6 trips.
    I expect I just picked the wrong rifle to try this with. I suspect I would be better off with a good 45-70.

Boolit Master

Have you tried Lyman 462560 and sized the boolit big?

http://www.westernbullet.com/lyman462560.html
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Still a great deal on a rifle let me know if you sell it. I get as close to the quad cities to you.

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Have you tried Lyman 462560 and sized the boolit big?

http://www.westernbullet.com/lyman462560.html
    I used to have that mold and sold it to another member on the site a few months before this rifle came up. I may be regretting that decision, but nothing to be done about it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Still a great deal on a rifle let me know if you sell it. I get as close to the quad cities to you.
    PM sent.

Boolit Master
    That rifle has the banded front sight and sling base.
    I had a Ruger #1 with tight spots at the front sight and sling band.
    You might check your rifle for the same though the .458 has a much thicker barrel than does the .45-70.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Could be that you have a bum rifle, bad from the factory. That's why the previous owner sold it. I would contact Ruger, and explain your problem. They might be willing to take a look at it, and correct any issues. It doesn't hurt to ask.

Boolit Master

In the words of the immortal W.C. Fields: "If at first you don't succeed, give up. No sense being a darn fool about it." Project guns are supposed to be entertaining, not infuriating. Show that rifle the door like it was a Las Vegas wife with a purse full of meth.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Well, I traded the rifle off today for a gun that is as nearly the exact opposite as I could. I swapped it for a S&W 617 with a 6 inch barrel.
    I know I won't have trouble with the recoil on this one.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    My buddy hunts deer with a Ruger in 458 Lott. Load accordingly.
    I have one, fantastic gun. And you can shoot 458 winnag as 'shorts' to save the shoulder.

Boolit Master

Back in the 1980's I had a Interarms MAUSER Mark X in .458Win Mag.
    I shot the LYMAN/GOULD 330gr HP GC'ed over 36grs SR-4759. I think I got about 1600fps. #2 alloy. One inch groups, 3shots-50yds, one & a half inches at 100yds.
    Factory sights.

35+yrs ago I had Perfect Vision and a young shoulder.
    Last edited by Walks; 07-24-2018 at 09:13 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I haven't owned 77 458, but had #1 Ruger, Win70 and a Herters on a 98 action. All were 2nd used
    The Lyman/ Ideal 330 Gould HP was the main bullet I shot. It is my main bullet in original 45/70s
    and I've always got them cast up. Basically was shooting 45/70. loads in these 458s. They all
    shot well with these loads. I shot very few Jacketed bullets out of any except the Herters. I got
    this gun in my early 20s and thought it the end all of all cartridges. It didn't take me long to
    decide it wasn't a wonder gun just because it was biggest you could buy. I never did hunt with a
    458. Dirty Harry movie came out and that little piggy went to market.

If a guy wants to use one for fun and load 45/70 level loads in it, I can see no reason it wouldn't
    make a nice range gun for cast. Might even outshoot the average 45/70 for accuracy.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Well, I traded the rifle off today for a gun that is as nearly the exact opposite as I could. I swapped it for a S&W 617 with a 6 inch barrel.
    I know I won't have trouble with the recoil on this one.
    Good, now you have a toy you will enjoy.

Banned
    Taz I have the #1 tropical in 458 I shoot the lyman 385 gr and load the win 45/70 load in it sized at 458 with just ww lead and it shoots just fine no leading and brass lasts quite awhile.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123