Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Indoor target backing for pellet/ BB gun question

Indoor target backing for pellet/ BB gun question

Our sportsmans club what's to start getting into some year round youth activities I suggested the possibility of an indoor air rifle type of event every month . It would have to take place in the social hall . Since I brought it up I kinda got elected to research it further . The target backing would need to be virtually ricochet free for indoor use with BB and pellet guns we would want to cover one wall so we could have about 10 kids in a line sorta like NRA Highpower position shooting but less formal and more sportsmans club like . My first thoughts were about using thick 3-4" foam board backed up by free hanging layers of carpet . Anyone ever been involved in indoor air rifle shooting that could shed some light on what's needed or have some ideas ?

Thanks , Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Grand Master

Celotex sheeting backed with 1/4 plywood works good.

Not sure how you could assert out up, but rubber mulch will also work.

I filled a cardboard box with the stuff. Might have to get creative to use in your application.

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Hanging thick carpet pieces from the ceiling of my basement for my grandboys to shoot their BB guns down there is what I was planning to do sometime in the near future. A couple of layers one behind the other just in case I decide to use a pump BB gun. Been thinking about the same for "wax" or "Gluelits" as well pushed by just a primer in my handguns.

Also put some sort of a BB trap below to catch them for reuse if they can. I do not plan to let them use pellets.

Maybe something along those lines might be an idea to explore.

G'Luck! & I salute ya for trying to get youngsters into shooting sports!

2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I would nix the BB guns for two reasons, not as accurate due to nonrifled barrels and higher probability of a ricochet. For a general backstop, the carpet and old style carpet pad (non-foam) with a plywood backer will work for 10m type Air Rifles (AR). When you start opening it up to all classes of ARs for more possible participation with general ARs around the home, i.e. magnum springers and Pre Charged Pnuematic (PCP), 177, 20 and 22 cal, their power , report and penitration is significant. The above backstop will be insufficient.

For target traps, i have used a shallow box 3z4" deep with a 3/4" backboard a sheet of galvanized steel and then 1-3 layers of eletrical duct seal. For 10s of thousands of shots.

Check with the NRA for commercially available AR Target traps.

Another option is a snail/decelleration type of steel trap. I always wanted to build one for the basement but never had the time.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    All you need is an old carpet hanging as a back stop. That's what I use made a frame and hung two layers of small throw rugs at 30 ft nothing has ever went through the first layer. Made range upstairs for when I am to tired or lazy to go to range. Pellet pistol 600 fps. Great idea teach em young and have fun. You can't use pellet or bbq outside here with out getting arrested. Ten year old neighbor kid was shooting in back yard down the street .When police arrived and handcuffed him and off to the station they went.

Had great results with old phone books or newspapers bundled.The glossy papers like a magazine uses won't work as well as the uncoated thin paper like in the phone books.If you have access to a print shop .... a cardboard box full of cutter trimmings will work well... same advice as type of paper.You may be surprised how little paper it takes to stop even a high power rifle bullet

When I was a kid I would open the top of a half gallon milk carton, put a folded newspaper inside (open side down) and use it for a target. The BBs dropped to the bottom of the carton for easy reuse.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

For several years, I've used industrial-type rubber belting for both air pistol and 10M air rifle. Pellets that don't stick in the first couple plies just flatten and fall to the floor.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    I vote duct seal also. Traps pellets in the first 1/8" or so. Dunno about bb's, might pack in and make a hard surface causing ricochets. As said above, a rifled pellet gun (even a cheap one) is going to foster better pride in marksmanship.
    Duct seal comes in pound bricks at hardware store. Works and feels like playdough - just denser.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master
    Oh, and good on you for doing this !!! Let's get the next generation hitting the bulls eye !
    Maybe they'll be to occupied to eat Tide balls or snort condoms. lol
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Contact NRA Range Services

https://rangeservices.nra.org/

They will know what is considered safe.
    They may provide grant money.

Boolit Man
    Hang heavy rugs. The rugs flex to absorb the energy. You won’t get any ricochets

Boolit Grand Master

We made our archery stops from card board strips 2 ft wide and 8 ft long. These were laid flat and compressed between 2x4 frames with 3/4 10 ready rod on the corners. A strip 1 ft wide and 2x4 frames on rollers would stop pellets and bbs for a long time especially if you moved targets around on it. As it wears give the tension nuts a few turns and it compresses down and is good again. Mount the bottom frame on casters and it can easily be rolled around. This will trap and hold he pellets and bbs. A heavy clot sheet or carpet can be used also. Theres a lot of ways this can be done it how much your club wants to put into this.

The card board backstop works but I wouldn't use it for both archery and airguns as the bbs and or pellets may damage arrows.

Boolit Master

I used cardboard boxes with layers of newspaper inside when I was a kid, but I usually just shot outdoors.

My shooting club has a 10m indoor airgun range. For years there was a pulley system that held the targets up in front of angled steel plates.

The youth program has taken off, and we've got some serious national competitors shooting airgun at our range.

It's the opposite of what you're talking about, but our 10m range is being re-done to make it better for formal competition. The electronically scored targets are over $2,000 each and connect to a laptop for live scoring. As the de-facto electrician and maintenance man, I'm about to get intimately familiar with those fancy target scoring systems.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanks all for the ideas and input . The foam board and or card board in layers sounds good as there are two local companies that make these products .

Thanks ,Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    Pink or blue Styrofoam 4" thick or more, no ricochets. Plywood behind just in case.
    When the front of foam gets worn flip it around.
    "Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker