WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
PBcastcoLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: Wierd Star lube sizer punch

Boolit Man

Wierd Star lube sizer punch

I bought a .358 star sizing die and punch on ebay, from the pics on ebay the punch appeared to be a nose type like conventional top punches(not flat). Well package arrived and i was pleasently suprized to find it was actually threaded inside the nose part, 10-32tpi has anyone seen this done before, i imagine its for hollow points and such. Very interesting!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180419_081425.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	218716

Moderator Emeritus

I've seen nose punches, but never threaded.
    another guess might be that there is a threaded machine screw to provide a flat surface for using as a base punch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

With that, you can use a screw to make it into a flat punch, or you can use seating stems that are threaded the same to change the profile. I've got one someone made from brass that is threaded. It's actually a pretty good idea, since seating punches are relatively cheap, and once you cut off the stem to match the length needed, you can switch the punches back and forth pretty easily. If you have a lathe, it's easy to make other punches to screw in from bolts or screws that have the same thread and a head large enough to machine.

I've also seen this done with the part of the die puller that screws in where the top punch goes. Seating stems were cut off and used in it for cheap top punches.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    That punch is specially made for better seating/crimping of gas checks and puts the check on the base flatter as it tends to pull the check tight from the edges.

The Star machine was originally designed to size bullets base first. The top punches were made to fit the nose profile of the bullet, and that is what that punch originally was. I have several in that profile. At some point, someone has drilled and tapped it to accept additional add on profiles.

I have roughly 50 Star top punches in various diameters and nose profiles, and several of them are of the truncated cone shape, which this one was at one time. (and still is, except it's also drilled and tapped)

Any profile top punch of the proper size can be used to seat gas checks, since they apply pressure to the outside edge of the check, which has proven to be better than a flat top punch for that application.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Cool, definitely adds some options. I have no problem making inserts for this when the need arises.

ReloaderFred I have bought a piece of 1/4-28 threaded rod previously just for making small dia punches out of the die puller.

Yep, there are all kinds of options that way.

Fred

Boolit Master

Check the treads on the RCBS seater stems, IIRC they are 1/4 x 28, that is what we used. Think maybe Reloaderfred got the brass threaded one from us a few years ago. I made quite a few of them.

It may have come from you SWANEEDB, but I bought it from Rick Kalish, aka Rickets. I just bought myself a small lathe and once I get it set up I'll see what kind of mischief I can get into making some top punches to fit in it. It's not threaded inside, but I can take care of that easily enough.

Fred

Boolit Man
    What kinda small lathe did ya' get?

I got this one from Grizzly: http://www.grizzly.com/products/7-x-...l-Lathe/G8688#

They had a sale just before Christmas for $150.00 off, so I bought it. I just haven't had a chance to clear enough bench to set it up, since life keeps getting in the way.

Fred